DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now
I've seen videos that don't use any transitions between scenes. Most look fine, but when I try it in my videos, it looks choppy. Maybe it's the choice of scenes that match well. Or I'm just too fussy about my stuff. I pretty much stick to the good old fade from one scene into the next with about 2 or 3 second duration. Kind of boring I suppose, but reliable for me.

Reactions: GDadd
I dont use transitions if the scenery doesnt really change. Say all the red rock and red sand footage to another red rock red sand scene. But then if it changes somewhat I might add a fade,
like going from red rock and red sand to rock covered in snow. A fade will help let people know something changing or before the timelapse.

Other transitions I use in home videos of my kids, pets, to try and add to the fun or something. Usually only with moving subjects.

I agree that your footage is beautiful and well taken, but the transitions are not the right match for the music and scenery.
I agree with davidzimagery about the good old fade. I like the cross fade the most.

Love the video! Thanks for sharing.
Do you find any difference in the colour of the Mavic 2 Zoom and Pro?
I feel that some scenes that you used the Pro, looked more vibrant. I could be wrong.

Hi all, first video post.

I headed to Utah in February to get some shots with the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. Having visited throughout the state several times, I was anxious to go while there was snow and few tourists.

Turns out it was fortunate timing in that some of the state parks restrict drones between March and October, but allow them from November through February with a $10/day permit, assuming the 107 rules are followed.

Drones are not allowed anywhere in Monument Valley, so the hyperlapse is the Zoom sitting on the railing of my hotel balcony - no motors involved. :)

I captured hours of video and scores of photos, and decided to put a montage together as it reminds me of special moments on the trip. Winter was so peaceful among such spectacular scenery, and I'm fairly sure it will now be a yearly pilgrimage.

Excellent Job!

Hi all, first video post.

I headed to Utah in February to get some shots with the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom. Having visited throughout the state several times, I was anxious to go while there was snow and few tourists.

Turns out it was fortunate timing in that some of the state parks restrict drones between March and October, but allow them from November through February with a $10/day permit, assuming the 107 rules are followed.

Drones are not allowed anywhere in Monument Valley, so the hyperlapse is the Zoom sitting on the railing of my hotel balcony - no motors involved. :)

I captured hours of video and scores of photos, and decided to put a montage together as it reminds me of special moments on the trip. Winter was so peaceful among such spectacular scenery, and I'm fairly sure it will now be a yearly pilgrimage.

Hi- wonderful video. Loved everything about it, including music, editing, and scenery choices. I m heading to Monument Valley, Deadhorse Point, Arches, and Sedona next April and unfortunately, not in the time slot allowed for drones with fee. What do you recommend as far as flying near or in those areas?????

That was a wonderful video and very well done. I wish the National Parks would have a similar rule, where drones would be allowed during the off peak season, whenever that might be for a particular park.

Great vid! Especially liked the clip near the beginning with the cloud shadows moving over the canyon walls.

Does anyone know about the drone rules around Sedona, the hiking trails, and canyons of red rock? What about Deadhorse Canyon and National Monument of Monument Valley?

Hi- wonderful video. Loved everything about it, including music, editing, and scenery choices. I m heading to Monument Valley, Deadhorse Point, Arches, and Sedona next April and unfortunately, not in the time slot allowed for drones with fee. What do you recommend as far as flying near or in those areas?????
Thank you, Dale D. After receiving feedback about the transitions in the video, I replaced them with simpler transitions. Some day I may get around to more color and contrast correction. Here is the newer version:

I didn't get to Sedona, so I have no input there, but regarding places between Moab and Monument Valley, I would recommend:

- Castle Valley (near Moab) - few people there and stunning scenery. Also, locations along the Colorado River (such as Big Bend) to Castle Valley are terrific as well

- Thelma & Louse Point, Gooseneck Overlook and vicinity - I'm fairly sure this is BLM land and not state park. I wasn't able to get there last visit, but it's mostly dirt road. From Moab you take RT279 along the Colorado River out to Intrepid Potash, then pickup 142, which is a dirt road. You are in the canyon throughout

