DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP!! - Rolling Bands/ Flicker - Recording STOP

Dan_Orrells

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Problem? We have a Mavic Pro and it has started to behave strangely. When flying there is some kind of banding or flickering lines across the image. This happens a few times and then the recording will stop the gimbal freaks out and spins around, it eventually comes back level to centre and the app has switched to photo mode.

Was unit in a crash? NO

What have you tried so far?. DJI have advised clearing all camera settings. Connect to Assistant 2 update if needed and then refresh. During flight, you have to land. Switch on and off, this, however, doesn't always solve. Very frustrating a makes it unusable on jobs.

What device are you using - Iphone 7 Latest for DJI Go 4

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest firmware from Assitant 2 app

What Go app version are you using? Latest IOS

Any modification?
(if so what) NO

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) -
This is only a short clip before recording cut out (11 secs) You can clearly see the issue towards the end.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this

Cheers

Hi everyone,

Problem? We have a Mavic Pro and it has started to behave strangely. When flying there is some kind of banding or flickering lines across the image. This happens a few times and then the recording will stop the gimbal freaks out and spins around, it eventually comes back level to centre and the app has switched to photo mode.

Was unit in a crash? NO

What have you tried so far?. DJI have advised clearing all camera settings. Connect to Assistant 2 update if needed and then refresh. During flight, you have to land. Switch on and off, this, however, doesn't always solve. Very frustrating a makes it unusable on jobs.

What device are you using - Iphone 7 Latest for DJI Go 4

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest firmware from Assitant 2 app

What Go app version are you using? Latest IOS

Any modification?
(if so what) NO

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) -
This is only a short clip before recording cut out (11 secs) You can clearly see the issue towards the end.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed any light on this

Cheers

I have been following this issue and while I don’t why it causes the the issue specifically I know it’s because of your memory card.

You are either using a memory card that isnt up to par or you are using the Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB.

Before you say you’ve been using this card for awhile without any issues, that’s always the story with this problem. It doesn’t start immediately and doesn’t always happen. Still need more data but I’m begining to see a pattern that has something to do with formatting the card in DJI Go 4 that triggers the start of this issue.

If you could please give as many details as possible about the card you are using

1) Type of card and capacity

2) how long ago you started using this card and when you started noticing this issue

3)to the best of your ability if you formatted your card with DJI GO 4 or with your computer at any point.

4) Do you transfer the videos to your computer via usb with the drone or do you take out the card and use a card reader?

Sorry for all the questions but I can use this data to better understand why this issue happens so I can better help other people in the future. The information that you need to get a new SD card to solve the problem was obtained by collecting this exact data from many others experperiencing this problem before you.

I have been following this issue and while I don’t why it causes the the issue specifically I know it’s because of your memory card.

You are either using a memory card that isnt up to par or you are using the Sandisk Extreme Plus 64GB.

Before you say you’ve been using this card for awhile without any issues, that’s always the story with this problem. It doesn’t start immediately and doesn’t always happen. Still need more data but I’m begining to see a pattern that has something to do with formatting the card in DJI Go 4 that triggers the start of this issue.

If you could please give as many details as possible about the card you are using

1) Type of card and capacity

2) how long ago you started using this card and when you started noticing this issue

3)to the best of your ability if you formatted your card with DJI GO 4 or with your computer at any point.

4) Do you transfer the videos to your computer via usb with the drone or do you take out the card and use a card reader?

Sorry for all the questions but I can use this data to better understand why this issue happens so I can better help other people in the future. The information that you need to get a new SD card to solve the problem was obtained by collecting this exact data from many others experiencing this problem before you.

Thanks for getting back to us.

This is very interesting, yes when the issue occurred we were using Scan Disk 64gb Ultra. Is this the same as the Plus?

We have been using the card a while, cannot remember exactly but for a good few months before the issue occurred.

