DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP! Mavic crashed on roof!

EyeofRa,
I saw a video of a person lifting a few water bottles with his drone.

Perhaps you can convince another drone pilot to help retrieve your drone by connecting a hook and line to their drone ... and grab your drone off that roof? A Mavic will weigh a lot less than a few 500 ml bottles of water.

check it out on YouTube... There's this insane oriental guy who does all kinds of extreme things to his Phantom and Mavic Pro drones.

Reactions: RobP62
If you cant get it, then atleast give the name of the building/co-ordinates to some one who can. 3 weeks later, it maybe its salvageable.

If you cant get it, then atleast give the name of the building/co-ordinates to some one who can. 3 weeks later, it maybe its salvageable.
The building maintenance crew has already found it and are having a great time flying it :)

Pausing a Litchi mission will do that. Pause it. It will not give you full control. It will just sit there. You will not be able to move the mavic from it's paused position. I paused several missions and the only way to get back control, as the other users say, is to go into sport mode.

Reactions: Anthony Murphy
Well, if you have DJI care refresh, you can still have it replaced, even after a few rainy days eh? There may still be some grace. Hope you will be more careful. Mitigation plan next time?

You only have 48 hours after first drone activation to purchase DJI Care Refresh. The Mavic is currently the only one cover for water damage, I think.

You only have 48 hours after first drone activation to purchase DJI Care Refresh.
It's still possible to activate it after 48 hours. However, it'll require making a video to show all is in working order.

I'm sorry. Isn't this supposed to be the season of good will? The poor guy, regardless of anything else is in a jam. Jeeze.

Life is so much different in foreign countries than in the US. I know, thank you for stating the obvious. But think about it, 2016 or not, this is the Czech Republic. Not Nebraska. To add insult to injury, he's committed to a flight, and again, I'm guessing it's not Southwest Air with free changes. And!, its the busiest travel time of the year.

I really feel for the guy and to be honest, right now, I am so new to this hobby that I've never flown a drone nor do I own one. I will, and it will be a Mavic. Soon. I'm just trying to familiarize myself with as much information as possible so I am more ready when the time comes. Forums are great for that and I'm no stranger to them. How I stumbled in.

So again, right or wrong, incorrect or not, poor judgement or lack of knowledge, whatever, his situation, it definitely sux. It's a tough decision to make but I would likely do the same thing he did too just for the sake of a better vacation if that is the case. And no, I do not have a money tree in the back yard.

Then I would circle back and hope to recover the downed drone and take it from there. Maybe I could get one before leaving or a allie and assess the situation myself (as suggested earlier, great idea by the way). If buying one was an option then more power to him. I bet 90% or more of all the pilots out there have more than one drone.

In any case I wanted to post because I felt compelled to tell the guy, his story sounds like something that would happen to me and good luck, and if I were there I would do what I could to help. In other words I would have his back just because I was a fellow enthusiast.

Rob

I normally don't reply to posts like this but gotta chime in here. So this guy is flying his Mavic in an obviously populated area, in Prague, on a fully automated mission and basically crash lands on a roof and can't retrieve it because he doesn't know how to cancel said mission? Let's spin this story and say he crashed into a group of people and caused some very serious injury. Rob would you still feel so sorry for him? This has zero to do with being a fellow enthusiast and everything to do with patting a guy on his back for being a complete idiot.

Incorrect or not, poor judgement, lack of knowledge, whatever? Seriously you actually said that?

I realize there probably aren't the same kind of laws as we have in the US, but just google drone injuries and you'll see what these things are capable of. Sorry but I personally don't think someone like the OP should even have the right to own a drone after such a flagrant irrresponsible and negligent act. This is the exact type of episode that gives these UAVs such a bad reputation and the reason why we are all under such a microscope.

I use Litchi exclusively with the Mavic and have had zero issues aside from trying to use an old Galaxy S4 the first day that could not keep up . It works perfect with my Android Turbo . Pausing works just fine but I do not use that method as the Mavic will just hover wherever it is for a set amount of time before you can move it with the sticks . I prefer the flicking the switch into Sport mode instead as it instantly cancels whatever flight mode you are in and you have complete control at that point . I use it almost every flight at some point , not that I get into trouble but just to set it into my memory so that it will be a natural thing to do if something should happen . I've flown drones , both over the counter prebuilt and built from kits since 2007 and still fly a full FPV racing drone today . You should ALWAYS familiarize yourself with the functions and different escape methods with each new aircraft before you take it too far away and still practice emergency responses during each flight . I think that out of all the drones I have had over the years the Mavic certainly has the largest number of inexperienced pilots that I have ever seen which accounts for the vast majority of the "issues" reported . DJI is probably scratching their heads saying "WTF have we done ?"

Reactions: bucefalo
Hm, i bet 50-100usd can open the acess to any roof in Prague, just a matter of your negotiation skills ;)

Reactions: RC Mantis
I normally don't reply to posts like this but gotta chime in here. So this guy is flying his Mavic in an obviously populated area, in Prague, on a fully automated mission and basically crash lands on a roof and can't retrieve it because he doesn't know how to cancel said mission? Let's spin this story and say he crashed into a group of people and caused some very serious injury. Rob would you still feel so sorry for him?

Although he didn't kill anyone, you're right, safety should be #1. I take safety very seriously and it will always be my first priority, of course. I also intend to follow the laws as they imply to my flying situations.

.Rob would you still feel so sorry for him? This has zero to do with being a fellow enthusiast and everything to do with patting a guy on his back for being a complete idiot.

Incorrect or not, poor judgement, lack of knowledge, whatever? Seriously you actually said that?

Sorry you mistook my empathy for compassion or ignorance. That was not the case then nor is it now. And by that I mean I have been in situations where I knew I was in the wrong and a hand up instead of a beat down would have felt better.

I realize there probably aren't the same kind of laws as we have in the US, but just google drone injuries and you'll see what these things are capable of.

I have googled more safety related sites for drones than any other. Why, because you're right again, and because I feel it's important to see what not to do and not always the fun side of UAS life. Some of the injuries are very severe and I am sure the people with them regret it. Especially when it is not their fault. Again, I do not think flying over a heavily populated area is ok, and it's certainly not legal in the US. That is of course, unless you are Disney or the NFL.

On a side note, outta curiosity, I also Googled Blender Mishaps since I own and use both a Vitamix and Blendtec, and the data is alarming. "More than 7,000 people were injured by blenders in 2011".

I also think hand catching accounts for a lot of drone accidents too, although bad, I still do it with my TW. I intend to practice with the Mavic as well. Call me stupid, sorry. I want to be prepared for anything.

Sorry but I personally don't think someone like the OP should even have the right to own a drone after such a flagrant irrresponsible and negligent act. This is the exact type of episode that gives these UAVs such a bad reputation and the reason why we are all under such a microscope.

Sadly, you are definitely right about this. The public's impression and collective minds are made up though, so like you, I hope he decides to become a more responsible pilot himself. If not, then I would prefer to believe that the proper authorities will intervene and ultimately shut down his operation.

I will also stand alongside you to champion any efforts of positive reinforcement to sway those that feel they are the righteous and correct and that all drones and drone pilots are evil.

In essence, I feel you thought I was giving the guy a pass when all I was doing was saying I felt sorry for him and his situation. Sometimes stepping back to allow people to learn from their mistakes has more of a positive effect than being negative. Sometimes people don't learn no matter what, are idiots and simply deserve a kick in the butt instead. If you ask me for help though, I will give it if I can, unconditionally, then, wonder why you needed it later. Just my nature.

Rob

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph