DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Oslo-aread, Norway

BumblerBee

Reactions
Hi all!

I took the plunge and bought this beauty (should be arriving soon). In the meantime reading the manual and the forum posts, trying to learn what to do and, more importantly, what not to do, so as not to repeat the mistakes of the others.

Checklist so far:
* Have iPhone in Airplane mode before flying (to avoid disconnects?)
* Check that the battery is securely clipped on (to not lose power mid-flight)
* Have novice mode on
* Don't fly too low and avoid sports mode :)

I have some operations/gizmos questions:
* What would be the maximum windspeed considered safe for flying?
* I live in an area with a lot of water around, and plan to fly over water once I am comfortable with the controls. Will the following add-on be of help: Amazon.com: DJI Mavic pro SNOW WATER MOD protector NEON EDITION DRONE ON WATER FLUORESCENT: Camera & Photo
* Has anyone had experience with these shock absorbers? Are they worth getting? Amazon.com: UZOPI DJI Mavic Pro Upgraded Landing Gear Gimbal Protector with Shock Absorber Height Extender Kit Riser Set Stabilizers (Red): Cell Phones & Accessories
* Should I fly with the gimbal cover on to begin with to give the camera some protection in case I bumble? :)

I have some experience flying RC choppers and a hexacopter, and am really looking towards the in-air stability that Mavic promises

Last edited:
First off welcome to the group!
I would consider the max wind speed to be 15mph on the Mavic, I've flown mine in 18-20mph but it gets a little dicey.
As far as flotation devices, I tend to stay away from them, with how small the aircraft is any bulky flotation devices can cause dramatic effects to the aircraft.
The shock absorbers aren't necessary although some pilots like to have landing leg extensions when taking off and landing in taller grass.
Whether or not you fly with the gimbal cover on is your call, just remember it will affect your image quality, but don't forget to remove the gimbal clamp.

If you are used to flying RC Helis then you will have no problem with the Mavic, it's a piece of cake compared.

Thank you for the welcome and the answers!

So (courtesy Google converter) - about 6.5-7 m/s. Sounds like there will be enough good flying days with Mavic. On an RC Heli I tend to stay inside if the wind is 2-3m/s

I think I will keep the cover on - if it does not affect flight characteristics too much - until I am comfortable with the controls.

How is Mavic coping with humidity? Obviously a downpour is not a good condition to fly in anyway, but what about a light drizzle or even really humid air?

Also, what about winter flying? The specs say 0-40C (32-104F), but if it's just below the freezing point at about -5 - -8C (17-23F) are there any problems that can be expected? Any experience with that?

I am trying to get a feel on the operation envelope and how far it can be safely pushed.

humidity hasn't been an issue for me. I've flown between 20F and 95F with no problems. Keep your batteries warm in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .:)

Hi all!

I took the plunge and bought this beauty (should be arriving soon). In the meantime reading the manual and the forum posts, trying to learn what to do and, more importantly, what not to do, so as not to repeat the mistakes of the others.

Checklist so far:
* Have iPhone in Airplane mode before flying (to avoid disconnects?)
* Check that the battery is securely clipped on (to not lose power mid-flight)
* Have novice mode on
* Don't fly too low and avoid sports mode :)

I have some operations/gizmos questions:
* What would be the maximum windspeed considered safe for flying?
* I live in an area with a lot of water around, and plan to fly over water once I am comfortable with the controls. Will the following add-on be of help: Amazon.com: DJI Mavic pro SNOW WATER MOD protector NEON EDITION DRONE ON WATER FLUORESCENT: Camera & Photo
* Has anyone had experience with these shock absorbers? Are they worth getting? Amazon.com: UZOPI DJI Mavic Pro Upgraded Landing Gear Gimbal Protector with Shock Absorber Height Extender Kit Riser Set Stabilizers (Red): Cell Phones & Accessories
* Should I fly with the gimbal cover on to begin with to give the camera some protection in case I bumble? :)

I have some experience flying RC choppers and a hexacopter, and am really looking towards the in-air stability that Mavic promises
Howdy from Wyoming BumblerBee, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Thanks for the warm welcome, folks! The bird should arrive tomorrow! Excited!
I am on the third read through the manual already :) Noticed that the manual actually indirectly mentions winter-flying (-10C to +5C) in the "Low Temperature Notice" of the battery section.

The site has already been a trove of information, even before the first take-off.

I'll be sure to share some videos once I'm comfortable in the air with it to concentrate on more than flying. :)

It has arrived! Fly More pack is truly awesome!
Charging the 3 batteries, upgrading, trying the built-in flight sim (really handy to get to know the app while on the ground), and doing other pre-flight staff.
Will try a timid beginner mode flight tomorrow...

One minor inconvenience so far - I have to take off a thin bumper that is on iPhone 6s Plus before connecting it. Otherwise it does not fit into the clamps.

The first flight was excellent! Light wind of 2m/s, sunny. Flew a bit in the beginner mode, then disabled it to try tracking modes and went as high as 50m :)

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme