DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from SC

Dalton916

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Hey fellas, glad to sign up. I’m a Professional Land Surveyor and got my part 107 a couple weeks ago. I had my own Surveying company for many years and have worked for the USFS the last 4 years. I got my Pt 107 for that job, but the availability of drones is poor and we have to fly a set number of times each qtr to remain carded. A personal drone will meet that demand. I haven’t bought one yet, but have been doing a ton of research and am pretty sure I will be getting a Mavic 3T for various reasons.

Anyway, glad to be onboard and to learn from y’all.

got my Pt 107 for that job,

Welcome from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, USA. We have a Member's Map in the Upper Right of the Title Bar. Click on "Members" and then Click on "Member's Map…" Check it out and you might find some new flying friends.

Congratulations on getting the part 107!

We have a whole sub-forum on the 3T, check it out…

I would suggest you also contact local colleges that teach this and speak to the facility and get their recommendations… There are also YouTube videos on the subject, check them out and see what they are using…

Good Luck!

...have worked for the USFS the last 4 years. I got my Pt 107 for that job, but the availability of drones is poor and we have to fly a set number of times each qtr to remain carded. A personal drone will meet that demand. I haven’t bought one yet, but have been doing a ton of research and am pretty sure I will be getting a Mavic 3T for various reasons.

Are you allowed to use a DJI drone for the USFS?

Just wandering about the whatever news concerning Government use of foreign made drones here in the US. 🤔

I think it's blah, blah, stuff. But before you invest, might want to check.

Otherwise, good choice of drone for the task. 👍

Last edited:
I was wondering that myself.....A Mavic 3t would be very nice..........If they let you fly it for USFS.

Hey fellas, glad to sign up. I’m a Professional Land Surveyor and got my part 107 a couple weeks ago. I had my own Surveying company for many years and have worked for the USFS the last 4 years. I got my Pt 107 for that job, but the availability of drones is poor and we have to fly a set number of times each qtr to remain carded. A personal drone will meet that demand. I haven’t bought one yet, but have been doing a ton of research and am pretty sure I will be getting a Mavic 3T for various reasons.

Anyway, glad to be onboard and to learn from y’all.
Does USFS get federal grants? if so it might be forward thinking to look at alternatives before committing to a DJI bird. Autel have a very good quality FLIR thermal payload for their EVO 2 line.

They Definitely will not let me fly the 3T for them. We have 3 Anafi thermals, but they are shared across the region. I’m getting the 3T for myself.

The drone presence is going to be expanding quickly across the region though and I just want to get caught up and then stay on pace or ahead of it.

@Dalton916 - Thanks for joining us @ MP!

I don't know, so asking because of my curiosity. If you have your own business and have a Mavic 3T you bought for your business, why would the forest service not let you fly your drone? My understanding is if an agency, in this case the USFS, gets Federal $, they can not buy a DJI drone. Does that mean they can't use those Federal $ to hire a company to survey if said company has a DJI drone?

@Dalton916 - Thanks for joining us @ MP!

I don't know, so asking because of my curiosity. If you have your own business and have a Mavic 3T you bought for your business, why would the forest service not let you fly your drone? My understanding is if an agency, in this case the USFS, gets Federal $, they can not buy a DJI drone. Does that mean they can't use those Federal $ to hire a company to survey if said company has a DJI drone?
Good question. I think a contractor could use a DJI drone, but the FS themselves can not purchase and use one.

I still survey privately for select instances and can use the drone I purchase for anything that is allowed for the general public as it relates to the FS, but not use it for FS purposes as an employee. Which I have no intentions of doing so anyway.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet