DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi all! My Mavic Pro had a fly-away and DJI is giving me Bull.

kelf

Reactions
My Mavic flew-away after a loss of signal with the controller, I wrote up a complaint to DJI and the below is what they are giving me. Need your help, DJI is crap at after-sale. Tech support is lazy and irresponsible.

Anyone had a fly-away and successfully got a replacement drone?

" Thanks for your patience.
For your claimed case CAS-1Xx94XX-XXXXXX, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
1.The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s control well;
2.Pilot controlled aircraft flew to the back of the building, the flight record ended at t=05:55, h=35 m, d=273 m.
According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.
And may i ask if you have found the aircraft already? Thanks a lot.
Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know. Have a nice day!
Best Regards,
April
DJI Tech Support "

Last edited:
My Mavic flew-away after a loss of signal with the controller, I wrote up a complaint to DJI and the below is what they are giving me. Need your help, DJI is crap at after-sale. Tech support is lazy and irresponsible.

For your claimed case CAS-1129468-M0R4B5, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
1.The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode, and responded to the pilot’s control well;
Pilot controlled aircraft flew to the back of the building, the flight record ended at t=05:55, h=35 m, d=273 m.
According to the analysis, the incident was not caused by any product malfunction factors. As such, we could not provide warranty service.
Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know. Have a nice day!
Best Regards,
April
DJI Tech Support "

I mean, what is the use of a Failsafe RTH if a building blocking the signal could mean the end of your MAVIC. I am very much disappointed. It flew slightly out-of-sight, and RTH, if activated, would rectify that instantly.

Reactions: Birds_I

For your claimed case CAS-1129468-M0R4B5, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
2.Pilot controlled aircraft flew to the back of the building, the flight record ended at t=05:55, h=35 m, d=273 m.
Best Regards,
April
DJI Tech Support "

With out more data it’s hard to say what happened, at this point it’s you word that it flew away and they are saying is was in control until it went behind a building, that’s not bad Service that are stating that they don’t believe it was their fault.

If it tried to RTH and a building got in the way it either crashed or OA kicked in and it probably hovered there till low battery and landed, have you looked around that building ?

It’s not the craft fault or DJI that there was a building in the way, it’s the pilots responsibility to ensure a safe path back to the home point.

Can you provide any logs so the fine people here can take a look?

Basically with out the aircraft logs trying to prove DJI is at fault is very difficult, unless you have a craft in your hand they don’t usually cover losses unless it’s 100% clear failure.

Not being funny but just because you said it flew away does not mean it did, their are a 100 different possibility to explain what may have happened.

We need more data.

With out more data it’s hard to say what happened, at this point it’s you word that it flew away and they are saying is was in control until it went behind a building, that’s not bad Service that are stating that they don’t believe it was their fault.

Can you provide any logs so the fine people here can take a look?

Basically with out the aircraft logs trying to prove DJI is at fault is very difficult, unless you have a craft in your hand they don’t usually cover losses unless it’s 100% clear failure.

Not being funny but just because you said it flew away does not mean it did, there are a 100 different possibility to explain what may have happened.

We need more data.

Okay, thank you for your reply mate. Basically, the aircraft is still unfound, but the battery was found, bloated, near the last seen location. (with 3 solid lights and 1 blinking light).

please also try to analyse the attached flight record exported from DJI go4.

Anyway, as soon as the aircraft loses connection with the controller, RTH should kick in and bring the aircraft back towards HOME. right?

Attachments

• ExportCSV_2017-10-18_[20-58-24].csv.zip
    16.3 KB · Views: 121
Anyway, as soon as the aircraft loses connection with the controller, RTH should kick in and bring the aircraft back towards HOME. right?
Yup and it's most likely what it did, but like many newbies you probably forgot to set the RTH height correctly for the environment, which obviously isn't DJI's fault.

Post either the original log file or link to analysis page if you want more insight.

This is an odd case. You found the battery but not the Mavic:confused:

I looked at the CSV file and it's not in a proper format. I did look at it in Excel and all it has is the coordinates and the battery levels. I don't think you need coordinates if you found the battery.

DJI Will not replace the Mavic under warranty unless something really strange happens. As Kilrah stated this seems to be an RTH height problem. Even if you had DJI refresh they would not replace it unless you had the broken Mavic to send back to them.

Sorry dude but it seems like your best option is to keep searching where you found that battery pack. It cannot be more than 30 ft away from that spot.

Rob

is this where you were flying ?

5o3ae3s.png

That log shows very little data, if that is the location thats massively congested with some MASIVE buildings around, I can't see where your home point was, can you give us that location, but id bet you hit a building on RTH, was always going to happen in a location like that.

Reactions: swoermck
The warranty doesn’t cover crashes. Only defects. That’s why they sell refresh.

The warranty should cover a crash if it was caused by the drone or RC malfunctioning. I'm sure I've read about people getting replacements.

Case here is hard to prove there was a malfunction :(

5o3ae3s.png

That log shows very little data, if that is the location thats massively congested with some MASIVE buildings around, I can't see where your home point was, can you give us that location, but id bet you hit a building on RTH, was always going to happen in a location like that.

Mad congested.

Reactions: MAVA4

5o3ae3s.png

6df351f87fbe4c4436ca01a34343947b.jpg

I took off from a roof, which is some 70m high, then at the point of "missing" it was at 35m + takeoff altitude.

Homepoint was well recorded. Dont the forward sensors work during RTH? I switched those sensors options on, im pretty sure.

And finally at the point of "missing" it had good GPS and 78% battery.

Thank you all for your attention. :)

3b04abd40de4f6e6e3cdb4e2b21d5dd3.jpg

This is an odd case. You found the battery but not the Mavic:confused:

I looked at the CSV file and it's not in a proper format. I did look at it in Excel and all it has is the coordinates and the battery levels. I don't think you need coordinates if you found the battery.

DJI Will not replace the Mavic under warranty unless something really strange happens. As Kilrah stated this seems to be an RTH height problem. Even if you had DJI refresh they would not replace it unless you had the broken Mavic to send back to them.

Sorry dude but it seems like your best option is to keep searching where you found that battery pack. It cannot be more than 30 ft away from that spot.

Rob

Hey man, thanks for your help. One thing I dont get is, why would RTH crash my drone, even if the height was set a wee bit lower than that building, wouldnt the forward sensors take it to safety during RTH?

For your claimed case CAS-1Xx94XX-XXXXXX, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:
Best Regards,
April
DJI Tech Support "

Sorry to hear u lost your drone. But if it did crash into the back of a building due to RTH kicking in then there is no way you could look at this situation and think DJI is at fault.
Sorry to sound harsh but Its pilot error. Just learn from ur mistake and move on.

Hey man, thanks for your help. One thing I dont get is, why would RTH crash my drone, even if the height was set a wee bit lower than that building, wouldnt the forward sensors take it to safety during RTH?

It depends on what you have the settings for RTH set to do.
Yes it can go over an object if the forward sensing is turned on, but it is not all that reliable. Small branches, power lines etc may not be picked up and it will just crash into them.
Best advice is to observe the terrain and set the RTH to 100ft above the highest point you will be flying over.

ALSO it is important to remember that your settings will probably take it on a straight line path back to you. So if your going through a valley and your RTH height is not high enough to go over the hills on either side you may end up crashing into them on the RTH return.

Rob

It depends on what you have the settings for RTH set to do.
Yes it can go over an object if the forward sensing is turned on, but it is not all that reliable. Small branches, power lines etc may not be picked up and it will just crash into them.
Best advice is to observe the terrain and set the RTH to 100ft above the highest point you will be flying over.

ALSO it is important to remember that your settings will probably take it on a straight line path back to you. So if your going through a valley and your RTH height is not high enough to go over the hills on either side you may end up crashing into them on the RTH return.

Rob

Thank you so much for your detailed reply... glad to have support from this nice place. I am also puzzled by the bloated battery i retrieve, can this bloating battery pushed itself out of the aircraft leading to a crash?

Sorry to hear of your missing MP, but IMHO, anyone who flies in that sort of environment is simply asking for trouble. Tall buildings can cause some powerful wind vortex and you have the potential of reflected radio signals and probably a lot of other radio and wifi signals all over the place.
Hope you find it. It should be VERY close to the battery. They don't get far without one, unless someone found it and took it home.

Care Refresh is useless without a drone to send back unfortunately :(
Not *always* the case, but in general this is correct. I have heard of people getting a replacement via Refresh if the Mavic is lost but the flight data shows an error. Again, the exception, not the rule.

OP: So sorry -- My guess is the battery pooped out when it crashed and someone has your Mavic. In the future, you may want to looks at a remote mod to pump that signal up some. The Mavic's signal penetration in quite good, but if I was flying in your environment a lot I'd get the mod. Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki