DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello! New to Drones

did the firmware upgrade, it didnt disconnect as often but still did towards the end of a 10 min flight.

Hey there, Name is Dragos.
Got a wild hair and decided to buy a DJI Mavic, got the fly more bundle.
Have flown a Phantom 4 once, for about 10 min and i loved it, i've bought my son a cheapie drone and that was fun, but also frustrating.

Purchased this drone with the intention of using the auto track function, taking action shots of my kids as they rides their quads & rzr, also water sports on the lake and the main reason, to take action shots of my off road adventures.

Hopefully it will arrive in a few days, meanwhile i'll be doing a lot of reading and watching videos to learn as much as i can and hopefully avoid all rookie mistakes.
Howdy from Wyoming dragos, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Reactions: dragos28
I need to upgrade the firmware, and maybe thats the problem. but the app continuously kept disconnecting from the drone, would say not connected.
Here's what I'd try (in this order):
  • Reinstall DJI GO 4
  • Close down all other running apps (to free up all available resources)
  • Enable airplane mode
  • Update the firmware

does the gimbal rotate left and right or is that only done with the drone?
The gimbal does not rotate left/right. You need to yaw (turn) the aircraft.

Here's what I'd try (in this order):
  • Reinstall DJI GO 4
  • Close down all other running apps (to free up all available resources)
  • Enable airplane mode
  • Update the firmware

The gimbal does not rotate left/right. You need to yaw (turn) the aircraft.

Thanks, I'll try that. this morning i ran through two batteries, the first on at 5am, it went smooth and i was happy.
went in grabbed another cup of coffee and decided to go through another battery.

nope, it just crashed and would not connect for the life of it. just no luck.
then i decided to land by pressing RTH on the remote. well it came back and just hovered over the spot where it took off from. wouldnt land, i tried landing it manually and ended up running it into my truck, it fell about 2 feet.. **** it..

anyhow, i'll give those suggestions a go and i'm updating the firmware on my wifes old ipad, maybe i'll just use the IOS i've been reading that its much more stable.

that litchi didnt even connect so i got a refund and uninstalled it...

then i decided to land by pressing RTH on the remote. well it came back and just hovered over the spot where it took off from. wouldnt land
That's what it's designed to do if it doesn't think the ground is safe to land on.

i tried landing it manually and ended up running it into my truck, it fell about 2 feet.
How did you manage to do that?

maybe i'll just use the IOS i've been reading that its much more stable
I've never had trouble with the few Android devices I own. There are so many of them available and they are much more configurable than Apple devices, so that opens the door for more potential problems to creep in. People seem to have less trouble with Apple devices (as long as it's one of the Apple devices on this list). DJI employees also tend to favor Apple devices, so I'm assuming DJI might spend more time working with them.

That's what it's designed to do if it doesn't think the ground is safe to land on.

How did you manage to do that?

Maybe it was the pebbles that was throwing it off.. idk but thats where ive been launching and landing it the few times i have flown it.

i tried to force it down with the joystick, it wouldnt respond and it went down by itself, i accidentally pulled back the right hand joystick and that sent it into my truck. operator error. was getting frustrated with it not landing for 5 min, and the app not connecting.

i tried to force it down with the joystick, it wouldnt respond and it went down by itself
When the Mavic is close to the ground, holding the left stick down initiates "Forced Landing" mode. Once initiated, the Mavic will auto land itself. It takes a second or so for that to kick in, so it might seem like nothing is happening at first.

If you'd like to be able to manually land the Mavic without assistance, you'll need to disable the "Landing Protection" setting in the following section of DJI GO:

DJI-GO-Landing-Protection.jpg

only problem with that is that i was unable to use the app! lol

but i did hold the left stick down for longer than two seconds and it did not land. who knows.

anyhow, i decided to give it a try with my wifes iphone and it did seem much nicer, the battery was too low to fly for more than a few min but i did like how it instantly connected and it even gave verbal prompts, didnt do that on my phone.

i wont be changing phones but i might just go pick up a ipad mini to use with the drone.. have a dedicated device just for that.

i might just go pick up a ipad mini to use with the drone.. have a dedicated device just for that
The iPad Mini 4 is a nice tablet. People rarely complain about problems with it.

only problem with that is that i was unable to use the app! lol

but i did hold the left stick down for longer than two seconds and it did not land. who knows.

anyhow, i decided to give it a try with my wifes iphone and it did seem much nicer, the battery was too low to fly for more than a few min but i did like how it instantly connected and it even gave verbal prompts, didnt do that on my phone.

i wont be changing phones but i might just go pick up a ipad mini to use with the drone.. have a dedicated device just for that.

I use an iPad mini 4 and no issues whatsoever except for once when I changed to cinematic mode and the app went blank and was disconnected from the mavic. Other than that no issues!

So I uninstalled the dji app, reinstalled it and turned on airplane mode on my Nexus 6p.
Went for a fly and towards the end it disconnected twice.
I'm not sure if the phone caused this issue but I switched to sport mode and the remote froze up. Luckily the drone returned to home on its own.

I guess they really did make it for the iOS platform. Also I wasn't able to use any of the automatic functions, like follow me or poi.

Upgraded my mavic game.

Hard case

7f443f67c0fc3cbb71331ea6c800f33f.jpg

iPad mini 4

9c453f27bb721be83b29e1d2312ba450.jpg

Flying with the iPad is 10x better than with my Nexus 6p.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78