Always have formatted within the DJI GO App

Always take SD card out and using micro SD adaptor into MAC

Cheers

Really? I did consider this, never has any issues in the two years using it though
It's something that will happen from time to time. When the sun and the drone are in a certain direction, it's hard to avoid and also hard to notice on the mobile device screen, usually much more noticeable on playback. I wouldn't worry much about it being a hardware or software problem. As far as the recording stopping, I would guess that it's the SD card issue, or at least that is the first thing to eliminate as the issue. Lastly, this is just a pet peeve of mine, but I'll say this before someone jumps in about prop shadows: No, ND filters will not eliminate prop shadows, so please don't take that as advise to eliminate the issue.

Really? I did consider this, never has any issues in the two years using it though

That’s clearly a technical issue with the video and not a shadow to me. This conclusion is backed up by that fact that you are using an insufficient memory card for the Mavic Pro which I what I originally suspected was the issue.

The Mavic Pro requires a memory card that with a minimum write speed of 30 mbps or higher. This is symbolized on the card with a “U3” indicator or “V30.” Both of these symbols mean the same thing, either will work many cards have both.

The Sandisk Ultra 64 GB has only a 10mbps minimum write speed which has the symbol “U1” or “V10.”

Not having a high enough minimum write speed will cause the issue of the buffer between the drone and the card to fill up because the card won’t relieve the buffer quick enough causing a traffic jam of data. When this happens there’s no choice but for the buffer to discard some information from the new frames. So you when you jib the drone upward (which is a high bitrate maneuver) you are getting the rolling bands.

I recommend the Sandisk Extreme 64 GB or the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB. The Sankdisk Extreme Plus is a good card but there’s a problem with the 64 GB version of the Sandisk Extreme Plus so stay away from that one. I use the Sandisk Extreme Plus 32 GB with no issues.

That’s clearly a technical issue with the video and not a shadow to me. This conclusion is backed up by that fact that you are using an insufficient memory card for the Mavic Pro which I what I originally suspected was the issue.

The Mavic Pro requires a memory card that with a minimum write speed of 30 mbps or higher. This is symbolized on the card with a “U3” indicator or “V30.” Both of these symbols mean the same thing, either will work many cards have both.

The Sandisk Ultra 64 GB has only a 10mbps minimum write speed which has the symbol “U1” or “V10.”

Not having a high enough minimum write speed will cause the issue of the buffer between the drone and the card to fill up because the card won’t relieve the buffer quick enough causing a traffic jam of data. When this happens there’s no choice but for the buffer to discard some information from the new frames. So you when you jib the drone upward (which is a high bitrate maneuver) you are getting the rolling bands.

I recommend the Sandisk Extreme 64 GB or the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB. The Sankdisk Extreme Plus is a good card but there’s a problem with the 64 GB version of the Sandisk Extreme Plus so stay away from that one. I use the Sandisk Extreme Plus 32 GB with no issues.
Look at the video again and then look at the shadows on the ground. This would indicate the location of the sun, then think about where the sun, props and camera are in relation to each other. With this info, it clearly becomes prop shadows as the most likely explanation to the issue. If it was a frame rate issue, it would appear across the entire video frame. Way to much of a coincidence that the frame rate issue occurs in the exact same direction the sun is shining from. I do agree with your explanation of why the correct SD card is needed, but that is not explaining the "lines" in the video.

Reactions: brett8883
Well maybe but that doesn’t explain the gimbal freak out mid flight.
I agree. The OP was having 2 separate issues that where unrelated. The SD card can explain the recording stopping and gimbal errors, but it did not explain what I believe to be prop shadows. I was only commenting in the question of the video lines, and pointing out that there is actually 2 separate issues that are not related to each other, not 1 issue causing all the problems.

Reactions: brett8883
I agree. The OP was having 2 separate issues that where unrelated. The SD card can explain the recording stopping and gimbal errors, but it did not explain what I believe to be prop shadows. I was only commenting in the question of the video lines, and pointing out that there is actually 2 separate issues that are not related to each other, not 1 issue causing all the problems.
Good call!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs