DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with amps and 4Hawks XR not working

garret425

Reactions
Looking for some help. I am trying to run a set of Sunhans 2W 5.8ghz mini amps with a 4Hawks Raptor XR antenna on my 5.8 only MM. The antenna works fine when plugged straight into the TX. But when I connect the amps, I get ZERO signal. I can control the drone fine but the video signal dies immediately. I made sure to have the drone atleast 100ft from the antenna. Only one amp is flashing blue and it is intermittent. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Seems like an easy setup. Any help is appreciated

1. Can you post a picture of your installation?
  2. Are the boosters connected to a power source like a battery? Make sure they are on before turn on anything else.
  3. Make sure the cables connections are correct male to female and not pin to pin.
  4. what model exactly is the sunhans ?
This is not mine but the connection should look something like this.
@RadioFlyerMan is who post this picture and he have the same setup that you probably has. I have the Raptor XR but not boosted yet.

IMG_8466.JPG

Heres pics of my setup. I dont have it mounted up yet, just laying out. All connections are correct, male to female. Sunhans are plugged into an external battery and powered up

Attachments

• 20200903_221049.jpg
    20200903_221049.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
Have you tried moving the left to right antenna cables?

Reactions: garret425
Put the left on right and right on left from the controller or antenna, is the same result.

Have you tried whip antennas connected directly to the amps, leaving out the 4hawks panel ?

Do the Sunhans amps blink blue after start up ?

Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Have you tried whip antennas connected directly to the amps, leaving out the 4hawks panel ?

Do the Sunhans amps blink blue after start up ?
I have not, I can try that tomorrow.

No, they just go solid white. I can get one to blink blue when everything is connected up but its intermittent and the amp buzzes

I might have figured out the problem. I'm reading most people are using 12v batteries to power these amps. I'm running both off a 5v portable pack which I'm finding out is the low end of the input range. I ordered a 12v pack to try

Reactions: zeusfl
I might have figured out the problem. I'm reading most people are using 12v batteries to power these amps. I'm running both off a 5v portable pack which I'm finding out is the low end of the input range. I ordered a 12v pack to try
That shouldn’t be an issue. I run mine on 5v just fine and you are getting power so I doubt that’s it.

One thing is to make sure you have all your connectors correct. Pins in holes, no holes to holes (INSERT DIRTY JOKE HERE)

That shouldn’t be an issue. I run mine on 5v just fine and you are getting power so I doubt that’s it.

One thing is to make sure you have all your connectors correct. Pins in holes, no holes to holes (INSERT DIRTY JOKE HERE)
Hmm ok then. Yeah, I double checked all the connections. Everything is male to female

Thinking logically,

• We are assuming all connections are fine
  • We know the antenna is OK because works without the boosters
  • 2 cables is unlikely to be broken
  • 2 boosters is unlikely to came damage
  • The boosters are not arming correctly
  • Compatibility issues with the antenna i guess is not a possibility since somebody else has the same setup and works.
  • Are your Boosters the exact same model that @RadioFlyerMan has ?
  • Since both of them are having the same issue the only common thing is they are sharing the same power source.
In my logical conclusion i guess can be the power source and possibly this boosters are not the same model as the other user having different requirements on power source.

Thinking logically,

• We are assuming all connections are fine
  • We know the antenna is OK because works without the boosters
  • 2 cables is unlikely to be broken
  • 2 boosters is unlikely to came damage
  • The boosters are not arming correctly
  • Compatibility issues with the antenna i guess is not a possibility since somebody else has the same setup and works.
  • Are your Boosters the exact same model that @RadioFlyerMan has ?
  • Since both of them are having the same issue the only common thing is they are sharing the same power source.
In my logical conclusion i guess can be the power source and possibly this boosters are not the same model as the other user having different requirements on power source.

Looking for some help. I am trying to run a set of Sunhans 2W 5.8ghz mini amps with a 4Hawks Raptor XR antenna on my 5.8 only MM. The antenna works fine when plugged straight into the TX. But when I connect the amps, I get ZERO signal. I can control the drone fine but the video signal dies immediately. I made sure to have the drone atleast 100ft from the antenna. Only one amp is flashing blue and it is intermittent. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Seems like an easy setup. Any help is appreciated
Wish I could help...

FYI, my Sunhans are 3 watt, strictly 2.4 - 2.5 ghz, bi-directional, half-duplex, Model # SH-RC24G3W. For power, I'm using an MPP battery with the USB adapter block, so I'm on the low end of the 5V to 16V/2A DC

I am not familiar with the 2w 5.8 ghz units, but they should work exactly the same. Obviously the most important thing is that the SMA connectors are correct, that there is a resonating load (antenna), and the RC frequency is 5.8 ghz.

Not sure a higher voltage is the answer, but just make sure the available amperage is up to spec.

Keep in mind that I get a "blue" indicator only when they are fed a signal from the RC, otherwise it is white.

This it?Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 2.51.50 PM.pnga

Last edited:
Since we are looking at antenna performance, here are my test results. My tests are site specific to my 100 foot trees, is purely relative and uses vegetation attenuation rather than LOS distance. The objective was to qualitatively decide which antenna to use in an amped and non-amped configuration. As @brett8883 pointed out, my tests do not consider signal to noise ratio. But since it is crudely relative, it's good enough for my efforts to overcome the pine and deciduous forest that surrounds my house in the Class G boonies.
Range Tests.png

Here's are improved pictures of my setup and with the RC removed from the frame...
IMG_8607.JPGIMG_8626.JPGIMG_8627.JPG

Hmm ok then. Yeah, I double checked all the connections. Everything is male to female

Do you get a signal if the panel is connected but the amps are not powered on ?

Here's the exact boosters I'm running:

So I tried changing out the cables between the TX and the boosters from the blue bendy ones that come with them. This time, I got solid white lights before connecting to the TX and then solid white/solid blue on one and solid white only on the other. I got the drone out to about 500 ft before it totally lost signal and never got it back which is an improvement from before where I barely made it 50 ft. But obviously something is still wrong...but it is a change

This is the battery pack I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z8X9SHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here's the exact boosters I'm running:

So I tried changing out the cables between the TX and the boosters from the blue bendy ones that come with them. This time, I got solid white lights before connecting to the TX and then solid white/solid blue on one and solid white only on the other. I got the drone out to about 500 ft before it totally lost signal and never got it back which is an improvement from before where I barely made it 50 ft. But obviously something is still wrong...but it is a change

This is the battery pack I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Z8X9SHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Based on your change, it’s got to be the cables. No use flying if not both blue. I’ve flown with amps off, did get a signal, but no distance. The unpowered amp has way too much attenuation.

Last edited:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa