DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hivemapper: Bay area top 10 recommended locations review

zoomie

Reactions
I had a chance to visit a few of these places and thought I'd post some reviews. Perhaps some of you who are local may have a few words to say as well. First off, I'm not certain all of these places are technically legal. Either way, let's move on: Top 10 Places to Fly a Drone near San Francisco – The Official Hivemapper Blog

CANDLESTICK POINT RECREATION:
Wow, talk about thugs. I felt like I was in Grand Theft Auto Vice City. Thugs everywhere in the parking lot just chillin'. Broken glass in the parking lot. I was too scared to even stop. You definitely can't see your car from where you'd be flying. If you're with kids or w/o a gun, I wouldn't recommend going here even though I saw an old couple and their grandkid in a stroller. The entire area is super sketchy, particularly since Candlestick park is under construction. It's way out there away from most things, so I can't imagine cops make regular runs around the area. I wouldn't recommend this place at all, particularly with a $1,000 drone. Plan to FPV there with goggles? Forget it. You'll have someone approaching you from behind or even next to you and you'll have no clue until after you're mugged or worse...

HERON'S HEAD PARK:
Super tiny. It's also way out there and not too far from the sketchy parts of town. Went there today and random guy sleeping in his car. I did see a mother and her two kids at the picnic bench. No grass here though. Unless you're comfortable flying over water, this isn't really a good place to fly. Can be windy, depending on where in the park you're at. There is a restroom though. Single occupancy, so safer than a rest stop style one.

TREASURE ISLAND:
There's lots of construction going on there now. The grassy fields including rugby and baseball fields are off limits and operated by the people who own/lease the space. Supposed to get permission from them first. I wouldn't invade it since the SF Drone School operates there with permission. You don't want them getting kicked out b/c you decided to go against the rules. The recommended places there are over hard surfaces so a crash would probably mean the end of your quad/drone. There are two specific areas designated by the Drone School but it's often times taken over by the FPV crowd. I suppose we can fly drones overhead since we're at much higher altitudes, but we're not here to make enemies.

RINCON PARK:
Really? This place is tiny. On one side is a ton of vehicular traffic and the other side is all water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada