DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me decide to keep or return

I just picked one up over the weekend to replace my Spark.. Camera seems crappy even compared to the Spark! Im not sure if its Lens flare or just the camera. ( see photo ) anyone else see this ?

That doesn't look like lens flare to me. Looks like a smudged lens--especially in that third photo. Judging by the shadows the sun is behind the drone at 7 or 8 o'clock, so I don't see how you could get lens flare with that geometry.

Reactions: harleymhs
That doesn't look like lens flare to me. Looks like a smudged lens--especially in that third photo. Judging by the shadows the sun is behind the drone at 7 or 8 o'clock, so I don't see how you could get lens flare with that geometry.
Agrees, that would be my first alternative also ... then flare.

I thought that as well! I wasnt facing the sun ! The lens is CLEAN and Clear of any smudges..

I thought that as well! I wasnt facing the sun ! The lens is CLEAN and Clear of any smudges..
If the lens were in fact clean ... my bet goes anyway to lens flare. The angle to the sun can depending on the lens design be quite large and yet create flare ... it can be sufficient that just some direct sun reaches the front lens to create this.

Usually the flare have different look depending on where the sun is ... directly in front the pic looks degraded contrast wise but without a distinct flare spot ... then if sun goes to approx 45 degree angle from front just outside pic & a purple flare spot is shown ... then when the angle becomes even larger it goes back to that degraded contrast spot that can be mistaken for a smudge.

Test it out with just the drone powered on, aim towards a lamp in different angles while filming & see how the flare change and what angles that are critical.

UPDATE: I returned the Mini yesterday and swapped it for another one.. Sent it up this AM for a quick test and photos were on point .. As good as the spark maybe a bit better!

Attachments

• DJI_0007.JPG
    DJI_0007.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 18
  • DJI_0012 (2).JPG
    DJI_0012 (2).JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: slup
To close the loop on my portion of this thread . . . I have had the Mavic 2 Zoom for two days now. A bit more complicated to update. But got 'er done. So I've now got my first five or so initial flights under my belt.

So far, so excellent. I was pleased to discover that the M2 wasn't as big and bulky as I feared. It is more substantial than the Mavic Mini I started with, for sure, but in a good way. My MM had excellent video/photo quality for my amateur purposes. Still, the M2Z is noticeably better.

I see the "lightness of being" that the MM offers as desirable. But in hindsight, I didn't have confidence in it to be stout. And my problems with the props getting nicked in flights suggested it wasn't. In contrast, the M2Z seems rock solid, and really not the least bit fragile. It is, though, slightly more cumbersome (weight, bulk). The MM was great on that score. Still, the M2Z is not bad. Not enough to be even a bit objectionable for me. I feel I can still with relative ease anywhere I would want to. And, to ice the cake of my satisfaction, I love the Smart Controller. No downside for it at all, except it is an android device that doesn't necessarily plan nice with MacOS. But so far, I've survived those issues. And for me, having the SC a huge plus that lands in the column for the M2.

I'm fortunate I could afford to "go big" and get the M2Z. The MM had a slight advantage in it's light weight and portability. But the edge is not that great. Beyond that, the M2Z has all the advantages in my book. Except for price, of course. The MM wins hands down on that. But just as several in this thread advised, if price isn't the stumbling block, the M2 looks to be the better long term investment -- for me and my uses, at least.

My two-cents worth for anyone surfing these threads and trying to decide which of the many dizzying options to go for.

Reactions: harleymhs
To close the loop on my portion of this thread . . . I have had the Mavic 2 Zoom for two days now. A bit more complicated to update. But got 'er done. So I've now got my first five or so initial flights under my belt.

So far, so excellent. I was pleased to discover that the M2 wasn't as big and bulky as I feared. It is more substantial than the Mavic Mini I started with, for sure, but in a good way. My MM had excellent video/photo quality for my amateur purposes. Still, the M2Z is noticeably better.

I see the "lightness of being" that the MM offers as desirable. But in hindsight, I didn't have confidence in it to be stout. And my problems with the props getting nicked in flights suggested it wasn't. In contrast, the M2Z seems rock solid, and really not the least bit fragile. It is, though, slightly more cumbersome (weight, bulk). The MM was great on that score. Still, the M2Z is not bad. Not enough to be even a bit objectionable for me. I feel I can still with relative ease anywhere I would want to. And, to ice the cake of my satisfaction, I love the Smart Controller. No downside for it at all, except it is an android device that doesn't necessarily plan nice with MacOS. But so far, I've survived those issues. And for me, having the SC a huge plus that lands in the column for the M2.

I'm fortunate I could afford to "go big" and get the M2Z. The MM had a slight advantage in it's light weight and portability. But the edge is not that great. Beyond that, the M2Z has all the advantages in my book. Except for price, of course. The MM wins hands down on that. But just as several in this thread advised, if price isn't the stumbling block, the M2 looks to be the better long term investment -- for me and my uses, at least.

My two-cents worth for anyone surfing these threads and trying to decide which of the many dizzying options to go for.

Well said! I own an Evo M2P and Spark... All amazing drones.. Trying the Mini out and not loving the photo quality .... But it is a nice small drone. Ill probably return it and wait for a MM2 if that ever appears! Good Luck with your M2Z ... Wow you got the controller too! I was on the fence with picking one up for my M2P , Big heavy and ANDROID ... UGH ... LOL Best of luck with your NEW Mavic Zoom ....

Looks like it was fogged from either being cold or warm and then exposing it to the outside. Just like your glasses fog up when going inside to outside.

Took this 6-image panorama yesterday. Camera seems fine to me. Mini held its place even in a brisk wind. You just have to fly it and see what it can do. I have had no problems and I got mine Oct 2019 when they first came out.

6 image pano ed.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki