DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hi...still struggling in getteing camera exposure correct ( over exposure mainly) will welcome any help

Hi, I'm still struggling and frustrated with camera settings mainly over exposure.....appreciate any help / hints. Have tried many different settings combinations including filters to no avail
Don't listen to anything written here other than this. You need to reboot the DJI Go4 App. Its as simple as that.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been said once, I'll say it again for you but ALL you need to know is included in you HISTORGRAM. It is a greyscale readout of what your camera is seeing and using it correctly saves you must heart ache. Look into it, read about it to understand it and all will be fixed/corrected and proper exposured

Reactions: brett8883
Learn to use your histogram. There is no better tool for setting exposure.
The histogram just shows what the metering is seeing.
But that's not going to solve the problem if the exposure compensation is set to over-ride the metering, (which is the most common cause of this issue).
Don't listen to anything written here other than this. You need to reboot the DJI Go4 App. Its as simple as that.
Simple as that might be, it's not going to fix exposure problems.

The histogram just shows what the metering is seeing.
But that's not going to solve the problem if the exposure compensation is set to over-ride the metering, (which is the most common cause of this issue).

So if I'm reading you correctly, the "exposure compensation" (which I believe is called "Exposure Value compensation") is POST-histogram???? If so, that's an odd way of doing it. I guess I never used the "compensator," as I know you don't get something for nothing. If the exposure compensation is push-processing the video, that comes at a price.

Interesting...

D

So if I'm reading you correctly, the "exposure compensation" (which I believe is called "Exposure Value compensation") is POST-histogram???? If so, that's an odd way of doing it. I guess I never used the "compensator," as I know you don't get something for nothing. If the exposure compensation is push-processing the video, that comes at a price.
Exposure compensation is a common feature in many cameras.
The photographer can use it as a quick and simple way to over-ride the metering and over or under expose the metered exposure by a set amount to suit various situations.
Many users don't know it exists or how to use it and it's a very common cause of complaints about consistent over or under exposure.

Exposure compensation is a common feature in many cameras.
The photographer can use it as a quick and simple way to over-ride the metering and over or under expose the metered exposure by a set amount to suit various situations.
Many users don't know it exists or how to use it and it's a very common cause of complaints about consistent over or under exposure.

Copy that. Of the six ways from Sunday that I could over or under expose a photo/video, seems like some hidden setting that basically negates your exposure tools is the worst possible way. Again, interesting...

There's a reason they call it an exposure TRIANGLE, and NOT an exposure SQUARE....<;^)

Thanx for the education. I'll be sure to watch out for that thing...hehe....

D

Of the six ways from Sunday that I could over or under expose a photo/video, seems like some hidden setting that basically negates your exposure tools is the worst possible way.
It's not hidden and it doesn't negate your exposure tools - it's an additional tool you can use together with the metering.
Here's a good explanation of how it can be used:

The problem is when users don't realise they have accidentally set it and all their images are coming out under- or overexposed.
Post #3 explains how to check that and fix it.

It's not hidden and it doesn't negate your exposure tools - it's an additional tool you can use together with the metering.

The problem is when users don't realise they have accidentally set it and all their images are coming out under- or overexposed.
The EV is just a light meter reading nothing more. Even when you use manual exposure it still shows you the EV because it again is just a light meter reading.

In auto-exposure mode the camera will automatically adjust the exposure to match a specified light meter reading (EV) typically 0. When the specified EV is set to something besides 0 it’s know as “exposure compensation.” The exposure compensation can be set correctly by consulting the histogram.

All roads lead back to the histogram.

Reactions: Donnie Frank

Thanx for the link. The first sentence explains it all; "You don’t have to shoot in Manual mode to take complete control over the exposure process."

And then this sentence brings it home, "We all want to be able to take complete control over the exposure process, but not all of us want to work in Manual mode."

This explains why "exposure compensation" didn't make any sense to me. I ALWAYS shoot in manual mode. I have one mirrorless point-n-shoot that I use in full auto, and that's it. Every other camera I own - whether ground or aerial - I shoot in Manual mode.

Thanx for the article. Interesting read.

D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom