DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

help, just got my mini last Friday and its grounded. I cant trust it, it wants to flyaway.

I'm guessing that when you started up in the house you did not have gps connection with enough satellites, and for some reason (too dark, not enough contrast) optical sensors were not picking anything up either. This puts you in full Atti mode which means the drone only responds to stick input. Flying in full atti mode has been likened to driving on ice. You can do it, but it's not easy, especially if you are inexperienced. Go outside, make certain you are fully linked to a number of GPS satellites, wait until the nice lady tells you that the homepoint has been updated, then take off and have fun. Practice outside before you fly inside. Download the manual from the DJI website, fly safe, and remember that trees are evil.

Something to consider, perhaps.
Reading the OP's post/s gave me the impression that he is concerned about not having control of the drone and or that it is not responding appropriately to commands, i.e. he touches the throttle and the drone goes up at full throttle.
His interpretation of what he saw could be flawed due to unfamiliarity and hamfistedness when manipulating the controls plus all the comments about lack of satellites i.e. no gps, poor lighting and resultant ATTI etc are valid considerations and I am not disputing them............... BUT .........
What if the OP was correct and this is a malfunctioning drone and or controller and he takes it outside, where he has good light and GPS etc., and it sky rockets?????
That is why I suggested the anchored testing indoors first, if it is a wonky drone and or controller then, even if it escapes the tethers, it can not escape the house and is no threat to uninvolved people.

We’re you indoors when your friend was over? If so, that’s probably the problem.
I am a new flyer too. But the first thing I learned when researching my new in the box Mavic Mini was that flying in your house is highly recommended against. Seriously how high are your ceilings? Think about when you you watch the Drone ascend outdoors. At full stick up its moving. But outdoors you don't always get a sense of just how fast it is ascending unless you are looking at your screen while it is ascending.

I also have powered my Mini on indoors. (Never to fly it) to check syncing and camera. But I always get - "not enough satellites. Unable to fly" as a warning on my DJI app.

Lots of good replies for a lot of folks. So if I may add a few more words to my earlier reply echoing the sentiments of the other respondents.

While the Mini (and Mini 2) is diminutive in size and looks like a little baby drone, it is a tool- a powerful tool, not a toy. It takes practice to develop the skill level for certain situations, and before being able to execute precise maneuvers in close-in spaces which flying indoors requires, you need to know what to expect of it when you give it input from the sticks.

One thing that you may want to do when you get it outside, just get it off the ground a few feet and let it hover and see how it behaves. If it's stable outdoors in a hover it should be safe to so more with it as you learn it. Go slow and stay in open areas as you learn this thing. It won't take long.

Hopefully your drone isn't damaged and that it will work as it should.

I have picked up a few used drones at yard sales ( back when we had them ) and not knowing what they were going to do I would tie a braided fish line around the balance point of the drone then place it on two 2x8 on edge then loosely coil line on smooth surface under drone and firmly tie off about 20 feet and give it a try outdoors in daylight ( bottom sensors need a lot of light ) bring it up to hover and if it stays under control bring it down and set it free.
but if you trust the world around you forget the string and go for it.

When I got home Friday I unpacked it and watched video's and did everything I was told to do. Didn't get to fly it until Saturday morning, everything was great love it, got some great video's, I had to go do some yard work, when I came back inside my brothers girlfriend told me that she accidently nocked it of the kitchen counter. I looked it over and found nothing wrong with it. A friend was over and I was going to show him how it ran inside the house. When I started it up there was no problem, it just sat there waiting on me to tell it what to do, as soon as I pushed up on the left stick it was at full throttle , went strait to the celling, I was able to shut it down , but it did hit the floor. Again , looked for any damage and found nothing. Started it again holding it in my hand, same thing, sat at idol until I pushed up on the left stick, shut it down and tried with my phone and it did the same thing. Is it worth trying to fix , or do I wright it off???
Probably no gps.

Go outside, turn aircraft on and look for gps sats inducator in the fly app on your phone, than after a few secs take off. as soon as voice saying rth position is updatex you should be ok.

inside house you have little or. no gps.

Suggest you re read the manual.

Happy flying

If it is the mini2 and he is on app 1.2.2 he will not be able to use phantom help. Website owner working on a fix!
I am aware of that. I suggested PhantomHelp because it does not require registration and there are instruction on the webpage so it's the simplest way to share the log file for first timers. Right now only AirData can decode the .TXT flight log produced by FLY APP 1.2.2. Not sure if they have got a deal with DJI on this ....

Not having GPS has no effect on altitude.
Being in ATTI won't make it uncontrollable in altitude. The barometer sensor controls altitude, and they DO work indoors.

Can't be stuck stick since OP was able to start and idle motors, which you can only do with CSC.

