DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with downloading and using maps

Kc8we

Reactions
I'm trying to figure out how to use the map function in my Dji fly app.
I searched this forum and checked out a bunch of YouTube videos but I can't seem to find the details I need. I have a feeling that this has been discussed before and I apologize for having missed it . Thanks in advance.

What exactly are you talking about? To access maps while flying the drone all you have to do is click the icon to bring up the maps screen. Sorry I couldn’t help any further.

Don't know if THIS will help but it looks like a handy guide to the fly app.
I don't use the Fly app so may not be as good as I think it may be ?

Thanks. I had watched that before. He implies that you won’t have a detailed map to fly with using the dji fly app unless you have access to the internet with cellular service or have downloaded a map from somewhere to a cache somewhere in your phone or tablet.
Unfortunately I don’t think he explained how he did that.
Since I have an iPad mini with no service, if I’m away from wifi out in the field, unless I’ve somehow stored a map for the area in the tablet I won’t have a detailed map.
It would be great to find a detailed set of instructions about how to load a map so I can use it in the dji app.

I had posted this question for the author of this video and he gave a nice answer which can be read in the comments of my question.

There's been several times before flying when I tried to use the map function and it would be gone, tonight as a good example. I would access this at home first using my home wifi network and leave the app open and sometimes it picks it up and sometimes it doesn't. I also have a ipad mini. Frustrating.

The map function is somewhat of a mystery to me but I was wondering if you turned off the app after you originally got it to appear on your iPad mini from your home WiFi and then turned it on again when you got to the flying site would that work?
Also, I assume your iPad doesn’t have cellular service like mine so you can’t download from the internet in the field. I saw I believe droneXfactor suggest using an iPhone WiFi hotspot function to load the map into the iPad mini.
It would be great to hear how you work this out.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
My ipad mini is wi fi only. I've wondered about this lately, using my iphone as a hotspot. I often fly at a friends farm in the country. There is no wifi there, he's remodeling and a few times there's been no map function. Other times there were. I plan on doing some flying this weekend I'll see what works for me. I'll let you know if it's consistent.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic