DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here we go Remote ID Cost

I'm betting that there will still be plenty of great places to fly where there won't be any commercial drone-related activity - at least in the short to medium term. If you're a serious player (recreational or otherwise) then you will pay whatever it costs to stay in the game - those that don't want to pay would be better off getting a new hobby.
"Yeah, those that cannot afford whatever the govt wants to charge get the heck out of the way. Only those who can afford what our govt mandates should have the right to fly..........he he he. Let them eat cake." " Fictitious Amazon internal memo"

Nope just a remote RCV'r built onto the GPS Aircraft side...No Transmit.
To clarify, it has an ADS-B receiver where manned aircraft should be transmitting ID and telemetry.

Recent DJI products do transmit ID if operator enables it, but I believe that's in the signal sent to your remote that can be picked up only with proper equipment that can intercept and decode your AC's telemetry signal.

"Yeah, those that cannot afford whatever the govt wants to charge get the heck out of the way. Only those who can afford what our govt mandates should have the right to fly..........he he he. Let them eat cake." " Fictitious Amazon internal memo"
Yeah, but I think you would find that most, if not all, drone operators could easily afford the Remote ID fee, let's split the difference at $5 per month. If not how did they afford to spend an average of probably $1,000 on the drone (including accessories) in the first place? Maybe they could give up their Netflix or that daily cappuccino from Starbucks??

To clarify, it has an ADS-B receiver where manned aircraft should be transmitting ID and telemetry.

Recent DJI products do transmit ID if operator enables it, but I believe that's in the signal sent to your remote that can be picked up only with proper equipment that can intercept and decode your AC's

Correct - that is how DJI AeroScope is able to detect DJI drones.

Yeah, but I think you would find that most, if not all, drone operators could easily afford the Remote ID fee, let's split the difference at $5 per month. If not how did they afford to spend an average of probably $1,000 on the drone (including accessories) in the first place? Maybe they could give up their Netflix or that daily cappuccino from Starbucks??

While I agree $5 is not much, are there any other hobbies that require a monthly fee? I think that's what is annoying most people, having to pay monthly, for a hobby.

While I agree $5 is not much, are there any other hobbies that require a monthly fee? I think that's what is annoying most people, having to pay monthly, for a hobby.
So like I said, they can pay the fee or get another hobby where no fees are required. Simple choice really but, of course, there are those who will continue operating their drones but not pay the fee. "God-given right" and all that other intelligent stuff that comes out of their mouths - LOL

$5/month is $60/year. That can be a lot for some. But vehicle registration can be much more than that yearly, not to mention insurance, even for a recreational vehicle.

This could force better nationwide wireless coverage.

The issue isn't afford, the issue is proven necessity. Why should anyone be required to pay for a government mandated piece of equipment when the government hasn't proven a compelling need for that equipment? Of the millions of flight hours flown by drone operators I'd like to see the statistics that there are any safety concerns that rival those for general aviation. What ifs don't amount to compelling evidence.

The issue isn't afford, the issue is proven necessity. Why should anyone be required to pay for a government mandated piece of equipment when the government hasn't proven a compelling need for that equipment? Of the millions of flight hours flown by drone operators I'd like to see the statistics that there are any safety concerns that rival those for general aviation. What ifs don't amount to compelling evidence.
So what are you suggesting? That there be a sky chock full of all sorts of drones, commercial and recreational, without any kind of Tracking system? Instead of the constant whining, it would be good if someone could come up with a viable alternative to Remote ID that would be free of cost to the end-user. And don’t bother suggesting that the government should pay for it because that clearly isn’t going to happen especially given the massive deficits that will burden the public purse for generations to come.

And as for “What ifs”, that is EXACTLY how the FAA operates so good luck trying to change a fundamental doctrine governing how the FAA goes about its business of regulating the airspace. The FAA is not in court under oath therefore "compelling evidence" is not a requirement.

So what are you suggesting? That there be a sky chock full of all sorts of drones, commercial and recreational, without any kind of Tracking system? Instead of the constant whining, it would be good if someone could come up with a viable alternative to Remote ID that would be free of cost to the end-user. And don’t bother suggesting that the government should pay for it because that clearly isn’t going to happen especially given the massive deficits that will burden the public purse for generations to come.

And as for “What ifs”, that is EXACTLY how the FAA operates so good luck trying to change a fundamental doctrine governing how the FAA goes about its business of regulating the airspace. The FAA is not in court under oath therefore "compelling evidence" is not a requirement.
A viable alternative for what purpose? Again, show me the compelling evidence that mandates the system is needed. No, the FAA does NOT operate on what ifs. If they did there would be no general aviation, experimental aircraft or recreational pilot's license. I could come up with many more dangerous what ifs for those operations than for any drone operations. If the FAA or any other government agency is going to mandate I have to spend X amount of dollars for a piece of equipment there sure do need to have a compelling reason for it. Or are you one of the "sheep" that bend the knee to whatever the government mandates regardless of the reasoning or lack of reasoning behind the mandate?

A viable alternative for what purpose? Again, show me the compelling evidence that mandates the system is needed. No, the FAA does NOT operate on what ifs. If they did there would be no general aviation, experimental aircraft or recreational pilot's license. I could come up with many more dangerous what ifs for those operations than for any drone operations. If the FAA or any other government agency is going to mandate I have to spend X amount of dollars for a piece of equipment there sure do need to have a compelling reason for it. Or are you one of the "sheep" that bend the knee to whatever the government mandates regardless of the reasoning or lack of reasoning behind the mandate?

Maybe you should do some research so that you can gain just a little understanding of how things work in the real world. You might then also discover the fundamental differences between manned aviation including general aviation, experimental aircraft, recreational pilots etc, and unmanned UAVs.

The "FAA or any other government agency" doesn't care about you and why should they especially given your "sovereign citizen" attitude. So don't pay for remote ID but also don't be a cry-baby when you are fined for breaking the law. Of course, you don't have to be a "sheep" but, until you get a grip on reality, neither do you have any standing or influence whatsoever.

Maybe you should do some research so that you can gain just a little understanding of how things work in the real world. You might then also discover the fundamental differences between manned aviation including general aviation, experimental aircraft, recreational pilots etc, and unmanned UAVs.

The "FAA or any other government agency" doesn't care about you and why should they especially given your "sovereign citizen" attitude. So don't pay for remote ID but also don't be a cry-baby when you are fined for breaking the law. Of course, you don't have to be a "sheep" but, until you get a grip on reality, neither do you have any standing or influence whatsoever.
I’ve been a manned aircraft pilot for over 30 years so you’re not going to lecture me on how things are done in the real world.

In the real world regulations should be based on facts, logic and reason. If justification for regulations are based on what if’s it gives the government nearly unfettered license to regulate everything under the sun. And don’t throw this down as if it’s about “me” personally or the sovereign citizen nonsense. This is about the rational reasoning that should be the foundation for the creation of laws and regulations.

So again, show me the statistical evidence that mandates the pressing need for remote ID. You won’t because you can’t because there is none.

I’ve been a manned aircraft pilot for over 30 years so you’re not going to lecture me on how things are done in the real world.

In the real world regulations should be based on facts, logic and reason. If justification for regulations are based on what if’s it gives the government nearly unfettered license to regulate everything under the sun. And don’t throw this down as if it’s about “me” personally or the sovereign citizen nonsense. This is about the rational reasoning that should be the foundation for the creation of laws and regulations.

So again, show me the statistical evidence that mandates the pressing need for remote ID. You won’t because you can’t because there is none.

So when you say, "In the real world regulations should be based on facts, logic, and reason", is that based on your personal opinion as to what are the " facts, logic and reason"? I don't believe that is the case. If you can't understand why there is a need (and no one has suggested a pressing need) for remote ID then, again you're not living in the real world.

In any case, regardless of how many people agree with your sentiments, it's highly likely (more like a certainty) that remote ID will be implemented and there will be a cost to the end-user. So keep whining if it makes you feel better but, unless you can convince the FAA and Congress to wind it all back then all you're really doing is wasting keystrokes.

Do something constructive. Start a petition, and get as many signatures on it as you can. Write letters to the FAA, local government, and your Governor. But I'm sure that this has already been done by people who live in the real world, so fortunately for you, there could be some changes going forward to make you happy.

So when you say, "In the real world regulations should be based on facts, logic, and reason", is that based on your personal opinion as to what are the " facts, logic and reason"? I don't believe that is the case. If you can't understand why there is a need (and no one has suggested a pressing need) for remote ID then, again you're not living in the real world.

In any case, regardless of how many people agree with your sentiments, it's highly likely (more like a certainty) that remote ID will be implemented and there will be a cost to the end-user. So keep whining if it makes you feel better but, unless you can convince the FAA and Congress to wind it all back then all you're really doing is wasting keystrokes.

Do something constructive. Start a petition, and get as many signatures on it as you can. Write letters to the FAA, local government, and your Governor. But I'm sure that this has already been done by people who live in the real world, so fortunately for you, there could be some changes going forward to make you happy.
I see you continue to avoid the central question. What is the pressing need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars (more likely billions) and create this system of remote ID? And yes, when we are talking about spending this type of money and dramatically changing the requirements for flying drones, you should be able to demonstrate a pressing need for developing these regulations.

And again, don’t try to make this about me. If there are FACTS that drive the logic and rational reasoning to develop these regulations present them.

As for starting a petition, because too many in government have the “we are the government and know what’s best for you” attitude, and too many in the private sector have your attitude of acceptance to that notion, petitions don’t seem to have much impact. That’s where we have come to in this country on many issues.

Making rules is one thing. Having the ability to enforcement them is another. I drove on some highways today where there were various speed limits posted. I saw hundreds vehicles on those roads violating those limits. That’s the “real” world. Most people willingly obey rules when they understand the rational basis for the rule. When there is no factual and rational basis for a rule rational people will tend to ignore them.

Making rules is one thing. Having the ability to enforcement them is another. I drove on some highways today where there were various speed limits posted. I saw hundreds vehicles on those roads violating those limits. That’s the “real” world. Most people willingly obey rules when they understand the rational basis for the rule. When there is no factual and rational basis for a rule rational people will tend to ignore them.
Yup.

I see you continue to avoid the central question. What is the pressing need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars (more likely billions) and create this system of remote ID? And yes, when we are talking about spending this type of money and dramatically changing the requirements for flying drones, you should be able to demonstrate a pressing need for developing these regulations.

And again, don’t try to make this about me. If there are FACTS that drive the logic and rational reasoning to develop these regulations present them.

As for starting a petition, because too many in government have the “we are the government and know what’s best for you” attitude, and too many in the private sector have your attitude of acceptance to that notion, petitions don’t seem to have much impact. That’s where we have come to in this country on many issues.

You evidently have a short memory - see post #130 where I "addressed the central question" with, so what are you suggesting? That there be a sky chock full of all sorts of drones, commercial and recreational, without any kind of Tracking system?

It's totally naive for anyone to believe that there doesn't need to be some sort of A.I. implemented to help manage and coordinate the various kinds of unmanned traffic that will be sharing the allocated airspace. For that to happen there MUST be some kind of tracking system in place - even a five-year-old would be able to grasp that basic concept.

Again and again, all you have been doing is whine and now using that old but irrelevant chestnut of what happens with cars on highways. You believe in a fantasy that doing nothing is a solution.

You evidently have a short memory - see post #130 where I "addressed the central question" with, so what are you suggesting? That there be a sky chock full of all sorts of drones, commercial and recreational, without any kind of Tracking system?

It's totally naive for anyone to believe that there doesn't need to be some sort of A.I. implemented to help manage and coordinate the various kinds of unmanned traffic that will be sharing the allocated airspace. For that to happen there MUST be some kind of tracking system in place - even a five-year-old would be able to grasp that basic concept.

Again and again, all you have been doing is whining and now using that old but irrelevant chestnut of what happens with cars on highways. You believe in a fantasy that doing nothing is a solution.
You didn’t address the central question. Your “a sky chock full of all sorts of drones” is gross speculation. Where is the “real world” analysis on the how many drones, utilized in what manner drives the need for spending billions of dollars? Where is the analysis based on historical data that demonstrates there has been a serious public safety issue given the number of drones currently in use that can be extrapolated to show a real world danger when that number is doubled or tripled?

You call asking for facts, hard statistics, whining. Nonsense! You don’t have the facts so you resort to characterizing questions as whining. The onus is on you to advance a factual argument for creation of this rules and spending a billion dollars or more. That factual argument doesn’t begin with the statement “a sky chock full of drones”, not in the “real world”.

You didn’t address the central question. Your “a sky chock full of all sorts of drones” is gross speculation. Where is the “real world” analysis on the how many drones, utilized in what manner drives the need for spending billions of dollars? Where is the analysis based on historical data that demonstrates there has been a serious public safety issue given the number of drones currently in use that can be extrapolated to show a real world danger when that number is doubled or tripled?

You call asking for facts, hard statistics, whining. Nonsense! You don’t have the facts so you resort to characterizing questions as whining. The onus is on you to advance a factual argument for creation of this rules and spending a billion dollars or more. That factual argument doesn’t begin with the statement “a sky chock full of drones”, not in the “real world”.

No, I have said enough on this topic. You simply don't get it. You're not willing to accept the inevitable and cannot grasp simple concepts - it's not possible to get through to such a closed and stubborn mind-set.

When the remote-id system is formally implemented and IT WILL BE IMPLEMENTED - I'll have a good belly laugh when you're one of the first recalcitrants to be fined and have your UAV confiscated - LOL.

No, I have said enough on this topic. You simply don't get it. You're not willing to accept the inevitable and cannot grasp simple concepts - it's not possible to get through to such a closed and stubborn mind-set.

When the remote-id system is formally implemented and IT WILL BE IMPLEMENTED - I'll be the first to have a good belly laugh when you're one of the first recalcitrants to be fined and have your UAV confiscated - LOL.
No, I get that you don’t have a factual, rational and logical basis for your argument. But you are not alone since the FAA doesn’t have one either. These regulations aren’t about safety but control. Enjoy your laugh. Ignorance is bliss.

If there are FACTS that drive the logic and rational reasoning to develop these regulations present them.
Regulations in aviation are not always based on statistics. They are often based on predictions about what could happen if the regulation wasn’t there. Take ADS-B, for example. It isn’t being introduced because aircraft are regularly flying into each other - it’s being introduced to prevent them flying into each other. Just like many other regulations, a potential threat to safe operation in congested airspace was noted and a requirement introduced to try to mitigate it. Your drone uses the same airspace as every other aircraft so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t be subject to similar safety-related rules and regulations. Many DJI drones can already transmit flight data to a suitably equipped ground station so the technology doesn’t necessarily have to be wildly expensive.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique