DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here we go. Drone collides with commercial aircraft.

I wonder what evidence they have to state what was hit so conclusively.
They seem to have missed out the usual stuff about it being at improbable altitude and seen flying alongside just over the wing before it hit.

This is a big deal with potential for terrible things to happen....

But as expected, everyone landed safely.

I am not advocating flying drones in a reckless manner like this guy apparently did, but I feel the threat small consumer drones pose to large aircraft is over exaggerated.

Unlikely things happen on a pretty regular basis, but the chance that a ohantom or mavic will bring down a commercial airliner is extremely minimal.

Reactions: cderoche
Altitude and location is at least plausible in this. And no crazy descriptions that dont match any known drone.

The chances of a drone bringing down an aircraft are tiny. However the chances of an impact causing damage that costs money to repair (or even just time and labour of it being out of services while inspected) are substantially higher.

I am not advocating flying drones in a reckless manner like this guy apparently did, but I feel the threat small consumer drones pose to large aircraft is over exaggerated.

Unlikely things happen on a pretty regular basis, but the chance that a ohantom or mavic will bring down a commercial airliner is extremely minimal.
Not all aircraft are large turbines. Perhaps the damage from a collision with a jetliner would be minimal (as long as no metal fragments were ingested into the engines) but catastrophic to a smaller aircraft. Are their safety and lives any less important?
Taking off, and on short and final to landing is when aircraft are most vulnerable. As in, the vicinitity of an airport.

With a max range of a few miles and needing to be really low to make out people i wouldn't hold your breath.

No question that this is over exaggerated, but when I saw this on Yahoo, I thought "oh, crap!". This is not good for our hobby and I am constantly surprised by the "shoot 'em down" comments.
Our hobby is generally misunderstood. There probably should be some sort of disclosure of the basic rules of flight at the time a new pilot logs on for the first time. Had I not found this site early, I would not have been aware of the rules of the road that we should abide by as we make our first few flights.
We need GOOD P.R., not another collision or near-collision story adding to the myth that our hobby is dangerous and we (as a group) are scofflaws. Whatever happened to common sense?
I like the rescue idea. A swarm of quadcopters searching for a lost kid in a National Park would...oh, never mind; we can't fly in a National Park. I hope this doesn't lead to us being corralled in fly-parks as some of the story commentators suggested.

Too bad the super quiet props, lack of updates, and bootleg control software didnt prevent this collision. :D

Google

AeroScope

DJI is testing it out. Will let law enforcement detect your drone near airports and get a ping on it's maps and serial number of the owner.

Basically detects when the drone is powered on near it. Also will send them altitude and speed etc.

DJI selling out to the feds to get a monopoly on the industry as the regulatory hammer is about to smash down in 2018......

Bird strikes are probably always going to be far more frequent and dangerous. Ask Capt. Sullivan. They'll always be the odd idiot doing something dumb regardless of the hobby though. Hope we don't see anymore of these. You know how some politicians are... ready to ban anything or over regulate it to death.

Just wait until a drone operator helps locate victims of a plane crash and we'll see the song they're singing then.

I agree 100%. I can find far more stories out there on drones saving lives or doing good than the few bad ones. As always bad news goes viral far quicker.

With a max range of a few miles and needing to be really low to make out people i wouldn't hold your breath.

Even though its not really designed for it, having the ability to get airborne quickly, and get to places otherwise hard to access by foot, a drone can get it done sometimes. In this case the person had drowned already, but at least his spouse now knows for sure what happened and can have closure.

Mavic Pro successfully finds drowning victim

Fisherman's body recovered

No question that this is over exaggerated, but when I saw this on Yahoo, I thought "oh, crap!". This is not good for our hobby and I am constantly surprised by the "shoot 'em down" comments.
Our hobby is generally misunderstood. There probably should be some sort of disclosure of the basic rules of flight at the time a new pilot logs on for the first time. Had I not found this site early, I would not have been aware of the rules of the road that we should abide by as we make our first few flights.
We need GOOD P.R., not another collision or near-collision story adding to the myth that our hobby is dangerous and we (as a group) are scofflaws. Whatever happened to common sense?
I like the rescue idea. A swarm of quadcopters searching for a lost kid in a National Park would...oh, never mind; we can't fly in a National Park. I hope this doesn't lead to us being corralled in fly-parks as some of the story commentators suggested.

Park Rangers probably can if someone is lost in the woods. Lots of local fire and sheriff departments are starting to buy drones for this purpose. Probably would come in handy like the military uses small drones also, allows them to get a better look during an active shooter situation - like a suspect hiding behind a wall, etc without putting personnel in harms way at first.

In Australia the surf lifesavers use them to help patrol beaches for sharks and guide them to swimmers in trouble, can even drop a swimmer a water activated inflatable life preserver. The range, endurance and reliability will only get better, the tech is here to stay! I bet 100 or so years ago car ownering pioneers probably fought the same battles with horse and buggy owners. I guess some people fear change instead of embracing it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roligtroll