DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP WITH A TERRIBLE ACCIDENT

orP_civaM

Reactions
High Folks, thanks for taking the time to read this. I absolutely love this Drone. I've logged over 1000 hours flying it with no mishaps with the exception of today. Steer clear of trees, Period and you shouldn't have one or at least any major mishaps unless your a beginner and fly the thing straight into the ground due to inexperience. Start of easy and slowly until you get the hang of it.
Im flying my Mavic Pro at a local recreational complex. Take off was perfect and I proceeded to fly around the field / baseball diamonds with no problems at all. Eventualy my battery was running low, and it RtH.I was flying/controlling my drone from the outer edge roof of the complexes main pavillion. My take off was executed from the pitcher's mound of the closest baseball diamond from my location. I was flying my MAVIC PRO off the ground between 2 and 5 ft and what better place to fly than a large level area such as this sport complex in my town.
As I was returning home I came to the opposite side of the pavillion and entered the center isleway about 1-2 feet above the picinic tables but in the center of the pavillion.
About 20 feet into the Pavilion I stopped the drone to hover for a few seconds. I had removed my fingers completely off of the controls and suddenly the motors revved and the drone revved and ascended 1straight up and slammed into the ceiling ( around 12-14 feet higj at full speed and fell to the concrete floornd landing upside down while running at full speed and spun around until it hit a leg of one of the picnic tables. One propeller came off and my MAVIC PRO kept spinning in a circle making its way over to one of the legs of a picnic table. While still spinning it made its way back towards the the center isle still spinning. I grabbed it and pulled the battery out of it. The video had stopped just before I grabbed the drone and managed to pull the battery. Hence I now have my MAVIC PRO with a damaged right rear top of leg with a wire connect to some kind of spade (size and looks like cigarette match , detached right rear leg damaged camera broken propellers and the Lord knows what's damaged inside. and spade. I've had her for around a year and a half and consider myself a pretty experienced drone pilot (heh, like this place, no pun intended) and for the life of me have no idea what happened by the way I had my thumbs fingers hands whatever completely off of the controls I was just holding the controller by the sides.
Any advice or ideas what happened and what I can do in regards to having my drone repaired which I think should not be of any cost to me all your help would well be appreciated thank you for taking the time out to read my unfortunate experience with my MAVIC PRO DRONE.,
Tommy R

¥¥°£π®{ }®π£°¥¥

High Folks, thanks for taking the time to read this. I absolutely love this Drone. I've logged over 1000 hours flying it with no mishaps with the exception of today. Steer clear of trees, Period and you shouldn't have one or at least any major mishaps unless your a beginner and fly the thing straight into the ground due to inexperience. Start of easy and slowly until you get the hang of it.
Im flying my Mavic Pro at a local recreational complex. Take off was perfect and I proceeded to fly around the field / baseball diamonds with no problems at all. Eventualy my battery was running low, and it RtH.I was flying/controlling my drone from the outer edge roof of the complexes main pavillion. My take off was executed from the pitcher's mound of the closest baseball diamond from my location. I was flying my MAVIC PRO off the ground between 2 and 5 ft and what better place to fly than a large level area such as this sport complex in my town.
As I was returning home I came to the opposite side of the pavillion and entered the center isleway about 1-2 feet above the picinic tables but in the center of the pavillion.
About 20 feet into the Pavilion I stopped the drone to hover for a few seconds. I had removed my fingers completely off of the controls and suddenly the motors revved and the drone revved and ascended 1straight up and slammed into the ceiling ( around 12-14 feet higj at full speed and fell to the concrete floornd landing upside down while running at full speed and spun around until it hit a leg of one of the picnic tables. One propeller came off and my MAVIC PRO kept spinning in a circle making its way over to one of the legs of a picnic table. While still spinning it made its way back towards the the center isle still spinning. I grabbed it and pulled the battery out of it. The video had stopped just before I grabbed the drone and managed to pull the battery. Hence I now have my MAVIC PRO with a damaged right rear top of leg with a wire connect to some kind of spade (size and looks like cigarette match , detached right rear leg damaged camera broken propellers and the Lord knows what's damaged inside. and spade. I've had her for around a year and a half and consider myself a pretty experienced drone pilot (heh, like this place, no pun intended) and for the life of me have no idea what happened by the way I had my thumbs fingers hands whatever completely off of the controls I was just holding the controller by the sides.
Any advice or ideas what happened and what I can do in regards to having my drone repaired which I think should not be of any cost to me all your help would well be appreciated thank you for taking the time out to read my unfortunate experience with my MAVIC PRO DRONE.,
Tommy R

¥¥°£π®{ }®π£°¥¥
Can you upload the DAT file from the Mavic? Here is the link on how. -CF

I really don't know why I suggest uploading DATs from he AC as I can't download them:rolleyes:.

Wonder if you hit rth while in pavilion. Or rth was delayed while you were running the controls and when you let go it wanted to go to your rth preset hight

Tommy R

¥¥°£π®{ }®π£°¥¥
My guest without more data is the controller got disconnected,perhaps due to interference with metal structure, and initiated RTH, so it was rising to the RTH altitude.

Reactions: FAWC
A valuable lesson: save everything. Keeping records of events and links saves a lot of time later.
Yup, saved both the links you posted and all the logs I've downloaded to date are categorized in different files on my computer. Should help once I build up a big enough collection. -CF

Reactions: Turn11
having my drone repaired which I think should not be of any cost to me all
You will be very lucky to get your drone repaired foc unless you have warranty, if I read your post right did you cancel auto rth to fly it home manually? then you flew inside a pavilion which you may have then lost gps so back into rth straight up into the ceiling? Cant wait to see the log details which will tell all! Ouch!

Can you upload the DAT file from the Mavic? Here is the link on how. -CF
Yes, I'm going to upload the video on my
Tommy R

Well, I finally uploaded the video taken from the drones camera.
Heres the link. I will work on uploading the DAT File a little larter this evening. Thanks Folks

By the way, dont waste your time watching the whoile thing, unless you want to, the accident is naturally at the very end.
Hope this is a start for why it happened, etc....

Thank you CF. I'll check it out. Haven't had much time lately, but I'll be following the majoritys recommendations.
Peace

You said Battery was Low and you were initiating RTH? THEN.. you took back control of the bird? My best guess is that after a Minute or So, it reinitiated RTH and as it was 20m+ away from home point it went to the RTH height it was set to go via the controller menu.
Had it happen to me once, fortunately I had plenty of Air above me.

Eventualy my battery was running low, and it RtH.

About 20 feet into the Pavilion I stopped the drone to hover for a few seconds. I had removed my fingers completely off of the controls and suddenly the motors revved and the drone revved and ascended 1straight up and slammed into the ceiling

I think you just answered your own question there bud .

I think the lesson learned is
When flying indoors or under a canopy, turn off RTH or change Rth height. Every environment is different adjust your settings accordingly. Iv had lots of close calls with my mavic wigging out suddenly. On a brighter note, this could be the perfect excuse to upgrade to a MP2 or a platinum.

Reactions: Kilrah
Sorry about your crash. It might not be as bad as you think. I fix drones every day.

Here's my repair thread:

Thunderdrones Repair Information
I just want to give an unsolicited recommendation to use Rob at Thunderdones. He is fast, he has fixed 1000s of drones, he is honest, will take really good care of you. And his prices are very affordable, he can repair what you might think is unfixable. Thank you Rob for your great service

Reactions: Former Member

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunatico028