DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help with new rule Remote ID reqiuerments

So theres this new remote ID rule coming and the FAA wants comments. The PDF of the new rules is 300+ pages long which I started to read and gave up.Then I wanted to comment and went to the GOV site it says to go to , to make a comment and well you try it. I had no luck trying to weed thru all the pages to find were to comment on this new rules stuff. If anyone can find the exact page were you can really leave a comment please link it here .
Going to post a nother thread with a new ? on same rules.

Not sure if anyone has updated this or not but it says commenting will begin on December 31st.

This whole idea sucks. If transponders are required in drones you can expect the cost of them to triple. Furthermore, whether or not you are breaking any rules, the Barney Fife types of LEOS will be flexing their muscles left and right, since they will know every time your bird is in the air.
Transponders are not required, and in fact will be forbidden in our drones.

Money talks and you can bet the entire industry will steam roll the UAS hobbyist once the commercial applications are realized and made practical.

I fly outside cities and towns and will be hanging onto my MPP which doesn't require authorization for take off.

Money talks, people walk! The FAA is not above money (Boeing?)!
I feel Amazon,UPS, etc., want as much below 400ft as they can possibly control with cash flow!

So theres this new remote ID rule coming and the FAA wants comments. The PDF of the new rules is 300+ pages long which I started to read and gave up.Then I wanted to comment and went to the GOV site it says to go to , to make a comment and well you try it. I had no luck trying to weed thru all the pages to find were to comment on this new rules stuff. If anyone can find the exact page were you can really leave a comment please link it here .

Just so I understand are we talking about this:

Keep in mind this information is obtained from DATA recovered from the UAS flight logs.

Here's the full NTSB report for anyone interested:
20170922X54600-20191223-224259

Because so many don't want to follow those and insist on flying ANYWHERE and ANYWAY they want. If we could have proven we could police our own this wouldn't be happening but we failed in that respect miserably.

I can agree to an extent on the failure of the drone community bringing this crashing down, but the FAA said there are something like 1.5 million UAVs and 150,000 registered pilots (107?). We can't even get people to stop texting and driving which kills thousands of people every year and causes billions of dollar in property loss. When UAVs are a simple retail commodity, self policing becomes a near impossibility.
I fly primarily in areas with no internet, no cell reception to try a hotspot for the proposed internet connection. Almost get the feeling I should sell my UAV's while the getting is good and they become essentially worthless. One diagram showed 400" max altitude and 400' max radius if you don't have internet connectivity. Kind of a limited cylinder of creativity.
It's important to keep in mind we have a 60 day comment period, absolutely everyone needs to submit clearly thought out and as well articulated concerns as you are capable. Form letter comments get talleyed, but "original" comments carry a lot more weight in the comment period process. If you can't get your comments through online as mentioned in earlier posts, you have to send your comments in by mail. Since we can't police everyone ourselves, we at least have to comment from every point on the map possible regarding our concerns, and if possible offer workable solutions to the problems they are trying to address.

Just so I understand are we talking about this:

Yes that's correct and it's not Open until 12/31/2019.

Better, Call Your Congressman/Congresswoman, Because This Is Total B.S.

So Theres NOTHING They Can Do For Micro, Toothpick, 3 Inch Drones, Correct ? Those Will Be Under The FAA Size Limit. Time To Start Buying Drones Right Under Their Limit. I LOVE This Hobby To Much To Give It Up. I Will Switch To Micros, If I Must. Their Are Some Really Nice Ones Out There...

Reactions: maxapeters
Better, Call Your Congressman/Congresswoman, Because This Is Total B.S.
You do realize this is not legislation. This is a proposed rule (regulation) promulgated by the DOT under the current administration.

I think all the lobbying and comments in the world won't stop this, given the corporate money behind it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's clear this up:

Utilizing the standard remote ID requirements in the proposal, you do NOT have to have an internet connection to fly. You DO have to have an aircraft with the capability of utilizing the internet (if it is available) to transmit the required flight data elements, as all Mavics do (not sure about the Mini.) You DO have to have an aircraft with the capability of broadcasting the required flight data elements independent of the internet. This is the fallback in the event you don't have the internet at take-off, or if you do and subsequently lose the internet connection during the flight. In the event you lose both the internet and the aircraft's ability to transmit the required data, you are supposed to land as soon as practicable.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
I can’t make heads or tails of it but the little I read said that the internet option is only available for drones that can only fly 400 ft from the controller, in other words either the Rc part has a design limit or you are using WiFi.

This sounds pretty bad for the thousands of Mavic users.
This vid, a bit long, clarifies the main points.

Aviation is safe because we don't wait for the disaster to put safety precautions in place.

There has been ONE confirmed hobby to manned aircraft incident... others I'm sure.
"At 1919:15, the sUAS pilot pressed the return-to-home (RTH) button on the control tablet, and the aircraft turned around and began tracking northeast toward the home point. The helicopters had completed a turn toward LDJ, and were just west of Coney Island at 300 ft. At 1919:51, the sUAS battery endurance warning activated, indicating that only enough charge remained to return directly to the home point. The pilot did not have visual contact with the sUAS or the helicopters at that time. As the sUAS was tracking northeast, telemetry data dropped out for about 9 seconds but returned just before the collision. The position of the aircraft was near the maximum range of the remote controller. At 1920:17.6, the data logs ended. The last position and altitude logged correlated with the position and altitude of the incident helicopter's recorded data and ATC radar information; about 300 ft west of Hoffman Island. The sUAS pilot reported that he lost signal with the aircraft and assumed it would return home as programmed. After waiting about 30 minutes, he assumed it had experienced a malfunction and crashed in the water. "

Keep in mind this information is obtained from DATA recovered from the UAS flight logs.

