DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help to access video on badly damaged Mavic Air

Blaksony

Reactions
Hello all ,
I’m blaksony and this pass May I brought a Mavic Air (MA) after I joined this forum late in January . Anyways I’ve enjoyed and learned a lot from looking at the many postings but never had to submit a Help post myself until today,
I’m getting really good at piloting the MA and I decided to get some practice doing high flying and side wards filming , I had the quad up 90m to avoid any power lines and tree tops and had smooth goings until something caused the craft to stop flying on the path I thought I was flying, I got a image loss and transmission failure on the warnings bar then the screen on my iPad blinked back on and I was flying backwards then it started to spin. I applied full throttle up but got and IMU warning then... BAM. All this occurred just a block and a half from my MA’s home point so I ran to my house near by to grab my iPhone, I jogged to the point of loss contact and there it was... it apparently landed gimbal first. I powered the quad off and rushed home to see if I could get the footage off the bird before I send it in to DJI Care BUT when I tried to power it up the diagnostic routine that it performs could not be completed because the gimbal mount in the body is completely broken. My question is... how can I obtain access to the internal storage. The bird goes into hibernation tomorrow so I need some information ASAP, anyone? Thanks

Attachments

• 2CAB893C-4341-4E8C-B0D8-5B6758D29B47.jpeg
    2CAB893C-4341-4E8C-B0D8-5B6758D29B47.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • 6FBD435E-7F37-4F9E-BAEC-5AF41C1D6225.jpeg
    6FBD435E-7F37-4F9E-BAEC-5AF41C1D6225.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
A broken gimbal should not prevent from accessing the internal storage, so there's probably more damage to the mainboard itself.

Hey, thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated, anyways I think you are correct, I hear a loud hum from inside near the back of the gimbal as tho the fan is jammed

Yup, over 50m drop, broke the landing gear, gimbal and three props, still have to figure out what brought it down however the dam quad powered on, that’s amazing to me

Did you not have an SD card in it? Noticed you mentioned internal storage so I am guessing you didn't.

Did you not have an SD card in it? Noticed you mentioned internal storage so I am guessing you didn't.

Hey, Pilot25dmc, thanks for the reply, yeah I had a 32gb card in there at the time of the crash but it was full and I switched over to the internal storage right before the crash, I contacted DJI and the only thing they could do for me is a replacement. I just wish I could had dl the crash footage to see what brought the Air down

I can only guess it was a birdstrike that brought it down. Birds sometimes tend to attack drones out of nowhere. If one smashed into a propeller or caused an arm to fold I reckon that could bring the quad down.
Stupid question, but have you tried turning it on with another battery? If the one you crashed with is damaged, it may not work anymore.

Hi all, after 3 weeks use mavic air, I have a problem, at the moment I record video, screen in my phone lag. Before that it's ok, need help

Hi all, after 3 weeks use mavic air, I have a problem, at the moment I record video, screen in my phone lag. Before that it's ok, need help
Please open a new topic about your issue to keep the discussion here related to OP's specific problem. It'll also make it easier for others to help you out.

Reactions: Prismatic
tried popping the plastic cover off the top to see if you can see what's jamming up the fan, it might not POST if the fan is blocked from spinning. If it's something (stick or slight bend in the alloy frame around the fan) then you might be able to free it and at least get it powered on.

I know it's in German, but

About 6 mins in shows how to pop the top

Hey, Pilot25dmc, thanks for the reply, yeah I had a 32gb card in there at the time of the crash but it was full and I switched over to the internal storage right before the crash, I contacted DJI and the only thing they could do for me is a replacement. I just wish I could had dl the crash footage to see what brought the Air down
If you haven't disabled the video cache recording on your mobile device then you have a low resolution copy of the footage on there.

If you haven't disabled the video cache recording on your mobile device then you have a low resolution copy of the footage on there.

Except for the important bit where it blanked out, but you may be able to see what caused it if the footage came back just after the 'impact' and the camera was pointing in the right direction for it to catch whatever it was.

If your flying sideways odds are even if you get the onboard footage you wont see the cause unless your lucky anyhow.

Logs show anything? they should at least show what caused the issue, IMU/Motor failure etc

Except for the important bit where it blanked out, but you may be able to see what caused it if the footage came back just after the 'impact' and the camera was pointing in the right direction for it to catch whatever it was.

If your flying sideways odds are even if you get the onboard footage you wont see the cause unless your lucky anyhow.

Logs show anything? they should at least show what caused the issue, IMU/Motor failure etc

Yeah, it was IMU failure, my cache was full right before it dropped but the log was pretty clear

Yeah, it was IMU failure, my cache was full right before it dropped but the log was pretty clear
At least you know now though

Is this common for drones? If it is when you buy a drone you dam well better have DJI CARE and some sort of pilot insurance in case you inadvertently drop the craft on someone’s vehicle or head, I already have care refresh plus, and any advice on pilot insurance would be appreciated

Depends where you are, us I have no idea, UK the bmfa gives you public liability insurance with membership

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000