DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Here we go Remote ID Cost

Don't they have authority over all US airspace ?
Or are you flying only in other countries, or totally indoors ?
The Philippines, West Papua/Indonesia, FSM, Papua New Guinea, etc.. If I fly in Guam, of course, it is their jurisdiction but not the rest of the Indo-Pacific. And excuse my ignorance on this, but if the craft doesn't or can't connect to this signal, does that ground the aircraft? How will that work? Does everyone have to fly in heavily connected areas to make it work? What does this equipment do to your drone's performance?

Last edited:
Yes tne one-time $5 paid now id the law. But when the new rules come out, what good does all this tracking and registration do me? I don't even fly in areas the FAA has jurisdiction yet it wants me to fork over roughly $120 annually (per drone???) according to that article. DJI's approach certainly makes much more sense.... which means the government will probably not adopt it.

Under the current proposal it would be $5 per month to a RemoteID service provider.

The Article that started this entire thread says most likely $9.83 monthly I believe.
"the average monthly cost of a Remote ID network-based service for a drone user would be $9.83, rather than the FAA’s $2.50 estimate"

The Philippines, West Papua/Indonesia, FSM, Papua New Guinea, etc.. If I fly in Guam, of course, it is their jurisdiction but not the rest of the Indo-Pacific.

Ah, nice locations . . . I just read your post #78 where you said you don't live in CONUS (just learned a new geo term related to the USA !).

I see no reason to register or licence etc in the US then, for Guam of course needed.
As such I guess you need to make that economic decision if only flying in Guam or possibly some other US territories occasionally.

Those costs you posted "$120 annually" per drone, is that a commercial structure, or is that what each drones remote id monitoring etc is expected to cost, for hobbyists too ?
If so, that is pretty costly, but not unbearable for most (suppose it depends on a pilots 'fleet'), it's an expensive hobby for good gear, repairs if needed etc.

And excuse my ignorance on this, but if the craft doesn't or can't connect to this signal, does that ground the aircraft? How will that work? Does everyone have to fly in heavily connected areas to make it work? What does this equipment do to your drone's performance?

Ah, nice locations . . . I just read your post #78 where you said you don't live in CONUS (just learned a new geo term related to the USA !).

I see no reason to register or licence etc in the US then, for Guam of course needed.
As such I guess you need to make that economic decision if only flying in Guam or possibly some other US territories occasionally.

Those costs you posted "$120 annually" per drone, is that a commercial structure, or is that what each drones remote id monitoring etc is expected to cost, for hobbyists too ?
If so, that is pretty costly, but not unbearable for most (suppose it depends on a pilots 'fleet'), it's an expensive hobby for good gear, repairs if needed etc.
The article that started this thread, which quotes DJI's estimate of what really will be the monthly fee, estimates $9.83 per month. So roughly $117.96 annually.

And excuse my ignorance on this, but if the craft doesn't or can't connect to this signal, does that ground the aircraft? How will that work? Does everyone have to fly in heavily connected areas to make it work? What does this equipment do to your drone's performance?
Unless modified due to input if there is no WiFi the drone will be limited to a 400’ diameter semi sphere (range and altitude). Since the Safest flying in Arizona is in the desert wildlands I hope this one is removed.

Reactions: OurAngryBadger

NPRM, page 94: “A standard remote identification UAS that loses connection to the internet or that can no longer transmit to a Remote ID USS after takeoff would be able to continue its flight, as long as it continues broadcasting the message elements.”

You can operate a Standard Remote ID UAS in an area where you don’t have access to the internet. If the internet is available, you have to transmit via network too. If the internet is not available, you are allowed to take off using only broadcast.

Unless modified due to input if there is no WiFi the drone will be limited to a 400’ diameter semi sphere (range and altitude). Since the Safest flying in Arizona is in the desert wildlands I hope this one is removed.
OMG!! Pretty useless unless you like selfies or something!!

The article that started this thread, which quotes DJI's estimate of what really will be the monthly fee, estimates $9.83 per month. So roughly $117.96 annually.

Right - so you are going to go with random, unsupported speculation by an "analyst".

• Haha
Reactions: TheRock
"a Remote ID USS after takeoff would be able to continue its flight, as long as it continues broadcasting the message elements.” - So what happens when it loses signal? It just sits there? It returns to home? I can see this wasn't very well thought out.

You're funny. I'd hardly call DJI a random analyst.

Reactions: badaxed
OMG!! Pretty useless unless you like selfies or something!!

No - that's not correct. The broadcast function is sufficient if there is no internet connectivity. Why don't you just read the proposal rather than contributing random noise to the discussion?

I trust the analyst more than the government; we're talking about the people here that pay $200 for a hammer and $8000 for a toilet

To elaborate - you trust an analyst hired by a company with a significant vested interest in fighting the proposal more than you trust the proposal itself. That seems unwise. And there is little motivation for the FAA to under-estimate the cost, since it will have to be nailed down before anything becomes law anyway. I'm not clear what this has to do with government procurement practices, since they won't be paying.

"a Remote ID USS after takeoff would be able to continue its flight, as long as it continues broadcasting the message elements.” - So what happens when it loses signal? It just sits there? It returns to home? I can see this wasn't very well thought out.

If you mean loses connection to the RC, then that's irrelevant to the requirement provided that the aircraft continues to broadcast. You would have known that if you had read the proposal. Or are you just trolling?

If you mean loses connection to the RC, then that's irrelevant to the requirement provided that the aircraft continues to broadcast. You would have known that if you had read the proposal. Or are you just trolling?
You are always the combative one when this stuff comes up. I don't mean the signal to the RC I am referring to the remote ID losing signal and not continuing broadcasting the message elements. What happens? I don't see that anywhere. Does the drone stop? Does it return to home? Does nothing happen? And yes, the consultant has an agenda, which is to save us drone owners ridiculous government oversights and more costs associated with, what is for most, a personal hobby. What's next, a remote ID for people who build ships in a bottle?

No - that's not correct. The broadcast function is sufficient if there is no internet connectivity. Why don't you just read the proposal rather than contributing random noise to the discussion?
What is useless is 400ft ceiling and 400ft half radius. Unless you actually think that will work for you.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada