DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Requesting FAA Clearance

I should say @sar104 told us with documentation to back it up and that’s when I figured it out.

Although I should add that I'm still slightly confused because the nearby airport doesn't own the surface Class B airspace. But since the FAA has taken down the web page that made Class B a special case for recreational flight, actually requiring permission, maybe it's not worth worrying about. @BigAl07?

Reactions: BigAl07
Although I should add that I'm still slightly confused because the nearby airport doesn't own the surface Class B airspace. But since the FAA has taken down the web page that made Class B a special case for recreational flight, actually requiring permission, maybe it's not worth worrying about. @BigAl07?

That's a tough one... I was surprised when I went to find the actual phrase several months back and it was gone. But at the same time it's hard to require someone to follow something without testing them on knowing how to know if they are in "that" airspace or not. I dare say that less than 10% of pure hobbyist operators know (or care) what airspace they are operating in. And less than that % know how to look it up on a sectional chart. It's just not intuitive at all.

With that being said.... there is absolutely no way I would fly a sUAS in class BRAVO airspace without ATC notification. That's BRAVO airspace because it's the Busiest in the world.

Disclaimer: I operate with an abundance of caution when doing "Aviation" so how we operate may not align directly with how others do.

Reactions: sar104
That's a tough one... I was surprised when I went to find the actual phrase several months back and it was gone. But at the same time it's hard to require someone to follow something without testing them on knowing how to know if they are in "that" airspace or not. I dare say that less than 10% of pure hobbyist operators know (or care) what airspace they are operating in. And less than that % know how to look it up on a sectional chart. It's just not intuitive at all.

With that being said.... there is absolutely no way I would fly a sUAS in class BRAVO airspace without ATC notification. That's BRAVO airspace because it's the Busiest in the world.

Disclaimer: I operate with an abundance of caution when doing "Aviation" so how we operate may not align directly with how others do.

Agreed. I think part of the problem with the recreational Class B requirement was that it had no basis in Public Law, wasn't mentioned in Section 336, and arguably breached the prohibition on further regulating hobby flight. It will be moot soon, of course.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Omni_Aerial