DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help Restricted Air Space can't fly

@radiowaves this is exactly what you have to do and there’s no way to downgrade your firmware and it’s actually doesn’t have anything to do with that the Geozones are updated in the app and separate from the app itself.

Thanks brett8883, makes sense now.

Thanks
I am not sure how to unlock with cell phone number, could you give me a little more information? I am a few miles away from a private airport Pompano Beach air park. Planes don't fly very low over here I wouldn't mind a several hundred foot restriction
I submitted to DJI and received a "three day" unlock but that isn't much help lol

That's all your going to get per code and you'll have to get a new unlock code after that one expires. Plan your flights accordingly. Have you tried using Airmap instead? Mine shows I'm out of all zones in Airmap.

Just follow the steps in the link I sent you earlier and it will ask you if you want to use your cell phone to receive an unlock code, say "yes" and the code will be sent right away. You can then unlock your app and plane then sync them and you should be done.

Here is a DJI Support video that walks you through the self-unlocking procedure.

Thank you very much for your help
Fred

Reactions: MavicMikeK
I am new to this forum but have had DJI drones for years. This Restricted Air Space no fly zone along with software lockout is new to me. I understand being notified via the internal map of information about being near a no fly zone but disabling my ability to take off via software is over the top.
I returned to my home in Florida last fall, no problem but recently along with a software update I am told I am in a "NFZ" and can't take off. Don't get it! There are no planes or anything flying overhead. Just seems like complete over reach after all , I purchased a new Mavic pro 2 last fall and all of a sudden can't use it.
Is there a way to back up to a previous version of the software?
Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Lighthouse Point Florida
Had the same problem out here in Los Angeles when Trump was in town

Had the same problem out here in Los Angeles when Trump was in town

That's a TFR and a whole other ball of wax. You won't get an UNLOCK for a Presidential TFR. To get approval to fly in a TFR you have to get permission from the agency requesting the TFR which isn't going to happen in that case. Totally different set of circumstances from the OP.

That's a TFR and a whole other ball of wax. You won't get an UNLOCK for a Presidential TFR. To get approval to fly in a TFR you have to get permission from the agency requesting the TFR which isn't going to happen in that case. Totally different set of circumstances from the OP.

Legally yes - but it turns out that the DJI GEO system regards TFRs (at least ones that I've seen) as self-unlock restricted zones.

If your near Palm Beach, the prez is in town for Easter and they issue a TFR (temporary flight restriction). Not sure if you can unlock it.
You do not want to mess with TFR.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Have you tried AirMap... it has not failed me. Also note that DJI is not on the list for apps granting permission to fly (LAANC clearance) in the April 2019 list from FAA.
KittyHawk is now the LAANC vendor of choice for DJI. AirMap does have similar LAANC capabilities, but lost it seat as DJI’s “partner” of choice. That means KittyHawk will have the inside connection as DJI flight software evolves.

KittyHawk is now the LAANC vendor of choice for DJI. AirMap does have similar LAANC capabilities, but lost it seat as DJI’s “partner” of choice. That means KittyHawk will have the inside connection as DJI flight software evolves.
Of note is that Kittyhawk is currently rewriting and/or combining with the FAA’s B4YouFly app at request/commission of FAA. My understanding is that this may be the standard in future. All of it seems to be pending implantation of the newest set of FAA rules for drones.

This whole DJI "NFZ" enforcement just doesn't sound right to me Maybe I can't find it but I can't find where DJI is listed by the FAA or any other American agency as an enforcement body. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find it.
I went around half a mile from my location and the "NFZ" warning went away but the map in the DJI Map was pretty useless due to the various overlays, just can't see the details. Does anyone know if there any way to cleanup the map?

This whole DJI "NFZ" enforcement just doesn't sound right to me Maybe I can't find it but I can't find where DJI is listed by the FAA or any other American agency as an enforcement body. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find it.
I went around half a mile from my location and the "NFZ" warning went away but the map in the DJI Map was pretty useless due to the various overlays, just can't see the details. Does anyone know if there any way to cleanup the map?

You know perfectly well that DJI is not a regulatory body. They are, however, free to program their firmware in any way that they see fit to protect their business. Just as you are free to buy something else instead if you don't like the product.

I would encourage people to learn how to read and understand FAA charts ( sectionals in the US), from reading on here a great many users are missing/getting confused by the 3 dimensional nature of airspace and the meaning of different airspace classifications

It's not difficult and is of course something every Licensed Pilot is required to do, I believe if you want to operate in the same sky you should take the time to understand your responsibilities

Reactions: BigAl07
I am new to this forum but have had DJI drones for years. This Restricted Air Space no fly zone along with software lockout is new to me. I understand being notified via the internal map of information about being near a no fly zone but disabling my ability to take off via software is over the top.
I returned to my home in Florida last fall, no problem but recently along with a software update I am told I am in a "NFZ" and can't take off. Don't get it! There are no planes or anything flying overhead. Just seems like complete over reach after all , I purchased a new Mavic pro 2 last fall and all of a sudden can't use it.
Is there a way to back up to a previous version of the software?
Any help would be appreciated.

Fred Lighthouse Point Florida
I had a similar experience where I live. I was recommended to try The Litchi App. Although it did show an NFZ, It took off, flew and RTH with no problems or further restrictions.
I now use Litchi as opposed to the DJI Go App and am much happier. Especially with being able to pre-plan missions etc.
Good luck!

There is a web page from the FAA that has that shows Special Security Instructions (FAA SSI). It has grids that will tell the height restrictions. If you are flying in a "grid" that has a height greater than zero then you can fly in Class D airspace (not sure about other airspaces) in the area WITHOUT contacting a tower or airport that may be closer than 5 miles. I live in within 5 miles of MccHord Air Force base in Lakewood WA. I called the tower and had a very pleasant talk with the Supervising ATC person and informed it is ok to fly in Class D in my area based on the SSI's for my area. I just have to make sure I don't fly in a 0 altitude area.Here is an example based on the image just before this one.

Since this is directly from the FAA I place a lot of trust in it. It won't show TFR's and I have only found a web page for this (no cell phone app?). The app is called "Visualize It"and can be found at Home | Federal Aviation Administration - Unmanned Aircraft System .

It is a great tool to use in flight preparation. Sooo... if you a in one of these grids that have an altitude restriction that is not zero and you still get a NFZ on the drone, than DJI has this mapped incorrectly and you should ask for a correction.

There is a web page from the FAA that has that shows Special Security Instructions (FAA SSI). It has grids that will tell the height restrictions. If you are flying in a "grid" that has a height greater than zero then you can fly in Class D airspace (not sure about other airspaces) in the area WITHOUT contacting a tower or airport that may be closer than 5 miles. I live in within 5 miles of MccHord Air Force base in Lakewood WA. I called the tower and had a very pleasant talk with the Supervising ATC person and informed it is ok to fly in Class D in my area based on the SSI's for my area. I just have to make sure I don't fly in a 0 altitude area.Here is an example based on the image just before this one.
Sooo... if you a in one of these grids that have an altitude restriction that is not zero and you still get a NFZ on the drone, than DJI has this mapped incorrectly and you should ask for a correction.
Your information about this map is incorrect. The permission you got for flying is specific to your request and for that airport, not generic for everyone at every airport. Some airports, civilian and military, give flyers an open OK to fly (after asking) and use the grids for guidance for operators. But many do not.

The map you're showing is a the FAA UAS Facility Map and it shows the altitude grids around both civilian and military airports and are intended for Part 107 operations. They also show Special Security Installations, the areas red shaded on the maps. Not all SSI have grids, because they're not airports. They all have do not fly instructions around them, though, which are contained in NOTAMs. Red grid lines indicate an airport that is not included in LAANC. Green grid lines are used at airports that are in LAANC. It is only a website and not an application. However, all the data are freely available to download. Search | Federal Aviation Administration - Unmanned Aircraft System

From the FAQs about the maps Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Facility Maps – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1. What are UAS Facility Maps (UASFMs)? What data do they contain?
UASFMs are job aids used by FAA Part 107 processors to help them process airspace authorization requests. They depict the maximum altitude that may be assigned by a FAA processor without additional internal FAA coordination. UAS operators may use these altitudes as a guideline when submitting their UAS Airspace Authorization requests through the FAA DroneZone.

10. Does the 5-mile notification requirement still apply for recreational UAS operators who want to fly near airports?
Yes. Hobbyists and recreational operators are still required to notify airport operators and the air traffic control facility (if present) prior to operating within 5 miles of an airport.

And from another FAA website. UAS Facility Maps

UAS Facility Maps show the maximum altitudes around airports where the FAA may authorize part 107 UAS operations without additional safety analysis. The maps should be used to inform requests for part 107 airspace authorizations and waivers in controlled airspace.
NOTE: These maps DO NOT authorize operations in these areas at the depicted altitudes – they are for informational purposes ONLY. Operators must still apply to operate in controlled airspace (Class B, C, D, or surface area E) by completing a Part 107 Airspace Authorization or Waiver Application in the FAA DroneZone.

And the flow chart of how to use the Facility Maps states this: A facility map does not give you permission to fly a drone within controlled airspace. UAS Facility Map Decision Flow Chart

Thanks for the clarification. I don't want to be spreading false information and I apologize if have. I certainly respect the previous post. I really was just trying to help.

That said, I am not trying to start a debate on this but this is the based on a conversation I had with the supervising controller from McChord AFB. I explicitly told the controller that I was flying as a hobbyist, not part 107. What he told me is that the I should use the information in Visualize It as a guide for HIS area for where I can fly and I don't need to contact the tower in the future. I know this seems backwards, but Part 107 flights "seem" to have more restrictions than flight as a hobbyist in certain situations?

On Monday I plan on contacting McChord AFB again to ensure I heard him right. I don't get why he stated that is could fly in the future without contacting the tower when flying as a hobbyist. I CERTAINLY do NOT want to be breaking the law.

BTW: My first contact was not with the supervising controller, it was a controller that did not know about SSI airspace. When the supervisor came on line I could hear him training the first controller on how to use Visualize It for handling requests like mine.

Reactions: BigAl07
Same changes here in NZ, seems the extended centreline from a grass runway at Tauranga airport used by light aircraft runs over my property and the 60m and 150m transition is about central over my land. Wasn’t a NFZ a few weeks ago but the “bow tie” NFZ patterns now imposed make it so.
One question I have, are the height restrictions heights above local ground level or, from my light aircraft flying days, based on QFE and QNH settings ? My property sits around 50m above sea level with TGA airport around 10m above sea level. The restricted height, which I am happy to recognise and obey, physically seems to be 60m and 150m respectively above my land. Your thoughts and knowledge are welcomed to be sure I have a full understanding for safe flying of my drone and the other much larger aircraft relying on the NFZs.

I'm with radiowaves here..... I don't mind being informed about the zone warnings, but trying to look at the screen with all those overlays is a real PITA.... Is there any way to clean all this up on the screen???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fuckyoupaymenowww