I couldn't do anything until last night because of weather , that gave me time to think about a way to keep it from flying away. I used a fishing pole , tied the string on and got ready for a fight, but nothing happened. I started it up and then hit the launch button and it came off the ground about 2 feet, I did a few small maneuvers and then landed , took off again , did some small maneuvers and landed. Took the fishing line off and flew around getting farther and farther away until I regained my confidence.
Thank you all for your help.

Reactions: Prismatic
When I got home Friday I unpacked it and watched video's and did everything I was told to do. Didn't get to fly it until Saturday morning, everything was great love it, got some great video's, I had to go do some yard work, when I came back inside my brothers girlfriend told me that she accidently nocked it of the kitchen counter. I looked it over and found nothing wrong with it. A friend was over and I was going to show him how it ran inside the house. When I started it up there was no problem, it just sat there waiting on me to tell it what to do, as soon as I pushed up on the left stick it was at full throttle , went strait to the celling, I was able to shut it down , but it did hit the floor. Again , looked for any damage and found nothing. Started it again holding it in my hand, same thing, sat at idol until I pushed up on the left stick, shut it down and tried with my phone and it did the same thing. Is it worth trying to fix , or do I wright it off???
How hard to you push up on the left stick , was the drone still sitting on the table ..Having the file would help to see what actually went wrong. the throttle is pretty touchy if you are not use to flying drones . Plus being inside without prop guards is a bad idea imo

I couldn't do anything until last night because of weather , that gave me time to think about a way to keep it from flying away. I used a fishing pole , tied the string on and got ready for a fight, but nothing happened. I started it up and then hit the launch button and it came off the ground about 2 feet, I did a few small maneuvers and then landed , took off again , did some small maneuvers and landed. Took the fishing line off and flew around getting farther and farther away until I regained my confidence.
Thank you all for your help.
Ok, good news, so next tell us what you did next/how it went with no tether?

Floors drone inside on atti mode. It hits ceiling, and it's the drones fault? As stated it does have sensors that help it out in case there are no satellites. It does need satellite connection for positioning, which gives the drone stability (hovering smoothly). Atti makes the drone fly no better than a cheap toy drone with no sensors. Yes the sensors help, but won't save you all the time.

Sparky2525, sorry but I think there are several things wrong in your post.
"that help it out in case there are no satellites" from what I see these sensors (VPS) 'help out' when ever the ground is within their range.
Watch a mini etc. descend at full speed from altitude with the throttle held closed, as the ground comes within the range of the sensors the descent speed is automatically reduced. Having got used to that I nearly descended my Phantom 3Adv into the ground because its VPS? is not as 'good' and did not automatically slow the descent.
In fact I would say that low down the VPS is MUCH better at holding position than GPS and I would guess overrides GPS, indoors with no GPS my MM is cm perfect at holding a hover.
With in range of this VPS, GPS is not needed for position holding.
Outside my house the drone's view of the sky and GPS satellites is obstructed and I have to get it up to 3m plus to get satellite lock. Whlst it does not have the lock it hovers perfectly relying on VPS and possibly inertial sensors.
Yes GPS is necessary if you want to fly above the range of the VPS and, of course, the drone limits both height and range if GPS is not available

Yes the sensors "help", if the aircraft is being flown indoors there is no line of site to the satellites. Therefore only downward sensors. Again, they help but aircraft without satellites will be in atti mode which can /will make flying twitchy.

Also take into account the sensors need light to work. This is a tiny drive with tiny sensors in the bottom. Which work well on a well light day. Maybe not so much using lighting inside a home. In any case it will not stop a drone from ascending rapidly into a ceiling.

The attached are charts of an indoor flight literally just flown with my MM.
They show the flyCState at two points in the flight.
The narrow blue band, just before 4 seconds, is ATTI, 1/2 a second wide, and is the period where the drone lifts off and the sensors are looking at or are in the drone's shadow and not working.
The second area is the white space to the right of ATTI and is the 120 seconds where the the VPS had sufficient light to work. You might note that it is not ATTI but GPS-ATTI, I doubt the drone wandered more than 3cm during those 120sec.

Attachments

• ATTI no vision sensor no GPS.png
    ATTI no vision sensor no GPS.png
    47 KB · Views: 7
  • GPS ATTI ie vision sensors only.png
    GPS ATTI ie vision sensors only.png
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited by a moderator:
Both my mini and mini 2 fly inside the house with no issues, I tried to get them to go into ATTI mode but they both get good satellite reception inside.

The cats do not like the drone. The dogs want to eat it.

Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

You have found out the hard way how "touchy" the controls are. Sounds like you had a great start.
Anytime you have had a crash, do not only look on the outside but check all of the settings to see if anything else was effected.
If you are going to fly indoors then get some prop guard.
Eaglesurfing....good advice.... Can I ask you a question about your "Wet gear rain suit" do you Like them?? do they affect the flying patterns of the Drone at all. I have the Mini-2 and have been thinking of some sort of accidental Water Hazard rescue. But wanted to see what others in the Forum think of them...Ron

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bullet_magnet