DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi, hello from Singapore

Welcome from New Mexico. This forum is a great place to learn and share with some good folks. I visited Singapore in 1971 while in the Navy. I enjoyed it very much, especially the Singapore Slings sitting on the porch of the Raffles hotel. I have a nephew and his family that live there, and it has changed in so many ways.
Hi Dan! I was actually in the Long Bar at the Raffles Hotel two months ago having the Singapore Sling. Some place should not change and this is definitely one of them. Other than this, I think Singapore does very good job to keep transforming to a beautiful modern city keeping its heritage at the same time well preserved.

Reactions: GFields
[..]

The Gimbal is the most delicate item on the Drone and banging or bumping can damage it. I also fastened a short "Remove Before Flight" ribbon to the cover so it's more noticeable and I do not forget to remove it…

Turn on the drone and watch it come to "life." Watching the Gimbal go through its self-check is almost like watching a kitten or puppy opening its eyes for the first time…
[..]
Hi LT and thank you for your comments.
Actually the Gimbal, or to be precise, its cover, is one of the very few things I don't like in the mini. I realize how delicate the gimbal is so I am still rather uncomfortable with the force I have to use to attache or remove the cover. Seems like it could be designed somehow better or perhaps I still don't know how to handle it properly...
I would also advise you to use YouTube and watch a lot of the Videos on flying and setting up the Drone. When it is too dark, too cold, or too wet, you can "fly it vicariously" through YouTube. Also watch some of the Blooper Drone Videos and learn how not to fly your "New Baby."
I mostly rely on YT videos. There are some I watch repeatedly before I go out.

Marcin

Reactions: GFields
I mostly rely on YT videos. There are some I watch repeatedly before I go out.
I absolutely agree about the Gimbal Cover, It's a pain to reinstall, hard enough to remove, but a real pain to put back on. But like I said, the Gimbal is the most delicate part of your drone and you do not want to have to send your bird back because you were careless and grabbed the drone "just wrong" when you had problems pushing in or taking a battery out and your "squeeze" jammed the gimbal.

I'll be the first to admit I'm a bit obsessive about the delicacy of the Gimbal, but even when I'm changing batteries, I put the cover on.

The one practice I exercise is to make sure the gimbal is pointing straight ahead and level when I put the cover in place. I also have a 2-inch long RED Ribbon fastened to Gimbal Cover so I do not forget to remove the cover before turning the drone on or flying.

below is a very good video for the beginner. I've been flying for almost a year and I still practice. I like to fly it like an RC Airplane with the FPV active. I fly it in circles around me manually, with the camera facing me only 10-feet away, watching just the screen, I fly it facing away from me, keeping the tail always facing me. I Fly figure-8s with the drone always facing the same direction, with the drone facing in the direction of travel, and with the drone flying backwards, and so many more maneuvers…

I am in a local community college drone program leading to a Flight Technician Certificate and about half the class of 16 have DJI drones, Mini's, Mini 2s, Mini 3s, and a couple of Mavics Air 2Ss, and not a single one of them can fly their drones. The two instructors are having them practice the basic flight maneuvers over and over again. They are having issues of flying the four square patterns (drone facing same direction, facing the direction of travel, turn 90 degrees on each leg, and in reverse.), figure-8 area almost like watching "flyaways", I just hanging out flying my mini 2 because these maneuvers are so simple if you practice.

My first drone was a non-GPS drone (DJI Mini Look Alike…) and I had to fly it even when hovering as a breeze would cause it to drift away and in a wind you had to really fly hard to keep it in place or in the correct direction. It was a GoolRC 161 (Drone, controller, 3-batteries, spare props, charger, and hard case) all for $30 (Free Shipping) from eBay.

Any case, your baby is GPS and do not try flying it without Good GPS signal, but learn to fly it. Here is a good video on learning the basics.

Good Luck and treat your new baby right and use that cover…

Last edited:
Welcome from Medan Indonesia. I imagine that flying in Singas would be a bit tight. For me it's almost anything goes compared to others experiences. My initial advice is don't be in a hurry to get off the ground. Check things are all good first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S