DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with communication.

icemann0

Reactions
I could use some informed instruction on how to use my iPad 2 to fly my Mavic Pro instead of my company cell phone. For obvious reasons I do not want to use the cell phone and bought an iPad 2 to use instead. I don't have a personal cell phone or service since the company has been providing one for the last 18 years. Can I just sign up for a Mint Mobile $15 monthly cell plan to get a sim card to install in the iPad and go on down the road? Do I even need a sim card? Any suggestions on if I'm doing this right would be appreciated. I'm older and a little concerned on flying and want to make sure I don't make a FUBAR mistake by not being able to control it effectively using the iPad and a wireless sim card.

to fly your mavic you do not need to have cell service for your ipad and if you want to have maps while you fly you can download them at home before you leave home

Reactions: Thomas B
Is it better and have a stronger signal or connection to the drone if I do have a sim card and some wireless service installed? I want the best connection I can get.

The connection to the drone is not made by the iPad but through the controller. So, having a sim-card in the pad had no initial influence on the connection.
IN some reports people say, that having an active simcard (maybe trying to pick up a phone signal) might have influence on the performance of the app on your phone. I do not have any problem with that (so far atleast).

Ahh, so having a wireless connection helps the app. I'm still thinking it might be better to have a dedicated wireless signal onboard to help the app even if it can be flown without it. Can anyone confirm?

i think you are missing the point my friend, the screen device is connected to the controller by a cable ,and whether it has cell service or not, makes no difference to the connection between the controller and the drone, the app itself uses a lot of the operating system in the device, and therefore the less apps, and other systems in use at the same time as the go app,the better it is for the apps performance and the battery life of the device

Reactions: Thomas B
An extra option might be to set up a wifi hotspot on your phone and connect the iPad to that.

The controller connects to the Mavic via is own link, it will fly without the phone or tablet. The phone/tablet connects to the controller via USB, it's just a display device for flight data and a way of controlling some more complex flight modes on the drone.

An extra option might be to set up a wifi hotspot on your phone and connect the iPad to that.

The controller connects to the Mavic via is own link, it will fly without the phone or tablet. The phone/tablet connects to the controller via USB, it's just a display device for flight data and a way of controlling some more complex flight modes on the drone.

Thanks, now I understand. I thought you needed an onboard wireless hot spot provided by the phone or tablet to optimize GPS or communication with the drone in flight.

Have my Mavic Pro 2 months now. I had the same ? When I dot mine.
I was asking back then if I could use my iPhone 6s with no cell carrier with it. Took a while to get a good answer.
The answer was yes. It worked fine. Then I decided to buy a used like new iPad mini 4 with 128gig. That works Great.

I’m using a non gps/cell, wifi only Ipad and it works fine. Occasionally, I will tether it to my phone simply to have an updated map image, but that can be done in advance at home.
BTW, I don’t think it is even possible to just “user-add”a sim card to a non cell equipped IPad.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905