DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello my St. Louis, Missouri

Wilkie

Reactions
Hello everyone,

New guy here from St. Charles, MO, which is a suburb of St. Louis. I actually grew up in central Pennsylvania but moved to Missouri back in '95 to continue my aviation career.

I'm a 50 something commercial pilot that grew up flying r/c airplanes and helicopters. I decided to switch gears a bit and recently purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum. I'm hoping to use it to take photos and videos of my wife and kids while we're camping/fishing and vacationing. Family stuff......

Holy cow these things are incredible! Compared to r/c airplanes, and especially the collective pitch helicopters, the drones are incredibly stable and easy to fly (relative). Hovering with the drone vs hovering a cp helicopter are two entirely different animals, lol.

I have so much to learn about all the various modes. I've been watching tons of tutorials and reading on this forum. One of my biggest priorities is making a pre-flight checklist. I've already made a rookie mistake on my 3rd flight and managed to turn on the drone before I removed the gimbal lock. Geez that's frustrating! I purchased an Aterox gimbal lock and cover (it's a one-piece unit). Tonight I modified it so hopefully I won't make the same mistake twice. Let me know what you think...

IMG_6040.JPG

So far, I'm running with an iPad Mini 4 on a MavMount 3.0 and it works great. I tried using my iPhone 6 but the phone battery only lasted about 30 minutes before the battery died. I have the dreaded old Apple battery.

Anyhow, just wanted to check-in and say hello. I'm looking forward to soaking up as much info as I can from you guys and gals.

Wilkie

Hello,
It is a pleasure to welcome you to the Mavic Pilots forum.
I hope that you will be able to use the forum to further your safety knowledge and for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Mavic quadcopters.
Enjoy! Thumbswayup
*MAVIC PRO MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171219/Mavic Pro User Manual V2.0.pdf
*MAVIC PRO PLATINUM MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/20171123/Mavic_Pro_User_Manual V1.8.pdf
*MAVIC AIR MANUAL: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic+Air/20180213/Mavic+Air+User+Manual+v1.2.pdf
*GO 4 APP MANUAL: DJI Go 4 Manual

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .:)

Wilkie,I live in St.Ann and am new to the drone and even though it was pretty windy today I got some flying time in Mo bottoms and it’s one of the places I found so far the the drone will even start.
This site has a wealth of information as I am still learning and I am very cautious when I get to fly my spark.
I also have a Mavic Pro also which I haven’t even tried to fly.
Welcome and good luck.

Thanks for the welcome Playthru. I bet it’s a little challenging finding useable airspace down in St. Ann-so close to Lambert. I live about 1 mile outside of Spirits airspace so I have a little room to maneuver.

These drones are amazing. I’m trying to play around with all the settings and figure out what works best for me. I believe I have the drone and gimbal settings almost dialed in. Now I’m concentrating on the video/camera settings.

Have a good one.

Wilkie

Well let me give you some advice for what it's worth . Get everything where you feel good and take a screenshot of em.I always seem to forget or used to and when I would update app if you ever do
you will be glad ya did . See I normally eat after I finally get it where I want it and that messes up my memory .:)

Hello everyone,

New guy here from St. Charles, MO, which is a suburb of St. Louis. I actually grew up in central Pennsylvania but moved to Missouri back in '95 to continue my aviation career.

I'm a 50 something commercial pilot that grew up flying r/c airplanes and helicopters. I decided to switch gears a bit and recently purchased a Mavic Pro Platinum. I'm hoping to use it to take photos and videos of my wife and kids while we're camping/fishing and vacationing. Family stuff......

Holy cow these things are incredible! Compared to r/c airplanes, and especially the collective pitch helicopters, the drones are incredibly stable and easy to fly (relative). Hovering with the drone vs hovering a cp helicopter are two entirely different animals, lol.

I have so much to learn about all the various modes. I've been watching tons of tutorials and reading on this forum. One of my biggest priorities is making a pre-flight checklist. I've already made a rookie mistake on my 3rd flight and managed to turn on the drone before I removed the gimbal lock. Geez that's frustrating! I purchased an Aterox gimbal lock and cover (it's a one-piece unit). Tonight I modified it so hopefully I won't make the same mistake twice. Let me know what you think...

View attachment 31699

So far, I'm running with an iPad Mini 4 on a MavMount 3.0 and it works great. I tried using my iPhone 6 but the phone battery only lasted about 30 minutes before the battery died. I have the dreaded old Apple battery.

Anyhow, just wanted to check-in and say hello. I'm looking forward to soaking up as much info as I can from you guys and gals.

Wilkie
I grew up in STL for 21 years then joined The USAF in '82 and became a Fighter Mechanic and got a A & P License out of it. I have been flying drones on and off for about three years! I just received my M2P a couple of weeks ago! Still learning on it! I can remember when St. Charles was just Country land! I was already planning to do the same thing to my Gimbal Cover! Us in Aviation think a lot alike! ;^p

I grew up in STL for 21 years then joined The USAF in '82 and became a Fighter Mechanic and got a A & P License out of it. I have been flying drones on and off for about three years! I just received my M2P a couple of weeks ago! Still learning on it! I can remember when St. Charles was just Country land! I was already planning to do the same thing to my Gimbal Cover! Us in Aviation think a lot alike! ;^p
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and more of your view of the world.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman