DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! CPU loaded!

Ntexguy

Reactions
I am currently flying a MA2 in conjunction with an iPad Mini 4. If I am correct, DJI indicates that the Mini 4 is compatible, however,
any time I fly i see the following 'Mobil Device CPU fully loaded. Related Performance will be affected'. The same response comes up
when I fly my older Mavic Pro with the iPad as well. Does anyone know what 'performance will be affected? I there something I'm just not thinking about?
Any response would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
Wichita Falls, TX

It sounds like the application is possibly exceeding the device's performance level. Compatible could mean "barely functional" and as the applications grow they can grow beyond the lower performing device's computing power.

Reactions: old man mavic
For a MA2, the minimum iPad Mini is the Mini5 otherwise with earlier models you will get the CPU overloaded message. You could try quitting everything and clearing the cache. That might help, sometimes you will get that message and it won't affect the drone at all until you try something like Active Track or high frame rates.

This is not the first time I have seen this mentioned, I think more current versions of Fly for IOS have higher CPU usage now and the iPad 4, which used to work, is now borderline or Fly's CPU usage has exceeded the iPad 4.. You may have to look into upgrading to an iPad Mini 5 or 6 Gen to eliminate that issue.. as the iPad 4 is now 7 years old.. it was released in 2015.

the CPU usage level with the GO4 app is considerably lower than the new Fly app so the device you are using should be fine for flying the mavic pro which uses that app
the Fly app however is much more power hungry, and the CPU cannot cope with it on older i Pad devices

Reactions: Capt KO
And I'm afraid CPU demand is only going to get worse. My iPad (7th gen), which was released just three years ago, generates that same message. And I only use the iPad for flying. So it's not surprising the five year old iPad mini can't keep up.

Another symptom I experience is "frame jumping". During flight, glancing down at the screen, I see the what the drone sees, of course, and then suddenly, it jumps ahead, as if the drone magically jumped ahead 10-20 feet. It's rather unnerving. My iPad just can't up.

However, later, when I review downloaded video footage, there is no jumping. Just smooth video, recorded properly. So that's good.

I'm looking at upgrading as well. Although the smaller, new M1 iPad would be great, it's a little difficult to justify almost a thousand bucks for it, for my needs.

So I'm thinking about upgrading to the iPad released just before the M1 iPad. Hopefully get a couple years out of that one. Hopefully. Which would be more than I got with this iPad. (about a year before I ran into this issue)

- Jeff

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
And I'm afraid CPU demand is only going to get worse. My iPad (7th gen), which was released just three years ago, generates that same message. And I only use the iPad for flying. So it's not surprising the five year old iPad mini can't keep up.

Another symptom I experience is "frame jumping". During flight, glancing down at the screen, I see the what the drone sees, of course, and then suddenly, it jumps ahead, as if the drone magically jumped ahead 10-20 feet. It's rather unnerving. My iPad just can't up.

However, later, when I review downloaded video footage, there is no jumping. Just smooth video, recorded properly. So that's good.

I'm looking at upgrading as well. Although the smaller, new M1 iPad would be great, it's a little difficult to justify almost a thousand bucks for it, for my needs.

So I'm thinking about upgrading to the iPad released just before the M1 iPad. Hopefully get a couple years out of that one. Hopefully. Which would be more than I got with this iPad. (about a year before I ran into this issue)

- Jeff
Since all recording is done on drone itself, you're not going to see the video stutter or jump as you might on the remote because of distance or interference.

If your pondering a M1 iPad, you can look into the iPad Air that costs less than the Pro models with M1, course if your looking at models with higher memory capacity, the cost of course goes up,

When the warning appears, flying the screen can be hazardous to your health. The on screen lag can be dangerous with several seconds behind actual movements. Be prepared to fly home visually as out of sight will be difficult. Mini 4 only worked with the original FLY app but stopped after the first update. The cpu upgrade on the mini 5 works fine. I only use the old mini 4 with GO 4 app on my Phantoms. Wish DJI had kept it with newer Mavics.

If your pondering a M1 iPad, you can look into the iPad Air that costs less than the Pro models with M1, course if your looking at models with higher memory capacity, the cost of course goes up,
You know, that might be the way to go. Originally, I discarded the idea of an M1 iPad Air, but it might be just the right fit. Using Apple's trade-in option, I can get about $185 for my current iPad. That would knock the 256GB M1 iPad Air down to around $564. Hmmm....🤔

With the Fly app getting more power hungry perhaps if you use an older iPad then consider not doing the continual updates. These updates are not always needed for your specific drone. If it flies ok and you are happy with it then don’t update.
My iPad 4 had same problem so have updated the tablet but have now stopped unneeded app updates.

The observations about the "bloat" of the current DJI Fly App are what I experienced with a whole "stable" of older iPads. Even my Mini 6 will sometimes dim the display on a hot summer day.
Summer came early to the DFW area this year. :)

Give consideration to the bloat being all the rest of he apps you have loaded. You might start with deleting everything you don't absolutely need (if this is a secondary device) or at least get rid of the stuff you no longer use if this is a primary device.
Each app you load takes up some cpu capacity, so the fewer the better.

Even my Mini 6 will sometimes dim the display on a hot summer day.
This is more a function of iPads themselves rather than the app although I'm sure working the CPU that hard in the heat accelerates the process.

This is not the first time I have seen this mentioned, I think more current versions of Fly for IOS have higher CPU usage now and the iPad 4, which used to work, is now borderline or Fly's CPU usage has exceeded the iPad 4.. You may have to look into upgrading to an iPad Mini 5 or 6 Gen to eliminate that issue.. as the iPad 4 is now 7 years old.. it was released in 2015.
I started flying my MA2 with an iPhone 6. I quickly started seeing that msg, but found that performance didn't seem to be affected. The tiny little phone screen prompted me to move to a 10 inch Pritom tablet, purchased on Amazon for about $100. It's an Android, but would not initially run the DJI software successfully. There is a good hack on YouTube that got me past this obstacle, and I now enjoy both the much larger screen size and the freedom from the dire "CPU overload" warnings.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31