DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro successfully finds drowning victim

dougf

Reactions
Our Fire Department Mavic found a drown fisherman completely submerged in deep water on the Gunnison River near Hotchkiss, Colorado on Saturday October 7th. I was unable to spot the faint outline of the victim on the iPad, but checked the video later that night on my 25" monitor, and luckily was able to see an outline. I used a web-based GIS program to get a very accurate location, and crew returned the next morning and recovered him at that spot.

The story is here: Fisherman's body recovered

The successful flyover was actually on the Mavic's first flight of the search, at 9:50 AM. We continued to search for the rest of the day, and flew for about 3 hours. I complied the video from several flights. The section of video where the victim was found is not for publication and not included due to sensitivity to the victim's family.

The video is here:

I was unable to spot the faint outline of the victim on the iPad, but checked the video later that night on my 25" monitor, and luckily was able to see an outline.

Would using DJI's Goggles or a hood allowed you to catch it at the time, do you think? (potentially avoiding having to search for the rest of the day)

Reactions: sar104
If you want to further improve your SAR capabilities over water, then you should invest into a PL filter. This will reduce the glare from the water and you will see down to the ground, even if the water is several metres in depth. I guess, using a PL filter you would have easily seen the victim on your iPad, too.

Reactions: ZUCSTA and sar104
I've thought for ages now drones would be excellent for surf lifesaving searches when people go missing in surf at beaches.
From the air you can easily see dark outlines of people unconscious on the bottom, sharks etc have been spotted for years by plane.
When a kid or adult goes missing, drones could play an awesome role.
I know some larger beach surf clubs in Australia are playing around with drones, and hope the potential for finding an hovering over victims needing rescue (to guide lifesavers to location) is recognised.

I had a screen cover and got myself under a tree. I had little glare. The victim was only on screen for about 3 seconds, and is in a position you would not expect to find someone. I'm pretty sure I would have missed it on the iPad, where it's much less than a 1/4" ( 8 mm or so) in size.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZUCSTA and BigAl07
If you want to further improve your SAR capabilities over water, then you should invest into a PL filter. This will reduce the glare from the water and you will see down to the ground, even if the water is several metres in depth. I guess, using a PL filter you would have easily seen the victim on your iPad, too.

Thanks, when we purchased the unit, the thought was using it for wildfires or land searches, and not too much for river rescue. It took most of my first couple of flights to figure out how to best search, and the drone captured the video over the victim on it's very first flight. One trick I picked up was to fly away from the sun with the camera not quite straight down, which, by luck, was how the image was captured. As it was, it was only on screen for just under 3 seconds, and pretty small on a tablet. (actually pretty small on a 25 inch monitor, too)

A state guru on UAS advised against filters when we were making the purchase. I'm going to buy one, and suggest to him that it's more than useful.

Reactions: SkyNinja
A state guru on UAS advised against filters when we were making the purchase. I'm going to buy one, and suggest to him that it's more than useful.

They definitely are! It's not a UAS thing, it's a camera thing.

Would using DJI's Goggles or a hood allowed you to catch it at the time, do you think? (potentially avoiding having to search for the rest of the day)

Either of those should help, but I think the Goggles, especially if used by a second person, would be the best option. I'm planning to do some practice search evaluations with that configuration.

I’m trying to get my SAR team in WA setup for using drones. What were all the hoops you had to jump through in order to fly in support of that mission? Also, what equipment have you found to be the most useful to have? Do you film in 4K or do you downgrade to 1080p to save storage? Appreciate the help!

I just use the native video default from the Mavic. Nothing fancy.

I use GS Pro and Drone deploy, and the new iPad, 4 batteries ( going to get 2 or 3 more), pretty much the basic set up. And I'm going to get a polarized lens cover. One of our people has a FAA license now, and is working towards all of the pilots having on. Other than that, no hoops, except the basic understanding you're risking $750 every time you fly. If you're org is ok with that, go for it. (it's the wild, wild west where we live, so it may be different for you).

By the way, I'm thinking these drones are better used on land survey (like for a wildfire perimeter) and such than search and rescue. At least for right now, they are only a tool, not the final solution. When a good affordable, super good IR camera with live view becomes available, IMO, they will be more useful.

I’m trying to get my SAR team in WA setup for using drones. What were all the hoops you had to jump through in order to fly in support of that mission? Also, what equipment have you found to be the most useful to have? Do you film in 4K or do you downgrade to 1080p to save storage? Appreciate the help!

Either of those should help, but I think the Goggles, especially if used by a second person, would be the best option. I'm planning to do some practice search evaluations with that configuration.

Could be. My unfounded opinion is: I'm afraid of losing my sense of direction and losing the drone, or even falling in the river myself wearing the googles. My experience is very limited both in flying and in using VR.

Could be. My unfounded opinion is: I'm afraid of losing my sense of direction and losing the drone, or even falling in the river myself wearing the googles. My experience is very limited both in flying and in using VR.

I think it is better for an observer to use the goggles, rather than the pilot, in this application.

I think it is better for an observer to use the goggles, rather than the pilot, in this application.

I agree. The pilot can concentrate solely on following the path of the river whilst an ‘observer’ can dedicate their attention to analysing the feed.

Late to the discussion here but if you're going to use goggles it must be your VO using them as the Pilot has to have eyes on the aircraft and be able to maintain Sitational Awareness. If you can't see the area you're flying in you can't not maintain See & Avoid which is required for all UAS operators in the US.

We use PL filters for any water ops. They can literally make a day & night difference over water but do nothing over land.

We shoot in 1080p because the monitors etc in the ICP can't process anything higher so it's a waste of time and resources.

One thing I suggest.... if you're not actively shooting still images always be recording video. You'd be amazed at the things you miss watching the screen live.

Also keep in mind... when you're doing SAR you're not really looking for a "person" but for items that are out of place. Of course a body under the water is 'out of place' but it could also be a tennis shoe, water bottle, candy bar wrapper etc. These items are next to impossible to pick up on Live View.

If you're using iOS you can also airplay the video stream LIVE to a large format TV/Monitor to give better situational awareness for your IC.

Yes ,I find the goggles much better over water ,I have been trialling over beaches and lakes the last 6months. Polarised filters are great .Alot depends on weather ,Time of day etc. I have become quite adept at Recognising sea creatures now , Initially thru the shadow as I fly past ,Then up close when I investigate.
Another year and these Drones will be Standard on Beaches and waterways in a shark watch and Lifesaving Capacity.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580