DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help, is it typical to act as PIC for another business?

JMerrick

Reactions
Hello everyone!

I've had my Part 107 for about a year. I pursued this to sell prints and potentially further other business aspirations I have in the future.

I was approached about flying for a business that is well outside my field of knowledge and they want to use software I'm also unfamiliar with (Strayos). After explaining this, they said they'd like me to come on so they have a part 107 pilot, work with their crew to get them familiar with the drone, and help with the integration of this software. I quoted them an hourly rate that I felt was higher than I'm worth, and they accepted.

Is it a normal thing for a business to seek out an existing Part 107? I'd never really considered catering to businesses until this opportunity presented itself. What do you think would be an appropriate hourly rate if they provide the equipment (DJI Phantom 4) and I'm just essentially directing/teaching. Also any feedback relating to the software would be great. I have cursory knowledge of photogrammetry, although it is something I want to dive into with my recent upgrade to the Air 3.

Is this a new mining/drilling/stockpile startup? For that kind of work, I think the minimum they'll require is a phantom 4 RTK and a D-RTK2 mobile station but the ideal bird for jobs like this would be an M300 carrying a P1 camera. Straytos is quite sophisticated software. It also looks to be a pretty steep learning curve for photogrammetry. An interesting proposition for you to walk into at the ground floor level.

What it sounds like is that they need a certified operator to give them credibility. If you're happy with what they've offered: go for it and embrace the challenge!

What it sounds like is that they need a certified operator to give them credibility. If you're happy with what they've offered: go for it and embrace the challenge!
sounds like a good foot in the door I would do it. I have been to 2 different companies now just to show them what it takes to get started. I suspect that many companies hire 107 pilots for training purposes.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kjghome