Here's the full NTSB report for anyone interested:
20170922X54600-20191223-224259
Here's a photo of the motor and arm of the Phantom which were lodged in the helicopter and recovered after the UH-60 Blackhawk landed. The NTSB was able to determine the owner of the Phantom from the serial number on the motor.
1577576753164.png

Reactions: BigAl07
I feel Amazon,UPS, etc., want as much below 400ft as they can possibly control with cash flow!

I feel it's going to be a long road to profitability for these companies wanting to do full autonomous drone deliveries.
There are SO many factors relating to safety and logistical matters to overcome.

GPS accuracy for this ?
Combined with OA cameras and recent mapping (another big cost) it could work out ok.

True OA, and during landing, MOST important.

Needs Skydio2 type tech, and totally failproof, must see wires, twigs, etc.
Most OA requires good light, so no deliveries after dusk ?
Fast food will be an issue.

Places to land to start is just riddled with problems, driveways perhaps.

Also, you will get numpties trying to interfere with drones during delivery, fast food deliveries and intoxicated or drugged patrons . . . or small children getting too close in excitement etc.

The talk is that for introductions, they will need a pilot in a control room to monitor a flight.
I suppose driver and vehicle cost could be higher, but then they deliver perhaps many dozens or more individual locations during a daily run.

Companies will need fairly nearby, and well stocked warehouses to ship from, or goods will need to go by truck (see point above) and fairly often for fast moving items.

I have seen the medical zipline type craft are very good at what they do, but there are qualified and trained people at either end of the process.
I'm not convinced the masses are ready to be part of that type of system with food / products / mail, whatever.

Professional industry type deliveries are proven to be one way autonomous deliveries can work, but for what is being proposed, they are probably never going to be able to overcome potential human stupidity at the delivery end.

Here's a photo of the motor and arm of the Phantom which were lodged in the helicopter and recovered after the UH-60 Blackhawk landed. The NTSB was able to determine the owner of the Phantom from the serial number on the motor.
View attachment 89016

I would certainly expect in the case above there would be no stone left unturned in finding the pilot of that drone.
And so it should be.

DJI would have to cooperate with digging into records on where that part went, into what final drone, and then to the buyer.
If the drone had been resold, then there could be issues finding the pilot.

I'm fairly certain a DJI consumer drone can't be flown without activation, or even an account opened ?

I was just thinking. Since this information will be available to local law enforcement, I think it's just a way to give some authority over air space to all of the Barney Fife types out there.
I don’t speak for all LE agencies, but I work closely with most sheriff departments in my part of the state I live in and I can tell you from conversation with many of them, they could care less about UAV regulations. Most of the sheriffs offices around here are under staffed and under paid. The last thing they have on their minds is if uncle Jeb is out breaking the law with his UAV. I’m sure LEOs in larger metropolitan areas have a different outlook. But in rural America, it’s a non issue.

I feel it's going to be a long road to profitability for these companies wanting to do full autonomous drone deliveries.
There are SO many factors relating to safety and logistical matters to overcome.

GPS accuracy for this ?
Combined with OA cameras and recent mapping (another big cost) it could work out ok.

True OA, and during landing, MOST important.

Needs Skydio2 type tech, and totally failproof, must see wires, twigs, etc.
Most OA requires good light, so no deliveries after dusk ?
Fast food will be an issue.

Places to land to start is just riddled with problems, driveways perhaps.

Also, you will get numpties trying to interfere with drones during delivery, fast food deliveries and intoxicated or drugged patrons . . . or small children getting too close in excitement etc.

The talk is that for introductions, they will need a pilot in a control room to monitor a flight.
I suppose driver and vehicle cost could be higher, but then they deliver perhaps many dozens or more individual locations during a daily run.

Companies will need fairly nearby, and well stocked warehouses to ship from, or goods will need to go by truck (see point above) and fairly often for fast moving items.

I have seen the medical zipline type craft are very good at what they do, but there are qualified and trained people at either end of the process.
I'm not convinced the masses are ready to be part of that type of system with food / products / mail, whatever.

Professional industry type deliveries are proven to be one way autonomous deliveries can work, but for what is being proposed, they are probably never going to be able to overcome potential human stupidity at the delivery end.

Color me skeptical about commercial drone delivery. I guess we will see.

Amazon drone delivery..

UPS truck with a drone attached.

and then this, larger drone planes...

Cargo Drones

There's another thread about this, but to answer your question, any drone that doesn't have the new ID technology will be limited to CBO areas and VLOS. Expect blacklisting in firmware to pretty much kill recreational flying.

I’m a very new Part 107 pilot trying to understand this rule. What does CBO stand for?

I’m trying to figure this out like most of us.

I’ve heard some people says it’s because of Amazon and UPS that we are getting these rules. I get the idea of tracking drones owned by Amazon and UPS, but why would the FAA need personal drone info?

Is Amazon pushing for Remote ID? If so why?

Thanks for the help,

I’ve only been a Part 107 pilot for a month and there’s a ton of info I’m trying to take in.

Reactions: TheXmanJDD
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michalis