- Monticello, near South Canyonlands - if you take 191 from Moab to 211, the road will take you into the south access of Canyonlands. Prior to the park, it's all BLM land, including the Six Shooter Peak area (the second hyperlapse in the video). I could have spent all day there and saw 3 cars in six hours. The skies shift depending on where you are, providing nice variety of looks

- Valley of the Gods - if you get back on 191 south, eventually you come to 163, which heads to Monument Valley. But first, you come to Valley of the Gods, about 35 miles north of Monument Valley. There's a small sign along side the road marking its entrance from 163. It's all dirt road, and especially if it has recently rained be sure you have an offroad or 4x4 vehicle. I spent nearly 8 hours there and saw one car the entire time. It was a perfect place to fly. Like all of the places mentioned, depending on the time of day you get new and different looks at the monuments.

- Mexican Hat Monument - continuing along 163, you can stop by Goosenecks, but it is open to drones only until March. However, nearby is the Mexican Hat monument. A photographer in Moab (Tom Till) gave me a great tip and suggested that when driving on the dirt road down to the Mexican Hat monument, continue past it down to the San Juan River. In my video, the rock pattern at 2:05 is at that location.

I have since noticed so many accessible and flyable locations along the San Juan river than I'm anxious to get back and seek them out. It seems endless to think of the opportunities between Moab and Monument Valley.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, Dale D. After receiving feedback about the transitions in the video, I replaced them with simpler transitions. Some day I may get around to more color and contrast correction. Here is the newer version:

I didn't get to Sedona, so I have no input there, but regarding places between Moab and Monument Valley, I would recommend:

- Castle Valley (near Moab) - few people there and stunning scenery. Also, locations along the Colorado River (such as Big Bend) to Castle Valley are terrific as well

- Thelma & Louse Point, Gooseneck Overlook and vicinity - I'm fairly sure this is BLM land and not state park. I wasn't able to get there last visit, but it's mostly dirt road. From Moab you take RT279 along the Colorado River out to Intrepid Potash, then pickup 142, which is a dirt road. You are in the canyon throughout

- Monticello, near South Canyonlands - if you take 191 from Moab to 211, the road will take you into the south access of Canyonlands. Prior to the park, it's all BLM land, including the Six Shooter Peak area (the second hyperlapse in the video). I could have spent all day there and saw 3 cars in six hours. The skies shift depending on where you are, providing nice variety of looks

- Valley of the Gods - if you get back on 191 south, eventually you come to 163, which heads to Monument Valley. But first, you come to Valley of the Gods, about 35 miles north of Monument Valley. There's a small sign along side the road marking its entrance from 163. It's all dirt road, and especially if it has recently rained be sure you have an offroad or 4x4 vehicle. I spent nearly 8 hours there and saw one car the entire time. It was a perfect place to fly. Like all of the places mentioned, depending on the time of day you get new and different looks at the monuments.

- Mexican Hat Monument - continuing along 163, you can stop by Goosenecks, but it is open to drones only until March. However, nearby is the Mexican Hat monument. A photographer in Moab (Tom Till) gave me a great tip and suggested that when driving on the dirt road down to the Mexican Hat monument, continue past it down to the San Juan River. In my video, the rock pattern at 2:05 is at that location.

I have since noticed so many accessible and flyable locations along the San Juan river than I'm anxious to get back and seek them out. It seems endless to think of the opportunities between Moab and Monument Valley.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this information! Yes- it helps tremendously. I have just printed out the maps for it and intend to do as much of it as possible. One more question. We will have a regular rental car (intermediate). Do I also need to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle for any of this?

Thank you so much for this information! Yes- it helps tremendously. I have just printed out the maps for it and intend to do as much of it as possible. One more question. We will have a regular rental car (intermediate). Do I also need to rent a 4 wheel drive vehicle for any of this?
It would depend on how the weather is and how far you want to explore. I rented a ford explorer with 4WD and it got me through mud, deep ruts, high clearance, sand, and snow without any problems. Going several miles down dirt roads where there is no cell coverage, I prefer to have a vehicle that will handle that terrain.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noobie