DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi everyone! Bridgewater, Nova Scotia checking in..

ultracat

Reactions
New basic certified pilot with a few hours flight time on my new Mavic 2 Pro. Been practicing flying in wide-open rural areas around Lunenburg County. Steep learning curve but I'm trying new maneuvers and settings each time I go out and am already starting to feel more confident with my operational abilities. Been absorbing a huge amount of online information about drone regulations, operations, photography and videography, and commercial industry these past few weeks.

I feel like I've been drawn into orbit around Don Joyce's comprehensive framework of media--educational programs, operational tools, and his regular updates on the current state of drone governance in this country. He's certainly a great asset to, and fierce advocate of, the Canadian drone community and I think I can speak for many Canadians when I say that I appreciate his indispensable support very much.

Had I realized just how complex the whole process of getting involved in drone flying was going to be from the onset, honestly, I probably never would have gotten involved. The extent of learning, regulatory red tape, and expense on equipment just to get off the ground safely and legally with a small RPA is extraordinary and prohibitive.

That having been said, I'm glad I did make the effort and investment. I feel like the whole undertaking has made the experience that much more rewarding. And, of course, it's an exhilarating feeling to get your own unique high-quality photo and video footage from an aerial perspective in locations rarely or never-before recorded from above.

Once the COVID travel restrictions are lifted, I am very much looking forward to exploring many other special places around the province from these brand-new lofty vantagepoints, and will enjoy sharing those images with the world. Right now I am just flying for practice and fun. I do intend to earn my Advanced certification as well, however, and we'll see where things go from there.

I am very interested in networking with other drone (recreational and commercial) pilots around Nova Scotia for correspondence and possible future meet-ups and/or collaborations. If anyone is interested in hiring me to get footage or conduct other types of drone services, feel free to contact me to discuss your needs. I'm sure we can work something out that will be mutually beneficial for all parties.

If you've bothered to read everything above, I applaud your stamina, LOL. Looking forward to further engagement with this forum. Thanks and bye for now :)

It was much easier to get into the hobby 4 years ago when I bought my MP. I was ahead of the curve by taking professional training back then. I did get my RPAS basic in June 2019 and completed a recency to keep it current, but rarely fly the MP anymore. The MM is more fun to me if only because it draws less attention.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your M2P :)

Greetings! Like many things, piloting a drone may seem complicated at first. Find a large open area and practice. The practice some more!

It was much easier to get into the hobby 4 years ago when I bought my MP. I was ahead of the curve by taking professional training back then. I did get my RPAS basic in June 2019 and completed a recency to keep it current, but rarely fly the MP anymore. The MM is more fun to me if only because it draws less attention.

Welcome to the club and enjoy your M2P :)
Hi JamieK, thanks for reaching out :) Yeah, regarding your comment about attention-drawing, I've made a point of flying in places of no or low bystander probability. Haven't had any negative interactions yet (that you hear so much about), but intend to act accommodating, courteous, and professional with whomever I may eventually encounter. In fact, on the two occasions I ended up flying in the presence of others, one group just thought it was cool, the other group were fairly indifferent about it. The idea of flying in busier, public places remains an intimidating concept--I feel confident that I can maintain safety, its the human reactions to the presence of the drone that I'm concerned about. How often do you fly? Do you do it just recreationally or also commercially?

Reactions: Thomas B
Greetings! Like many things, piloting a drone may seem complicated at first. Find a large open area and practice. The practice some more!
Good advice gfieldsr. I've tried to select more open areas of higher elevation, away from power lines, buildings, and people. Just starting to get familiar with the controls, my smoothness improves a little with every flight. Getting better at using the various flight modes, and more mindful of camera status after getting home to realize with disappointment that I had failed to capture some of my better views and maneuvers because I'd neglected to confirm I was recording. Do'h!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada