DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello my St. Louis, Missouri

Wilkie

Reactions
Hello everyone,

New guy here from St. Charles, MO, which is a suburb of St. Louis. I actually grew up in central Pennsylvania but moved to Missouri back in '95 to continue my aviation career.

I'm a 50 something commercial pilot that grew up flying r/c airplanes and helicopters. I decided to switch gears a bit and recently purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum. I'm hoping to use it to take photos and videos of my wife and kids while we're camping/fishing and vacationing. Family stuff......

Holy cow these things are incredible! Compared to r/c airplanes, and especially the collective pitch helicopters, the drones are incredibly stable and easy to fly (relative). Hovering with the drone vs hovering a cp helicopter are two entirely different animals, lol.

I have so much to learn about all the various modes. I've been watching tons of tutorials and reading on this forum. One of my biggest priorities is making a pre-flight checklist. I've already made a rookie mistake on my 3rd flight and managed to turn on the drone before I removed the gimbal lock. Geez that's frustrating! I purchased an Aterox gimbal lock and cover (it's a one-piece unit). Tonight I modified it so hopefully I won't make the same mistake twice. Let me know what you think...

IMG_6040.JPG

So far, I'm running with an iPad Mini 4 on a MavMount 3.0 and it works great. I tried using my iPhone 6 but the phone battery only lasted about 30 minutes before the battery died. I have the dreaded old Apple battery.

Anyhow, just wanted to check-in and say hello. I'm looking forward to soaking up as much info as I can from you guys and gals.

Wilkie

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic+Air/20180213/Mavic+Air+User+Manual+v1.2.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Wilkie,I live in St.Ann and am new to the drone and even though it was pretty windy today I got some flying time in Mo bottoms and it’s one of the places I found so far the the drone will even start.
This site has a wealth of information as I am still learning and I am very cautious when I get to fly my spark.
I also have a Mavic Pro also which I haven’t even tried to fly.
Welcome and good luck.

Thanks for the welcome Playthru. I bet it’s a little challenging finding useable airspace down in St. Ann-so close to Lambert. I live about 1 mile outside of Spirits airspace so I have a little room to maneuver.

These drones are amazing. I’m trying to play around with all the settings and figure out what works best for me. I believe I have the drone and gimbal settings almost dialed in. Now I’m concentrating on the video/camera settings.

Have a good one.

Wilkie

Well let me give you some advice for what it's worth . Get everything where you feel good and take a screenshot of em.I always seem to forget or used to and when I would update app if you ever do
you will be glad ya did . See I normally eat after I finally get it where I want it and that messes up my memory .:)

Hello everyone,

New guy here from St. Charles, MO, which is a suburb of St. Louis. I actually grew up in central Pennsylvania but moved to Missouri back in '95 to continue my aviation career.

I'm a 50 something commercial pilot that grew up flying r/c airplanes and helicopters. I decided to switch gears a bit and recently purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum. I'm hoping to use it to take photos and videos of my wife and kids while we're camping/fishing and vacationing. Family stuff......

Holy cow these things are incredible! Compared to r/c airplanes, and especially the collective pitch helicopters, the drones are incredibly stable and easy to fly (relative). Hovering with the drone vs hovering a cp helicopter are two entirely different animals, lol.

I have so much to learn about all the various modes. I've been watching tons of tutorials and reading on this forum. One of my biggest priorities is making a pre-flight checklist. I've already made a rookie mistake on my 3rd flight and managed to turn on the drone before I removed the gimbal lock. Geez that's frustrating! I purchased an Aterox gimbal lock and cover (it's a one-piece unit). Tonight I modified it so hopefully I won't make the same mistake twice. Let me know what you think...

View attachment 31699

So far, I'm running with an iPad Mini 4 on a MavMount 3.0 and it works great. I tried using my iPhone 6 but the phone battery only lasted about 30 minutes before the battery died. I have the dreaded old Apple battery.

Anyhow, just wanted to check-in and say hello. I'm looking forward to soaking up as much info as I can from you guys and gals.

Wilkie
I grew up in STL for 21 years then joined The USAF in '82 and became a Fighter Mechanic and got a A & P License out of it. I have been flying drones on and off for about three years! I just received my M2P a couple of weeks ago! Still learning on it! I can remember when St. Charles was just Country land! I was already planning to do the same thing to my Gimbal Cover! Us in Aviation think a lot alike! ;^p

I grew up in STL for 21 years then joined The USAF in '82 and became a Fighter Mechanic and got a A & P License out of it. I have been flying drones on and off for about three years! I just received my M2P a couple of weeks ago! Still learning on it! I can remember when St. Charles was just Country land! I was already planning to do the same thing to my Gimbal Cover! Us in Aviation think a lot alike! ;^p
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and more of your view of the world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato