DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Restricted Air Space can't fly

radiowaves

Reactions
I am new to this forum but have had DJI drones for years. This Restricted Air Space no fly zone along with software lockout is new to me. I understand being notified via the internal map of information about being near a no fly zone but disabling my ability to take off via software is over the top.
I returned to my home in Florida last fall, no problem but recently along with a software update I am told I am in a "NFZ" and can't take off. Don't get it! There are no planes or anything flying overhead. Just seems like complete over reach after all , I purchased a new Mavic pro 2 last fall and all of a sudden can't use it.
Is there a way to back up to a previous version of the software?
Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Lighthouse Point Florida

If your near Palm Beach, the prez is in town for Easter and they issue a TFR (temporary flight restriction). Not sure if you can unlock it.

If your near Palm Beach, the prez is in town for Easter and they issue a TFR (temporary flight restriction). Not sure if you can unlock it.
Thanks I am not close to Palm Beach around 50 miles south Small private airport a few miles away Pompano Beach air park

I am also in an NFZ here in Georgia with two overlapping zones but I was able to fly by doing an unlock with my cell phone number and agreeing to the required risks. Now I can fly up to the 400 foot limit without any problems. You might want to try that on yours...

Try this link. Fly Safe – Drone Flying Tips, Policies & Regulations, and More – DJI.
Thanks
I am not sure how to unlock with cell phone number, could you give me a little more information? I am a few miles away from a private airport Pompano Beach air park. Planes don't fly very low over here I wouldn't mind a several hundred foot restriction
I submitted to DJI and received a "three day" unlock but that isn't much help lol

Thanks
I am not sure how to unlock with cell phone number, could you give me a little more information? I am a few miles away from a private airport Pompano Beach air park. Planes don't fly very low over here I wouldn't mind a several hundred foot restriction
I submitted to DJI and received a "three day" unlock but that isn't much help lol
Pompano Beach Airpark is Class D airspace. Also depending where your house is, you may also be in overlapping Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Class D airspace. Therefore you should not be flying there at all under recreation rules (unless notifying the tower) or should only fly there after obtaining clearance under Part 107.
The 3-day clearance from DJI is the proper procedure but again ONLY IF you also have the proper notification/clearance to fly there per FAA regulations. It doesn't matter if there are planes overhead. What matters is the classification of airspace that is above you.

Just follow the steps in the link I sent you earlier and it will ask you if you want to use your cell phone to receive an unlock code, say "yes" and the code will be sent right away. You can then unlock your app and plane then sync them and you should be done.

Here is a DJI Support video that walks you through the self-unlocking procedure.

Reactions: brett8883
I am new to this forum but have had DJI drones for years. This Restricted Air Space no fly zone along with software lockout is new to me. I understand being notified via the internal map of information about being near a no fly zone but disabling my ability to take off via software is over the top.
I returned to my home in Florida last fall, no problem but recently along with a software update I am told I am in a "NFZ" and can't take off. Don't get it! There are no planes or anything flying overhead. Just seems like complete over reach after all , I purchased a new Mavic pro 2 last fall and all of a sudden can't use it.
Is there a way to back up to a previous version of the software?
Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Lighthouse Point Florida
Have you tried AirMap... it has not failed me. Also note that DJI is not on the list for apps granting permission to fly (LAANC clearance) in the April 2019 list from FAA.

Pompano Beach Airpark is Class D airspace. Also depending where your house is, you may also be in overlapping Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport Class D airspace. Therefore you should not be flying there at all under recreation rules (unless notifying the tower) or should only fly there after obtaining clearance under Part 107.
The 3-day clearance from DJI is the proper procedure but again ONLY IF you also have the proper notification/clearance to fly there per FAA regulations. It doesn't matter if there are planes overhead. What matters is the classification of airspace that is above you.
This ☝. This guy gets it. “ONLY IF you ALSO have the proper notification/clearance to fly there.” I think this is the part people forget/misunderstand.

Reactions: charliesRig
While this thread is on the topic of airspace fly zones can someone tell me why my DJI app shows I'm in an NFZ with 2 overlapping zones and Airmap shows I'm not in any zones? See attached screenshots...

3C16A446-8455-41A2-A960-3F4E548BEE0F.jpeg06916DC9-4532-4232-9D09-D20806034556.jpeg

DJI is still not an FAA LAANC clearance provider as of April 4, 2019. Reference the chart posted on the FAA website.

So then I should fly using Airmap since they are approved? If I use Airmap will my FC still say I'm in a NFZ?

So then I should fly using Airmap since they are approved? If I use Airmap will my FC still say I'm in a NFZ?
You don’t need it for control, etc as it is not a flight controller. However, it may recommend altitudes lower than 400’, as these decline within indicated NFZs as the center is approached. I fly with my CS. I get clearance via AirMap. This clearance is almost instantaneous and AirMap app runs a timer for the amount of time clearance is requested, so allow time for all the batteries and prep time you need. If you don’t like AirMap, use one of the other FAA approved apps listed on the page referenced in my previous post

DJI is still not an FAA LAANC clearance provider as of April 4, 2019. Reference the chart posted on the FAA website.

Thomas remember when we talked about how you need two things to fly in a restricted airspace and it was always two steps? Getting local approval (either LANNC or notifying the airport) AND getting DJI to unlock the zone so the aircraft is physically able to take off in that area?

Well this is an example that local approval is not needed(assuming it is more than 5 miles from that airport) because it’s not restricted airspace but does need to be unlocked by DJI because DJI does have what they call “enhanced warning zones” meaning that they have determined that even though it is legal to fly there without local approval they still want to advise the pilot that they are in a sensitive area and in an abundance of caution restrict the aircraft from taking off inside of one of these “enhanced warning zones.” So the pilot must unlock the Drone through DJI’s self-unlock feature which @MavicMikeK has gone over a few times.

You must be flying in a altitude restriction zone which is a lower level where DJI is not restricting take off without a self-unlock but is restricting the altitude without a self-unlock.

AirMap doesn’t have the ability to unlock the drone or restrict the altitude at which you can fly. You must have just misinterpreted this to mean since you received LAANC approval through AirMap that this was also what was allowing you to fly even though it was just the nature of the geo-zone that you were flying in and you probably didn’t need LAANC approval at all to fly at that altitude.

Recreational pilots flying under 101E don’t have location specific altitude restrictions. They can either fly there, can’t fly there or need to notify the airport to fly there. 107 pilots can fly in certain airspace’s that have altitude restrictions without the need for LAANC approvals.

BTW are you a 107 pilot?

In @MavicMikeK s example he appears to be in the DJI enhanced warning zone of one airport and in the DJI altitude restricted geozone of another airport but is outside of any controlled airspace and is more than 5 miles from either airport. So these are both DJI mandated geo zones neither of which require LAANC and so AirMap doesn’t even provide LAANC as an option.

There are certain types of airspace that are not controlled until you get to a certain altitude and then become controlled. That must be why you were able to get LAANC from AirMap but didn’t need to unlock with DJI to take off but I’m not really sure.

Thomas remember when we talked about how you need two things to fly in a restricted zone and it was always two steps? Getting local approval (either LANNC or notifying the airport) AND getting DJI to unlock the zone so the aircraft is physically able to take off in that area?

Well this is an example that local approval is not needed(assuming it is more than 5 miles from that airport) but does need to be unlocked by DJI because DJI does have what they call “enhanced warning zones” meaning that they have determined that even though it is legal to fly there without local approval they still want to advise the pilot that they are in a sensitive area and in an abundance of caution restrict the aircraft from taking off inside of one of these “enhanced warning zones.” So the pilot must unlock the Drone through DJI’s self-unlock feature which @MavicMikeK has gone over a few times.

You must be flying in a altitude restriction zone which is a lower level where DJI is not restricting take off without a self-unlock but is restricting the altitude without a self-unlock.

AirMap doesn’t have the ability to unlock the drone or restrict the altitude at which you can fly. You must have just misinterpreted this to mean since you received LAANC approval through AirMap that this was also what was allowing you to fly even though it was just the nature of the geo-zone that you were flying in and you probably didn’t need LAANC approval at all to fly at that altitude.

Recreational pilots flying under 101E don’t have location specific altitude restrictions. They can either fly there, can’t fly there or need to notify the airport to fly there. 107 pilots can fly in certain airspace’s that have altitude restrictions without the need for LAANC approvals.

BTW are you a 107 pilot?

In @MavicMikeK s example he appears to be in the DJI enhanced warning zone of one airport and in the DJI altitude restricted geozone of another airport but is outside of any controlled airspace and is more than 5 miles from either airport. So these are both DJI mandated geo zones neither of which require LAANC and so AirMap doesn’t even provide LAANC as an option.

There are certain types of airspace that are not controlled until you get to a certain altitude and then become controlled. That must be why you were able to get LAANC from AirMap but didn’t need to unlock with DJI to take off but I’m not really sure.
Understand. Read your post, sorry to make you type so much. Yes I do remember. My point is simply that FAA does not recognize DJI as a clearance provider and that using AirMap has never led to other than clearance, albeit with height restrictions as the center of NFZs are approached (which I don’t).

Reactions: brett8883
No I am not 107 certified, all my flights are hobbyists below 400 ft and VLOS.

While this thread is on the topic of airspace fly zones can someone tell me why my DJI app shows I'm in an NFZ with 2 overlapping zones and Airmap shows I'm not in any zones? See attached screenshots...
Because DJI has invented extra zones around airports, quoting from DJI, "where flight may be limited due to safety concerns or regulations," creating multiple overlapping zones of its own creation (confusing to many). Airmap on the other hand, shows zones based just on the FAA regulations, with explanation of what to do in the app (much cleaner and simpler). DJI's explanaton of what it's doing is here DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography Read both the "GEO Zones for Airports" and the "GEO Zone FAQ" tabs. There is more explanation about the different zones DJI has created below its map here (scroll down below the map): DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography It has nothing to do LAANC.

@radiowaves this is exactly what you have to do and there’s no way to downgrade your firmware and it’s actually doesn’t have anything to do with that the Geozones are updated in the app and separate from the app itself.

Just follow the steps in the link I sent you earlier and it will ask you if you want to use your cell phone to receive an unlock code, say "yes" and the code will be sent right away. You can then unlock your app and plane then sync them and you should be done.

Here is a DJI Support video that walks you through the self-unlocking procedure.

Thanks

That's an authorization zone on the extended centerline of Pompano Beach runway 06. That requires an unlock code. Why is that not much help?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtlesn