DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

High Altitude Drone

taco7

Reactions
I'm looking for a drone that will work pretty high up, like 15,000 ft. up in the mountains.

I bought the DJI Mavic, but am really disappointed with the camera quality compared to my gopro hero 3.

Anyone know if there is a better drone I might like that is easy to pack up to high altitudes? Is the Karma's altitude limit of like 10k feet a soft limit, or has it failed at that specific height?

Thanks!

Forget the Karma, it's a POS. There's nothing with the bigger sensor that you seek that is portable, yet. There are a lot of rumours about a 1" sensor on the upcoming Mavic 2, but nobody knows for sure about a release date -- though some feel it will happen at the end of March.

Reactions: ballerhe75
how big of a difference do you think that would make?

I love everything else about the mavic, but the camera is no where near gopro's quality, especially with the focusing.

I love everything else about the mavic, but the camera is no where near gopro's quality, especially with the focusing.

Absent a very discerning, trained, eye (ie a professional videographer) I think it is really unusual for someone to complain about MP camera. Especially in comparison to P3. Maybe some bad settings or defective camera on MP?

I very humbly disagree. check out at 5:23

I've used the gopro for years. The thing I like about that camera is I have NEVER, in 3-4 years, had a shot come out unfocused. The dji seems to only focus on whatever is in the center of the picture and even then not so well.

my 2 cents...

You've used the Karma for years? That's interesting -- since it's only been out (and since discontinued) 15 months.

The problem you're describing is in the settings. You're not the first to have soft focus issues... I'm sure more people will chime in here to help you with that.

I also think the DJI phantom 4 image is awesome. I wish I could get that on a smaller setup!

If extreme portability is not a big deal for you, sounds like the MP2 would work well if rumors are true that a larger sensor is coming. I can't imagine it won't given there will have to be a good reason to spend more than the MA.

Anyone know if there is a better drone I might like that is easy to pack up to high altitudes?
How about:
Phantom's P4P max. service ceiling Above Sea Level: 19685 feet (6000 m)

what do you guys anticipate the new sensor will do? How will that effect the image quality?

I think the picture on the phantom 4 is awesome, but it's just too large of a device to carry while backpacking.

mavi%2Bpro%2Bvs%2Bphantom%2B4.jpg

I'm looking for a drone that will work pretty high up, like 15,000 ft. up in the mountains.

I saw a video on YouTube the other day where a guy flew his Phantom at Everest Base Camp, which IIRC is ~17,000 ft. If an original Phantom can do it then probably any newer DJI drone can too.

I saw a video on YouTube the other day where a guy flew his Phantom at Everest Base Camp, which IIRC is ~17,000 ft. If an original Phantom can do it then probably any newer DJI drone can too.
I saw that! that was awesome. I think he had to gut some parts for weight and also put different propellers on it.

If an original Phantom can do it then probably any newer DJI drone can too

Here the specs from DJI's official website:

Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level:

Spark: 13,123 feet (4,000 m)
Mavic Air: 5000 m
Mavic Pro: 16404 feet (5000 m)
Mavic Pro Platinum: 16404 feet (5000 m)
Matrice 200: 1.86 mi (3000 m)
Matrice 600 Pro: 2170R propellers: 2500 m; / 2195 propellers: 4500 m
Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced/SE: 19685 feet (6000 m)

Inspire 2: Max Takeoff Sea Level 1.55 mi (2500 m) / 3.1 mi (5000 m with specially-designed propeller)

This is neither here nor there, but I was freaked when my MP wouldn’t stay focused during Litchi waypoint missions. I found out I had to turn off auto recording to remedy that.
I then got footage I was about as happy as I am with my Phantom 4 after the remedy.

I would prefer that the MP had fixed focus, but I’m not finding any issues flying with autofocus. It is possible the next Mavic will have fixed focus.

what do you guys anticipate the new sensor will do? How will that effect the image quality?

I think the picture on the phantom 4 is awesome, but it's just too large of a device to carry while backpacking.

mavi%2Bpro%2Bvs%2Bphantom%2B4.jpg
I gotta say that there's no way that the Mavic photo from this photoset is properly set up. It would be as sharp as the Phantom photo, albeit without the dynamic range. The Mavic shows little detail in shadows, but the top side of that bridge would look pin-sharp. It appears to me that the Mavic shot here is a single frame taken from a 4K video, whereas the Phantom is a still photo.

In the video you uploaded comparing the Mavic with the Karma, the Mavic required a TTF (tap to focus), and then it would have been just as sharp. I'm not a huge fan of the MP's camera, but the comparisons you're showing are incorrect. You might want to look at the settings of Andy Mumford or Attilio Ruffo to get an idea of what looks great and how to get it.

Here the specs from DJI's official website:

Max Service Ceiling Above Sea Level:

Spark: 13,123 feet (4,000 m)
Mavic Air: 5000 m
Mavic Pro: 16404 feet (5000 m)
Mavic Pro Platinum: 16404 feet (5000 m)
Matrice 200: 1.86 mi (3000 m)
Matrice 600 Pro: 2170R propellers: 2500 m; / 2195 propellers: 4500 m
Phantom 4 Pro/Advanced/SE: 19685 feet (6000 m)

Inspire 2: Max Takeoff Sea Level 1.55 mi (2500 m) / 3.1 mi (5000 m with specially-designed propeller)

I'm doing some modeling in Peru right now with my MP; did a test flight at about 4200-4400m the other day. MP was having problems gaining altitude; I was only able to get about 100ft or so. Do you (or anybody else, if anyone is still watching this thread) have experience or advice about flying in the mountains? I'm hoping to do some work on a site just shy of 5000m,

Thoughts?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart