DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help! Crashed MM into pond...

tasselcarey

Reactions
Please help. I crashed my MM into a pond about 2 feet away from shore. The wind was picking up over the water and i wanted to make sure it landed on land, unfortunately trying to guide MM in hit a branch and it crashed by the shore. I grabbed it within 3 seconds, pulled out battery. Being a new pilot I stupidly tried to put in another battery and check life. Blinker green once then I pulled it out and shut off. Shook MM for a few minutes. Then went home, and currently am drying it with very cool blow dryers (been 30 min). What should I do next? Rice? Or IPA soak and dry again? Please help. I have care refresh but would like to avoid the hassle since my crash was only for a second in fresh water.

Silica gel if you've got any, just keep the battery out of it for a long time and keep the blowers going. Rice is OK too. Don't be tempted to try the battery again, but I fear the worst..

Salt water or not? Read here...

Salt water is much worse, but you can try it...

Silica gel if you've got any, just keep the battery out of it for a long time and keep the blowers going. Rice is OK too. Don't be tempted to try the battery again, but I fear the worst..

no silica gel. Yes I now understand my quick new battery check may have busted up the circuits. Hoping for the best but if not carerefresh...

Salt water or not? Read here...

Salt water is much worse, but you can try it...
Freshwater. And clean too. When I pulled out drone there was no mud or any visible algae.

Freshwater. And clean too. When I pulled out drone there was no mud or any visible algae.
OK. Read through thread in the link I posted, maybe you can use some of it. Putting battery in and turning it on was a mistake, but it's done now.

More:

What should I do next? Rice?
NO.
And forget cat litter too... you don't actually need a desiccant... patience is what you need most. Circulate fresh air over it with a fan or blow dryer.

Even when pond water looks clean and drinkable, there's still probably dissolved ionizing minerals which can cause corrosion. If you can get it all dry quick enough, it might not have time to corrode.

Alcohol should flush the ionic water and not itself cause corrosion, especially since alcohol evaporates a lot faster.

At least you have refresh to fall back on.

Reactions: umanbean
rice=old wives tale ..

Reactions: umanbean
I'm a drone tech. Compressor and blow gun to blast out majority. Be careful how you do this on the sensitive areas. If you can take it apart a little and blow more even better. The less water evaporates off the boards, the less corrosion, and the less hard water deposits.

I once toured a plant where that did fire restoration for an insurance company I represented. One of the problems after a house fire is many of the electronics - even though not damaged by fire and still working - may have smoke residue on the interior. Every time they are powered on and heat up a nasty smell is produced. What was the process they used to clean the items? TV's, stereos, computers and such were all opened up and then washed down with small handheld high-pressure washer. The solvent used? Just plain water!

Once the soot was removed the items were transferred into a "hot" room where the temperature was about 110 degrees F (if I remember correctly) and stayed there for a couple of days. They were then removed' reassembled and returned to the customer. We had next to no problems with item failure using this process.

Personally, I would make a hot box with a small light bulb and a box that included a thermometer to monitor the temperature. Put the Mini in an allow it to enjoy the tropical temps for a few days. Maybe add a little sand to the bottom so it thinks it's a vacation on the beach! :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Gkinghrn
The water per se wouldn't be particularly bad for a quick rinse, the problem is having absolutely pure water, free of any salt or other minerals. And there's always the problem of it remaining trapped under the shields.

If the product has been submerged into water I find it reasonable to rinse it with low pressure distilled water, under tap water if it's not too hard. But once that has been done it needs a good rinse to some inert that would displace the water and the minerals it carries, both for time of the operation (a solvent dries quicker) and to be sure any left over residue doesn't attack the metal surfaces of the electronics, especially after the unit has been powered up again.

Of course if the unit was retrieved from a 48 hours stay at the bottom of a riverbed it is reasonable to rinse it with same river water it's been submerged in to displace the muds.

Personally I wouldn't do any sort of solvent rinse. You have no way of knowing what damage it may or may not do to other parts. The method I mentioned above is used by a nationwide professional cleaning service that does thousands of jobs per year. No solvent, just water wash and allow to dry in a warm environment. Sometimes less is more.

Reactions: timinator
Thanks to everyone for good replies. To recap, after retrieving, I drove home holding the drone out my car window to get some air through it. At home, I ended up keeping two blowers on cool pointed at either open end of the MM. I kept these running for 2 hours. Next day a pack of silica gels came from Amazon, and I kept my mavic in a sealed container with about 20 packs for 3 days sitting on my sunny window. I never rinsed the drone because it was in fresh water for literally 5 seconds and was really on surface level. This morning I tested the drone and everything powered on perfectly normal, camera looks great. I am very happy, once I replace the two snapped propellers I think I will be in the clear.

Reactions: twobob and Dedal
Even when pond water looks clean and drinkable, there's still probably dissolved ionizing minerals which can cause corrosion. If you can get it all dry quick enough, it might not have time to corrode.

Alcohol should flush the ionic water and not itself cause corrosion, especially since alcohol evaporates a lot faster.

At least you have refresh to fall back on.
i didn’t use water yet. Just air to dry and it powered on. Would you recommend going back with water now (or alcohol wipes) and getting rid of those excess minerals? Or just let fate happen and stick with the drone as is.

I did use rice to dry out the battery that was involved in the crash. Seemed to help (not hurt).
If your battery has been in water, see page 2, Item 10 of the attached document. Then study the whole document. This should have been read before you ever operated your drone.

Attachments

• Mavic_2_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_EN.pdf
    423.7 KB · Views: 13
If your battery has been in water, see page 2, Item 10 of the attached document. Then study the whole document. This should have been read before you ever operated your drone.

to clarify- this was for a mavic mini. Either way I think making sure the battery is in good shape and will charge after waiting a significant time to ensure it isn’t corrosive is a good idea.

I'm a drone tech. Compressor and blow gun to blast out majority. Be careful how you do this on the sensitive areas. If you can take it apart a little and blow more even better. The less water evaporates off the boards, the less corrosion, and the less hard water deposits.

hey! i need help repairing my mavic mini. can i mail it to you? please give me your email address so we can talk thanks

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason