DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Congress seems to be inching closer to banning DJI Drones

This may be an unpopular position, and I'm a big DJI fanboy too, but I wouldn't object to a reasonable tariff to be used to subsidize the development of a competitive drone industry in the US.

sUAV technology and products are becoming a strategic National Security concern not from the standpoint of spying, but rather as a domestic capability. The Russia/Ukraine war is showing this in spades.

Drones are becoming like other hi-tech weapons, and it's foolish to depend on another country for them, especially a putative adversary.

Who here remembers Sematech in the 90s, and the Japanese "threat" to IC design and production? Same idea.
That would be easier to swallow if there was an equivalent USA made option. I'm no big fan of China, but I keep wondering how they got so far ahead of us with drone technology.

DJI will not be selling very many drones in the US until the dust settles on this. This should be a golden opportunity for US companies to step up to the plate.

This should be a golden opportunity for US companies to step up to the plate.
Why would a US company "step up?" Because they believe the government is plowing thru and paving the way for a US company to swoop in and take up the market where DJI has been boxed out? The reality is no real company can put any faith in that tactic and they know you'll never succeed by having your own government wipe out the competition and hand you the spoils; any company that takes that is ridiculous if they think it will last and the government won't one day come for them. And consumers don't fall for that nonsense. Any company that drops into a market that has been decimated by the government, we already know that company is substandard and useless otherwise they wouldn't have succeed without a government handout. Without serious competition like DJI, your US drone company will be late, buggy, half-baked, overpriced, and super non-responsive to customers. You'll be lucky to get even *one* software update in the first year. Look, that's not how great America companies are made, by the government making up false narratives, passing silly legislation, and squeezing out the competition so an American company can have the space all to themselves. I get the idea is they'll learn and grow and eventually thrive but that's a fantasy, it never happens that way when it's forced. It will take a US company 25 years to get where DJI was 2 years ago.

If you pull together all the money you have and you go to start your own US drone company and the legislators go oh never mind we were wrong about DJI, nothing to see here....where will that leave you? Ever heard the metaphor poem "The Snake?"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Rchawks
Look, that's now how great America companies are made, by the government making up false narratives, passing silly legislation, and squeezing out the competition so an American company can have the space all to themselves.

Please share the names of a few of the companies upon which you base your conclusion.

Reactions: anotherlab
Back to my suggestion, are any of you old enough to remember Sematech?

I agree that competition is critical. DJI needs some, and we need a domestic supplier that can serve national security needs.

So, rather than ban DJI, take the existing tariff (25%?) and plow it into subsidizing the development of one or more viable domestic competitors.

Back to my suggestion, are any of you old enough to remember Sematech?

I agree that competition is critical. DJI needs some, and we need a domestic supplier that can serve national security needs.

So, rather than ban DJI, take the existing tariff (25%?) and plow it into subsidizing the development of one or more viable domestic competitors.

Sincere questions.

A domestic supplier of what? Consumer and very light commercial grade drones, similar to most of the DJI product line?

Or higher-technology, larger, more complex drones with military capabilities?

I'm not seeing how the DJI drones most of us fly are related to national security.

Reactions: AZDave
I have no doubt the US could easily surpass the likes of a DJI drone in 5 years if they put their minds and resources to it. It would take a move similar to way other American companies have done which means you may have to live with foreign suppliers and foreign factories for a bit but first....you have to want it. America doesn't want it. That's my opinion. They don't want consumer drones.

I have no doubt the US could easily surpass the likes of a DJI drone in 5 years if they put their minds and resources to it. It would take a move similar to way other American companies have done which means you may have to live with foreign suppliers and foreign factories for a bit but first....you have to want it. America doesn't want it. That's my opinion. They don't want consumer drones.

I would have to agree- I think the US based drone manufacturers feel like the commercial/military segment is considerably more profitable than the consumer segment. I think the consumer segment is hard to compete, especially with how well entrenched DJI is. I'm hopeful Anzu will make some inroads and expand their offerings though. That seems like a pretty viable model to get started with. I wish them lots of luck.

It can be estimated that approximately 80% of the registered drones are DJI drones.
  • FAA Total Registered Drones: 790,918
  • Estimated DJI Drones: 790,918×0.80≈632,734790,918×0.80≈632,734
Thus, there are approximately 632,734 DJI drones flying in the USA.
Even at a conservative 1000 per drone comes to 632 million worth.
Don’t forget all the small drones that are not registered.

Sincere questions.

A domestic supplier of what? Consumer and very light commercial grade drones, similar to most of the DJI product line?

Or higher-technology, larger, more complex drones with military capabilities?

I'm not seeing how the DJI drones most of us fly are related to national security.

See: Russia-Ukraine war.

I'm not an attorney, but it seems to me that passage of a law to deprive owners of the use of their property would represent a regulatory taking -- something akin to the seizure of real property for the public good by exercising eminent domain. Takings by government require just compensation.

Check out the definition of "regulatory taking" online and see if you agree.

I'm not an attorney, but it seems to me that passage of a law to deprive owners of the use of their property would represent a regulatory taking -- something akin to the seizure of real property for the public good by exercising eminent domain. Takings by government require just compensation.

Check out the definition of "regulatory taking" online and see if you agree.
IANAL, but the courts have supported the government when the "taking" will increase the general public welfare.

Even if a government regulation is deemed a taking, it still may be viewed as justified, as long as it meets the noxious use test, also known as the Mugler-Hadacheck test. Under this test, a regulation adopted under the police power to protect the public health, safety, or welfare is not a taking, even if the taking reduces the value of property.
Source: takings

To defeat the passage of this law, you have to show that the reasons behind it are faulty. You can't beat it on First or Fifth Amendment grounds. The place to fight this will be in the Senate.

