DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi guys.. Phantom or mavic?

If you also enjoy photograph, its the way to go using the Hasselblad camera. 2x zoom was not enough to offset the Hasselblad decision. Aircraft airframes are the same so performance is pretty much equal.

For what it's worth- I just returned from 10 day photo tour (workshop) of Iceland and am now post-processing my DNG (stills). I am distressed that all of the images are grainy and noisy despite the fact that most of the time I set the ISO at 100. The videos, not so much. Beginning to have buyer's remorse that maybe I should be shooting Hasselblad lens on Mavic Pro 2??? View attachment 76880View attachment 76880View attachment 76880View attachment 76881View attachment 76880View attachment 76881View attachment 76882View attachment 76883View attachment 76884View attachment 76880View attachment 76881View attachment 76882View attachment 76883View attachment 76884
You still got some great shots. Its impressive what they can get out of camera on the zoom. There are a lot of opinions which is best but I don't think you can go bad either way. Lower light with Hasselblad or able to get those time exposure shots.

Here's what surprises me, Use to do photography years ago for a hobby. Taking time exposure photos required a tripod and don't you dare touch it while the shutter is open. Here is an airborne, trying to steady itself in the breeze, 4 motors spinning plastic propellers at a high RPM and the gimbal provides fantastic vibration isolation to get some really great time exposure pictures.

I owned a Phantom 3 Pro for three years and then finally bought a Mavic 2 Zoom. I tried REALLY hard to get used to lugging around the big case for the P3P and six spare batteries and not complain about it ---- but in the end, I found out I love the small size and portability of the Mavic a lot more than I thought I would.

Get the Mavic 2 and I doubt you will have any regrets.

Last edited:
For what it's worth- I just returned from 10 day photo tour (workshop) of Iceland and am now post-processing my DNG (stills). I am distressed that all of the images are grainy and noisy despite the fact that most of the time I set the ISO at 100. The videos, not so much. Beginning to have buyer's remorse that maybe I should be shooting Hasselblad lens on Mavic Pro 2??? View attachment 76880View attachment 76880View attachment 76880View attachment 76881View attachment 76880View attachment 76881View attachment 76882View attachment 76883View attachment 76884View attachment 76880View attachment 76881View attachment 76882View attachment 76883View attachment 76884

It to bad the sun was not out fo you as the skies are showing poor lighting conditions which does not warrant iso 100 and I think that is where these pictures went wrong, Nothing wrong with the camera , just needed some more light for your settings.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain !
Coal

Like you I am in Spain circa Alicante. I fly fixed wing, helicopters (not very well) and drones. I’ve had the original hexacopter from DJI, Phantom 3 and 4 plus a pocket drone.

I have a Mavic Air now and have owned it since April 2018. It is, as far as I am concerned, the most practical one I have owned. Small, easy to carry round, quick to set up and dismantle,. Reasonable flying time 12-15 mins depending on wind and how hot it is, excellent video / photos, though in Spain ND and UV filters are a must. The follow modes and static subject modes are excellent. Most of all dead simple to use at a basic level but can also do some pretty advanced photography.

Highly recommended in practical terms.

Purchased the Mavic Pro flymore kit. I use the supplied carrying case. I numbered my batteries with dots so i rotate my batteries. Netting on side pouches are for the 2 extra batteries. Nice to be able to see state of charge thru netting.
So easy to transport the drone!

Keep us posted on your decision.

Yes, fly the cheap thing until you destroy it.

I got a Mavic 2 Pro a couple of months ago and have not used my Phantom 3 Pro since then. The M2P is a much better craft *and* has a much better camera.

The P4P has a better camera than the old P3P, but you're still flying an older design craft. It's worth it for some, but I am totally digging the 4/6 direction obstacle avoidance of the M2 and hope to never crash again because of it. And better battery life.

Dale D: I don't know what you flew in Iceland (great shots btw, even if they're noisy).The M2P is a better camera than most of the previous DJI crafts, but there's the one P4 that supposedly has the same sensor (and may be a better camera overall). If you do video (and you don't mind doing the extra post-processing work), the h.265 dlog on the M2P is a big deal.

Chris

I recently switched from Phantom 4 to Mavic Pro.
I really like the portability. If it's for speed, the Phantom 4 outruns the Mavic Pro easily.
The MP also has some nice extra video-features the Phantom 4 (I had the first released version), so that's a nice extra.

The portability really is great, nowadays I take the drone with me a lot opposed to the P4 which I only took with me if I got a flight planned.
So nowadays whenever I come on a site which is nice to fly, I can do this because I have my drone with me!

It's the same as in photography: "the best drone is the one you have with you!"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FNG_