DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help: reducing 360 pano file size for M1 mac

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
As I begin to fill up my google photo quota with 65+MB spherical panoramas I am looking for a way to export the originals in a smaller file size. If I make the file dimensions smaller and export from Photoshop the metadata is stripped. Prior to getting an M1 mac there was a program called Spatial Media Medatada Injector but it only works with Intel macs. Anyone know of a means by which I can save out a small version of a 360 pano and inject metadata to allow Google Photos and others to see the image as a 360 on an M1 Mac?

As I begin to fill up my google photo quota with 65+MB spherical panoramas I am looking for a way to export the originals in a smaller file size. If I make the file dimensions smaller and export from Photoshop the metadata is stripped. Prior to getting an M1 mac there was a program called Spatial Media Medatada Injector but it only works with Intel macs. Anyone know of a means by which I can save out a small version of a 360 pano and inject metadata to allow Google Photos and others to see the image as a 360 on an M1 Mac?
If you have that spatial media app already... I believe you can still run it on a M1 Mac by means of Open using Rosetta in the get info screen on the app.
At least on mine, DJI Assistant 2, all of the Nik tools, Aurora HDR, and some Adobe function still depend on Intel. M1 uses Rosetta as a Apple Silicon emulator

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have that spatial media app already... I believe you can still run it on a M1 Mac by means of Open using Rosetta in the get info screen on the app.
At least on mine, DJI Assistant 2, all of the Nik tools, Aurora HDR, and some Adobe function still depend on Intel. M1 uses Rosetta as a Apple Silicon emulator
Unfortunately I see no such option. DJI Assistant 2 and Aurora HDR work as do other Rosetta apps. The download page for the injector app specifies Intel but I don't see any options in the get info tab to allow Rosetta and it doesn't seem to open when double clicked. Oh well. thanks for the thought. I don't see any "open in Rosetta" in any get info screens.

Unfortunately I see no such option. DJI Assistant 2 and Aurora HDR work as do other Rosetta apps. The download page for the injector app specifies Intel but I don't see any options in the get info tab to allow Rosetta and it doesn't seem to open when double clicked. Oh well. thanks for the thought. I don't see any "open in Rosetta" in any get info screens.
Have you tried using Apple's Preview to reduce the size? I have done this before and I do believe it saves the exif data. Here is how.

Also did a little more digging...
I don't know how comfortable you are using command lines, but here is a website to look at.

and here

Last edited by a moderator:
I never store images on my iMAC or my MacBookPro
I travel frequently and double back up daily shooting to portable solid state drives (two drives). Both drives are Samsung 2TB. They are expensive compared to disc drives I used to buy at Costco but I lost data on one of them on an African safari and was lucky to recover by sending them to manufacture
After that I said goodbye To disc drives
I pay Apple for 250GB cloud storage for my 14 Pro Max monthly
$2.99
Dale

Have you tried using Apple's Preview to reduce the size? I have done this before and I do believe it saves the exif data. Here is how.

Also did a little more digging...
I don't know how comfortable you are using command lines, but here is a website to look at.

and here

thanks! Preview works wonderfully.

I never store images on my iMAC or my MacBookPro
I travel frequently and double back up daily shooting to portable solid state drives (two drives). Both drives are Samsung 2TB. They are expensive compared to disc drives I used to buy at Costco but I lost data on one of them on an African safari and was lucky to recover by sending them to manufacture
After that I said goodbye To disc drives
I pay Apple for 250GB cloud storage for my 14 Pro Max monthly
$2.99
Dale
Thanks Dale. My issue is the online google photos where I put 360's to share and now I know Preview doesn't strip the metadata so from now on I'll use that. I have 24TB connected to my Mac Studio with another 24TB as backup and a 1TB super fast NVME for any FCP work that I'm doing at the moment (with a backup for that). The hard drives are slow but the amount of data I have precludes using SSD's for all of it and I only really need a real fast drive for my FCP work. Even my huge Lightroom catalogs move pretty quickly on my Studio Max with 64GB of ram. I typically take a computer or ipad with me when I travel and backup everything to that while leaving all my Micro SD cards with the originals on them (I don't delete them after copying them to my computer). I can shoot for a week and end up with 500GB but it will all be on my cards as well as computer. I'm pretty paranoid :).

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1