Reactions: mavic3usa
You can bet that a large corporation with many DJI Drones would be willing to take this matter to Court as a taking, A drone is property, and anytime the Government takes your property it must pay you for it. Given the number of DJI drones in the US, this would be a costly undertaking. They would probably grandfather the DJI drones already in use. We are close to a trade war with China which is a war we can't win right now. We buy most products from China and have no other means of supply. If China quits selling us manufactured goods we are in a heap of trouble.

You can bet that a large corporation with many DJI Drones would be willing to take this matter to Court as a taking, A drone is property, and anytime the Government takes your property it must pay you for it. Given the number of DJI drones in the US, this would be a costly undertaking. They would probably grandfather the DJI drones already in use. We are close to a trade war with China which is a war we can't win right now. We buy most products from China and have no other means of supply. If China quits selling us manufactured goods we are in a heap of trouble.
Have you see the front page of the news today? Something that was banned and taken away from the American people without compensation was ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS. ;)

Have you see the front page of the news today? Something that was banned and taken away from the American people without compensation was ruled unconstitutional by SCOTUS. ;)
If you are referring to the bump stock ban that was just overturned, then the compensation part is a bit misleading. The reason that the ban was ruled unconstitutional by the court was that the President did not have the regulatory authority to institute the ban. If Congress had passed a law with the same language, the Supreme Court would have allowed it. That was in Judge Alito's opinion. He voted in the majority but issued a second opinion.

The lack of compensation was not a factor in their decision. That argument may be viable for DJI drone restrictions, but I'm not a lawyer.

FWIW, the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019, which is what ‘‘Countering CCP Drones Act’’ (now in the NDAA '25 bill) was amending has a section on reimbursement to equipment owners. It was written in the context telecommunication companies that had existing equipment banned. It's not worded to support individuals and it only covers equipment purchased before the act took affect in 2020.

The language in the ‘‘Countering CCP Drones Act’’ did not add anything to cover individual or small businesses that own DJI drones nor does it provide a reimbursement path for drones purchased after 2020.

If you are referring to the bump stock ban that was just overturned, then the compensation part is a bit misleading. The reason that the ban was ruled unconstitutional by the court was that the President did not have the regulatory authority to institute the ban. If Congress had passed a law with the same language, the Supreme Court would have allowed it. That was in Judge Alito's opinion. He voted in the majority but issued a second opinion.

The lack of compensation was not a factor in their decision. That argument may be viable for DJI drone restrictions, but I'm not a lawyer.

FWIW, the Secure and Trusted Communications Networks Act of 2019, which is what ‘‘Countering CCP Drones Act’’ (now in the NDAA '25 bill) was amending has a section on reimbursement to equipment owners. It was written in the context telecommunication companies that had existing equipment banned. It's not worded to support individuals and it only covers equipment purchased before the act took affect in 2020.

The language in the ‘‘Countering CCP Drones Act’’ did not add anything to cover individual or small businesses that own DJI drones nor does it provide a reimbursement path for drones purchased after 2020.
I would prefer not to get in the details of how this happen since honestly, I know all about it and exactly what happened. My point was I had to destroy my property and I never received a penny for it and I'm trying to convey the message to folks here that this "takings clause" or whatever you want to call it isn't exactly what it means. There is no grandfathering assured or expected. Sure that ban and this ban are not exactly the same but there are lots of similarities for the impact on the American citizen and there are almost as many people impacted in both cases. My biggest point is there's a way to fight and there's a way to win and we in the drone community need to take a page out of their book when it comes to tactics, rallying around the cause, and pushing back on government. In another forum, we can cover all the differences if you wish but the fact remains, most of this fight centers around the ability to rally around the cause and come together as a community.

You might hold off on some of that laughter my friend. It's not the share of our overall debt that's a threat. Rather, it's the $650b that must be refinanced every month, and the impact China could have on the cost to refinance it that could be impacted by China dumping treasures, raising the interest rates we have to offer.

This is just to refinance current debt that is maturing. There is also new debt issued as well, so China can time sale of large amounts when we've announced an auction, driving up our borrowing cost.

The great majority of ALL of our debt is continually being refinanced, not just that held by China.

I would prefer not to get in the details of how this happen since honestly, I know all about it and exactly what happened. My point was I had to destroy my property and I never received a penny for it and I'm trying to convey the message to folks here that this "takings clause" or whatever you want to call it isn't exactly what it means. There is no grandfathering assured or expected. Sure that ban and this ban are not exactly the same but there are lots of similarities for the impact on the American citizen and there are almost as many people impacted in both cases. My biggest point is there's a way to fight and there's a way to win and we in the drone community need to take a page out of their book when it comes to tactics, rallying around the cause, and pushing back on government. In another forum, we can cover all the differences if you wish but the fact remains, most of this fight centers around the ability to rally around the cause and come together as a community.

So, you say that there was an organized association of tens or hundreds of thousands of bump stock owners who rallied around the cause and came together as a community to fight the fight and prevailed before the Supreme Court?

What is the page from their tactics book that DJI drone owners should adopt?

And you say that there are roughly equal numbers of bump stock owners and DJI drone owners?

So, you say that there was an organized association of tens or hundreds of thousands of bump stock owners who rallied around the cause and came together as a community to fight the fight and prevailed before the Supreme Court?

What is the page from their tactics book that DJI drone owners should adopt?

And you say that there are roughly equal numbers of bump stock owners and DJI drone owners?
No comment. 🇺🇸

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nenad