DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from sunny Yorkshire

RichR

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I'm awaiting delivery of a Mavic Mini Fly More package, that's currently somewhere between Shenzhen and the UK. I've been flying RC fixed wing and helicopters (well, more crashing than flying those) for years and have had a Hubsan H501S for a few years (as well as a couple of tiny Cheerson quadcopters). The Hubsan has been great, and as it uses the same LiPo battery packs as some of my planes I can go out and fly all afternoon. But it's a bit lacking in the camera department (fixed FPV camera really), and the flight controller isn't as advanced as newer quadcopters so it's a bit limiting as to where and when I can fly.

So I've been looking to add another quadcopter to my collection - this time spending a bit more money on something a bit more polished. So after a lot of research (enforced working from home can be handy), I narrowed it down to either the Parrot Anafi or the DJI Mavic Mini as being in my price range and having the features on my list. I've decided I can't be doing with buying in China on Gearbest/Banggood etc and waiting months for something that may or not have any support (although I can't knock Hubsan for that, they've been superb with updates). In the end I decided the Parrot is a bit much money for what it has above the Mini, and things I'm not massively likely to use regularly. So after reading a good percentage of posts on here and RCGroups, as well as a lot of Youtube videos it was ordered. :)

As a reasonably experienced RC pilot, I'm fully aware of flying conditions (I've destroyed planes due to wind being more than I expected at height), and pre-flight checks (it amazes me that people just take a drone out of a box, stick in a battery and fly without checking the props are straight and tracking properly and there are no loose bits - you'd never risk a £200 helicopter like that, so why do people do it on a £400 drone?). So don't expect I'm going to post about how I crashed and don't know why unless I've already ruled out weather, signal, manoeuvring mistakes and just not looking where I'm going. I'm a BMFA member and will stick my CAA Operator ID on the Mini even though it's not technically necessary.

Now where's that DHL delivery van? :)

Rich.

Welcome to the forum. I also fly a Mavic MIni and have had many successful flights. You are right about managing your expectations and learn about your aircraft. You will find all sorts of support and comments. Wish you well on your flights. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Hi everyone,

I'm awaiting delivery of a Mavic Mini Fly More package, that's currently somewhere between Shenzhen and the UK. I've been flying RC fixed wing and helicopters (well, more crashing than flying those) for years and have had a Hubsan H501S for a few years (as well as a couple of tiny Cheerson quadcopters). The Hubsan has been great, and as it uses the same LiPo battery packs as some of my planes I can go out and fly all afternoon. But it's a bit lacking in the camera department (fixed FPV camera really), and the flight controller isn't as advanced as newer quadcopters so it's a bit limiting as to where and when I can fly.

So I've been looking to add another quadcopter to my collection - this time spending a bit more money on something a bit more polished. So after a lot of research (enforced working from home can be handy), I narrowed it down to either the Parrot Anafi or the DJI Mavic Mini as being in my price range and having the features on my list. I've decided I can't be doing with buying in China on Gearbest/Banggood etc and waiting months for something that may or not have any support (although I can't knock Hubsan for that, they've been superb with updates). In the end I decided the Parrot is a bit much money for what it has above the Mini, and things I'm not massively likely to use regularly. So after reading a good percentage of posts on here and RCGroups, as well as a lot of Youtube videos it was ordered. :)

As a reasonably experienced RC pilot, I'm fully aware of flying conditions (I've destroyed planes due to wind being more than I expected at height), and pre-flight checks (it amazes me that people just take a drone out of a box, stick in a battery and fly without checking the props are straight and tracking properly and there are no loose bits - you'd never risk a £200 helicopter like that, so why do people do it on a £400 drone?). So don't expect I'm going to post about how I crashed and don't know why unless I've already ruled out weather, signal, manoeuvring mistakes and just not looking where I'm going. I'm a BMFA member and will stick my CAA Operator ID on the Mini even though it's not technically necessary.

Now where's that DHL delivery van? :)

Rich.
Welcome to Mavic Pilots from Dayton Ohio USA! Enjoy your new Mavic Mini, Fly safe and have fun!

welcome to the forum,if you have a nice large garden then the MM is ideal to learn on, use it in c mode and watch out for the dreaded trees, if there is no more than a hint of wind then you will be able to use the prop guards ,and be aware that they restrict the flight envelope, but they do save the drone if those pesky trees get in the way

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Old man mavic - yes, I have a decent sized garden, though not quite enough room between trees for the H501S really (it's about twice the size and weight of a Mini), but should be ample for the Mini. I usually go through a gap in the trees and up high over my neighbour's paddock to get a bit more room to fly around whilst staying VLOS. Once we're allowed to travel again, I'll get out to more open areas.

Reactions: old man mavic
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

I'm in the very far south of North Yorkshire - south of Selby. So no danger of flying into hills round here unlike the bulk of the county!

Me too! Carlton. You’re probably my next door neighbour or something....

Rich; Welcome from Chicago the Windy city, don't do any flying in the City itself is under lock down as many big cities. Mavic Pilots forum is a good tool to help you gain more knowledge, with a large number
of talented pilots from all over the world. Please check out Mavic Help and Mavic tips, just let your fingers' do the walking. Lots of information, here on this forum. Blue Sky's and safe flying to you.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

Me too! Carlton. You’re probably my next door neighbour or something....

Heh not quite, I'm the other side of Camby. But I do work at a certain large place with cooling towers :)

According to the DHL tracking, my Mini arrived in the UK early on Friday morning and has been in Leeds (30 miles away) since 6am that day. But due to the Easter Bank Holidays it looks like I'm not going to get it until Tuesday.

It's arrived :) Ordered on 3rd April, delivered on 14th April - though there was the Easter weekend, which delayed things by four days. Still not bad given the state of the world at the moment.

Now charging up the batteries whilst I work, so hopefully first flight this evening assuming the weather is good.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143