DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hit max altitude limit at 2 metres up!

DieselE

Reactions
Was tracking a car climbing a hill with me in the car too.
2020-07-11 19.10.56.jpg
Guess the car climbed 120 metres uphill and the M2P ground to a max altitude halt. It was in fact only about about 2m above current surface level! Clearly it logs altitude as zero only from take off point. Is there a way around this - like the max distance I too had to extend? I'm also concerned that the logs imply I was breaking regs when I broke none!

How does it then handle negative altitude - when we got to the top i flew it down the mountain. Does the altitude go negative? Didn't notice as still learning!

Thanks for any tips.

Clearly it logs altitude as zero only from take off point. Is there a way around this - like the max distance I too had to extend?
All heights are relative to the home point, positive and negative.
Your drone has a user-configurable Max Altitude Limit and yours must have still been on the default of 120 metres.
Simply set that limit higher.
Max Distance .. set that further.
Or better still, every kilometre or so, reset the home point to the current location of the drone.
That also prevents the drone trying to go back where you launched when it thinks it's almost out of battery for the long RTH.
I'm also concerned that the logs imply I was breaking regs when I broke none!
It only indicates that you flew 120 metres higher than the launch point.
Since the world is not flat, that's not a problem.
How does it then handle negative altitude - when we got to the top i flew it down the mountain. Does the altitude go negative?
Yes

I ran into this awhile ago while trying to fly up the side of a cliff! Great question and even greater answers! Thanks to both of you!!!! I’ve been meaning to ask about this even though I kind of expected that was the case. It’s great to know and to learn!

Thanks Meta 4 - good to know you can set the altitude above 120m and it accepts it as it looks like it is then transgressing the UK regs - but of course it isn't in these cases.

Reactions: Squidinc
I have the exact same issue where I fly my MA2 in the Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia. I quite often climb up a long mountainside. Meta4 “nailed” the answer. What I do in preflight is set my altitude to maximum, despite Australia having a drone altitude limit of 120 metres (393.7 feet). The idea of updating the RTH point as you fly to compensate is an interesting idea. Personally I don’t have the “bottle” to try it though. [emoji23]

The idea of updating the RTH point as you fly to compensate is an interesting idea. Personally I don’t have the “bottle” to try it though.
Resetting the home point won't reset the zero altitude reference, which will remain at the level of the launch point.
It's only useful if flying from a moving car etc, to prevent the drone going back to the launch point when battery level is only just enough to make it back.

Reactions: Squidinc
Resetting the home point won't reset the zero altitude reference, which will remain at the level of the launch point.
It's only useful if flying from a moving car etc, to prevent the drone going back to the launch point when battery level is only just enough to make it back.
Thanks for clarifying.

Meta4, does this mean that one will have to land the drone and take off again to reset the 120m limit, as you are driving up a mountain, if you don't increase the max height altitude from the get go? I haven't tried this yet.

Meta4, does this mean that one will have to land the drone and take off again to reset the 120m limit, as you are driving up a mountain, if you don't increase the max height altitude from the get go? I haven't tried this yet.
You cannot reset the zero height reference in flight.
You can change the user-configurable Max Altitude Limit from the default setting of 400 ft at any time.
If you are carrying out a flight like this, that would be the obvious thing to do.

Reactions: Paulf10 and Carb63
You are also limited to 1500 meters AGL. I run into this limit going up a sheer sandstone cliffs in Utah... unfortunately more than a few times I was unable to get to the top of the wall which was a bummer.

You are also limited to 1500 meters AGL. I run into this limit going up a sheer sandstone cliffs in Utah... unfortunately more than a few times I was unable to get to the top of the wall which was a bummer.
That would be 500 metres or a bit over 1600 feet.

Man I love this forum!! So much great learning here. Thx Meta4. Great stuff.

Reactions: Paulf10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS