DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with choosing FVP Goggles.....

TheStormchaser

Reactions
Hi all,

I am new to the group. I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and am REALLY interested in getting FVP goggles. But, when I do the research it just gets so confusing. For those that have the Zoom AND Goggles....what would you recommend?

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Ok, just to make it clear ... I don't have neither the M2Z or goggles. But I were very close to consider a pair for my Mavic Air. What mainly made be back off this time were that the Air doesn't have OccuSync.

But if I somewhere in the future upgrade to a drone that have it & it's still a DJI "Photo"-drone the choice would be simple ... it will most likely not be goggles biased toward FPV-drones like Fatshark.

This is why ... (yeah ... it's a couple years old I know, but still valid I think, if the downsides with the newer versions of Fatsharks still exist can easily be verified on www)

I'm a new DJI RE goggles owner (Xmas), but yet to use them, we're still in the midst of 38 - 40 c heat !!

Anyway, I've been watching videos on Youtube . . . not a lot of newer ones, but there are clear choices for occusync drones.

If you are only using the googles with the DJI drones like your M2Z, the standard white goggles are fine with 2.4ghz frequency.

If you'd like to use the goggles for anything else too, then the RE type will give you the flexibility to use them with FPV type mini and racing drones, and gaming type use in may cases.
These can transmit in either 5.8 or 2.4 for racing drones.
You can even use the optional DJI OcuSync Video Transmission Module and Camera Module on other craft like model cars, boats, whatever.
I'm still looking at all the capabilities of the RE's, but if you just want them for the zoom, the whites are perfect too.

You know about the Moverio glasses ?
That's another option some people prefer, becasue you don't need a visual observer to be legal when flying.

Nice Christmas present! I have my 107, fly a M2P, and have a set of white goggles. I tried to fly with them a couple of times but I am not comfortable flying and taking photos/videos with them and not be able to see the visual line of sight Around the drone. Don't try to roll or reverse with them (voice of experience). I use them for my clients to see what the drone sees in order to help them get the shot or video view they think they want, but I remain in the VLOS mode. I also dabble in FPV drones as a hobby and that sport works well with flight goggles. This type of flying is fast forward motion, no reverse, and yaw and roll are used at the same time with the throttle in a forward movement so you can see what you're going to crash into, is a completely different animal for me. With that said you may consider getting something like a TinyHawk for under $200. A bundle will have box goggles, a simple controller and the Timyhawk drone, everything you need to learn FPV flight at a reasonable cost. They are almost indestructible and will save your $1,500 Mavic from premature destruction. Then you may want to invest in a set of goggles for your M2P or not.

I have a set of the RE goggles, mainly because I also wanted to use them with their 5.8ghz analog capability for freestyle quads and FPV airplanes. With my Mavic 2 Pro, about the only way I ever fly it is FPV with the goggles. And I also use it with HDMI on my computer for flying the Liftoff simulator. The RE goggles are excellent, especially with Ocusync-enabled drones, but the white goggles may be good enough if your Mavic 2 Zoom is the only thing you're flying with them.

Nice Christmas present! I have my 107, fly a M2P, and have a set of white goggles. I tried to fly with them a couple of times but I am not comfortable flying and taking photos/videos with them and not be able to see the visual line of sight Around the drone. Don't try to roll or reverse with them (voice of experience). I use them for my clients to see what the drone sees in order to help them get the shot or video view they think they want, but I remain in the VLOS mode. I also dabble in FPV drones as a hobby and that sport works well with flight goggles. This type of flying is fast forward motion, no reverse, and yaw and roll are used at the same time with the throttle in a forward movement so you can see what you're going to crash into, is a completely different animal for me. With that said you may consider getting something like a TinyHawk for under $200. A bundle will have box goggles, a simple controller and the Timyhawk drone, everything you need to learn FPV flight at a reasonable cost. They are almost indestructible and will save your $1,500 Mavic from premature destruction. Then you may want to invest in a set of goggles for your M2P or not.
If the OP going to fly race drones like the TinyHawk (which is a blast), the OP might be better off getting the DJI RE goggles so he can use them on both the Mavic 2 and the little FPV drones. Those kit goggles tend to be disappointing relative to the visual experience.

Hi all,

I am new to the group. I have a Mavic 2 Zoom and am REALLY interested in getting FVP goggles. But, when I do the research it just gets so confusing. For those that have the Zoom AND Goggles....what would you recommend?

Thanks so much and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
See above posts, but be sure you have an observer with you who has LOS of the drone.

I got DJI RE after complaining they would go out of focus to my wife for 2 days she came back from the dollar store with a pair of x 1.5 reading glasses and now I think they're great ! 1080p With M2P 720p with the MA . I've used them myself maybe 4 times . My wife uses them about every time . Even when I'm flying she still likes to watch through the goggles .
With your Zoom You will be able to link up to 2 pairs of goggles and 2 controllers.

I got DJI RE after complaining they would go out of focus to my wife for 2 days she came back from the dollar store with a pair of x 1.5 reading glasses and now I think they're great ! 1080p With M2P 720p with the MA . I've used them myself maybe 4 times . My wife uses them about every time . Even when I'm flying she still likes to watch through the goggles .
With your Zoom You will be able to link up to 2 pairs of goggles and 2 controllers.
It depends a lot on your age and your degree of presybyopia. I need +4 diopters. I bought some cheap (3 for $12.99) reading glasses off of Amazon, which fit just fine under the goggles. The view in the goggles is crystal clear. DJI makes correcting lens inserts in varying degrees of correction up to 5 diopters, but they get $30 for them.

FPV is a fantastic experience. I'm working hard at shopping FPV drones, especially interested in cinematic drones like the CineWhoops. Trying to decide if I have to get the DJI FPV goggles and Air Unit(s), or if I can get by just on the analog capability of the DJI RE goggles. Not sure at this point that LOS is my particular RC drone or airplane future.

Get The Re/Racing Goggles. I Have Them And Love Them, I Fly FPV 90% Of The Time. Once You Start Flying FPV, You Will ALWAYS Fly FPV, Super Addicting. Take Baby Steps, Wait Till Your Up In The Clear Sky, Then Put The RE’s On, Enable Gimbal Head Tracking, And You Will Be Like, Oh My God, This Is WONDERFUL !!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload