DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi all! My Mavic Pro had a fly-away and DJI is giving me Bull.

The real cause is unlikely to be identified yet it has to be said, fly in those environments and you are asking for trouble for all the reasons stated. Dare I say I think WE ALL have a duty to follow the codes of conduct [some praise on here for 'grabbing' the great foto!] before the the hobby gets so regulated you make it out of reach for many. Those codes go some way to protect your asset.

Hasn't been said? Hahaha! A normal religious figure only mounts the pulpit once a week, you guys preach seven days a week! What happens in Hong Kong is very unlikely to affect me. Just like some guy getting drunk and driving his car into a bus load of children here will hardly effect driving laws in China. Yeesh.

Good advice, except for calibrating compass every time before you fly. Only re-calibrate your compass if requested by the AC or you move to a location far away from where you calibrated your compass. For example, you calibrate in Perth and then you bring it to Sydney.

Even then it’s not needed, I have flown Sydney to Auckland and not calibrated and Sydney to HK without cal

Even then it’s not needed, I have flown Sydney to Auckland and not calibrated and Sydney to HK without cal
Good to know, thanks! But if it was me, I would probably still re-calibrate. Just for my peace of mind :)

Good to know, thanks! But if it was me, I would probably still re-calibrate. Just for my peace of mind :)
It's riskier to do that and you'll have more chance of something going crazy.

E. G you go to a new unknown location and you calibrate. But there's steel supports or even a car buried under where you're standing or a strong badly configured mobile tower. This will affect the new calibration. 6ou take off and that influence goes away... All of a sudden, your compass gets errors...

This could lead to disaster!

Reactions: Cut.Aussie
It's riskier to do that and you'll have more chance of something going crazy.

E. G you go to a new unknown location and you calibrate. But there's steel supports or even a car buried under where you're standing or a strong badly configured mobile tower. This will affect the new calibration. 6ou take off and that influence goes away... All of a sudden, your compass gets errors...

This could lead to disaster!
Well...no. Because before you re-calibrate, you'll have to check for compass interference first. Open the Go4, go to compass and check for interference. Only do compass calibration in a place where interference is low.

Now that you mention it, it is a good opportunity to remind everyone that you should only do compass calibration where you have low compass interference. While most people must have known about this, some probably didn't know or simply don't remember.

I have the refresh on mine and 7 days ago i filed a claim . I was told in 24 to 48 hrs i would recieve an email and shipping label . Im still waiting and dji will not return my email and when i call im on eternal hold . All I can say is dji and its customer support and warranty assistance is the worse Ive scene .

You do know that you are not their only customer, right?

Same, I talked to them on Friday. They answered the questions and aren't me a follow up email within the hour.

Heck, a couple weeks ago, I set my DJI ND32 filter down like an idiot to get a night shot and forgot it. I went on chat at around midnight and was answered in a couple minutes. I was hoping that they'd send me one, no luck but hey, it was my fault to begin with. Some people are so unreasonable and I sometimes wonder if it isn't trolls from the 3DRPilots forum.... Is that you Pedals to Paddles? Hmmmm? Hahahaha!

Reactions: Flycaster
You do know that you are not their only customer, right?
when it comes to getting help from dji,YES i am the ONLY customer they have

Reactions: kakao
My understanding is:

1) With Care Refresh. DJI will replace your drone even if the crash was totally your fault, as long as you have the broken drone.
2) With Care Refresh. If you lost the drone, DJI has no obligation to do anything.
3) Without Care Refresh, DJI has no obligation to do anything.
4) Regardless of Care Refresh. If you treat them with respect, and bring convincing evidence that your crash or flyaway was due to a defect in their product, they may help you, but they are not obligated to.

I have read several postings where DJI has helped people who were outside of the terms of the warranty and care refresh. I applaud them for this, but they cannot be expected to replace all of our drones when we lose them or crash them.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
Hi everyone,

Just a question, and I could be 100% wrong here as I am fairly new to the Mavic, but isn't RTH altitude referenced to the altitude which the drone took off from? The OP mentioned that he took off from the top of a building that was ~70m high. Therefore his RTH altitude would have been 70m + 30m which would be 100m for his RTH altitude. If the drone hit a building it would have hit it at 100m altitude.

What was the height difference between his launch building and the surrounding buildings. Might need to look at it in 3d on Google Earth.

My understanding is:

1) With Care Refresh. DJI will replace your drone even if the crash was totally your fault, as long as you have the broken drone.
2) With Care Refresh. If you lost the drone, DJI has no obligation to do anything.
3) Without Care Refresh, DJI has no obligation to do anything.
4) Regardless of Care Refresh. If you treat them with respect, and bring convincing evidence that your crash or flyaway was due to a defect in their product, they may help you, but they are not obligated to.

I have read several postings where DJI has helped people who were outside of the terms of the warranty and care refresh. I applaud them for this, but they cannot be expected to replace all of our drones when we lose them or crash them.

Yep....you catch more flies with honey....

I clipped the top of some trees at a local park and it was a total loss. Exercised refresh and the new bird has less problems. Even detects trees now when it looks down. It wasn’t doing that before.

I don’t care what you do. How you go about your life is your business (unless you want to do business with me). As for how I live my life, I’m not perfect. Honesty is something I strive for, though, and it has served me well through almost 3 decades of marriage and work life.

It was pretty dumb of DJI to offer you care refresh after you refused to send them the flight logs. Everyone else can now understand, though, why they make the demands they do to provide warranty replacements.

Not dumb. A happy customer buys the next drone from them. They mass produce these things and the mark up is huge.

Example I calibrate my compass every time I turn on my Mavic. Adjust your RTH height accordingly.

The above points are by no means exhaustive.

I would strongly advise against calibrating your compass every time you fly your Mavic. Get a good calibration and leave it alone until you travel a significant distance from the calibration point (hundreds of miles) or there is a significant change in your magnetic environment. Calibrating your compass, every time, is more likely to cause a problem than prevent it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eastoncrafter