DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOLY CAMOLY!!! I can see clearly now!

I have an ARC V on order, not sure where I'm going to mount it yet.. I'd like to mount it on the bottom somewhere so I can see it from below.

I think I wrote that wrong. I thought the orange skin was really visible. Mine looks like a rust bucket and doesn't add to the visibility. I just thought it looked cool. My strobe on the other hand, now that's visible. I do need to get some photos of my drone in the air, though.
There is a reason why they use fluorescent orange and chartreuse for highway cones and hi-vis vests.

Reactions: A.O.
Being the nerd I am, I'd like to find a Star Trek Enterprise skin for my MA2. Maybe tweak it for visibility, add FAA numbers etc. Guess I'm going to have to design it myself.

Being the nerd I am, I'd like to find a Star Trek Enterprise skin for my MA2. Maybe tweak it for visibility, add FAA numbers etc. Guess I'm going to have to design it myself.
If you look around I believe at least one company allows you to submit your own JPEG and they will make a custom skin print. Make Custom Skins + Wraps | DecalGirl

Yes, Contact Decalgirl about it.

Decal girl will send you a .psd template if you have access to photoshop. I did that to design my M2Z skin and I also have the file for P4 whenever I get time to design a skin for that lol

Its my understanding that red is the first colour you loose sight of with distance.
I find light colors are best broken up with black stripes or checks. Dont think any single color is going to be extra visible at long range. Plenty look good at close to medium range though
Something small like mavic is probably only really going to be visible at range with help of LEDs.
I'll back up your understanding about red. I've got a darker red skin with design on it that looks really nice, went on well, and has held up well. At more than a 100 yards, if I take my eye off it for a couple of seconds, it vanishes! So I'm actively looking for my next skin color, which is how I ended up on this thread. I've about got it down to a green, orange, or yellow in the most dayglo version possible, but still reading.

I'd prefer a very light blue skin so people can't see my drone. I don't need people spotting my craft, then looking for the pilot to interrupt my flight, because they "think" it's illegal to fly where I'm at. Flying stealth is in my best interest. To each their own.

I'll back up your understanding about red. I've got a darker red skin with design on it that looks really nice, went on well, and has held up well. At more than a 100 yards, if I take my eye off it for a couple of seconds, it vanishes! So I'm actively looking for my next skin color, which is how I ended up on this thread. I've about got it down to a green, orange, or yellow in the most dayglo version possible, but still reading.
My M2Z is red/dark grey. I don’t seem to have this issue. I created an ortho of a modular fabrication yard and at the furthest point of ~1600’ I could still see the drone. In all fairness it was difficult to find again if I took my eye off it, but I was able to.

My mini 2 is fluorescent orange and, I know it’s half the size, but I lose sight of it after ~400’.

My M2Z is red/dark grey. I don’t seem to have this issue. I created an ortho of a modular fabrication yard and at the furthest point of ~1600’ I could still see the drone. In all fairness it was difficult to find again if I took my eye off it, but I was able to.

My mini 2 is fluorescent orange and, I know it’s half the size, but I lose sight of it after ~400’.
I would be delighted with 400' for my MA2!! I'm starting to think a strobe is my best bet.

I would be delighted with 400' for my MA2!! I'm starting to think a strobe is my best bet.
I did a strobe along with my orange skin, in broad daylight I thought the strobe was a waste. In dimmer evening light it does pretty well.

All u people with orange drones, huh? Im studying for a 107 license I cant say If I have trouble seeing my drone cause they might be able to snatch your license away

All u people with orange drones, huh? Im studying for a 107 license I cant say If I have trouble seeing my drone cause they might be able to snatch your license away
Orange you say??

Attachments

• 100_0047.JPG
    100_0047.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Hidden
So I got a MA2 a couple weeks ago for my 65th birthday, love it but my vision is not as good as it used to be and I have a hard time seeing it sometimes. The other day I had it hovering about 30 feet in the air and about 50 feet away, I was messing with the phone screen and when I looked back up I could hardly see it against the trees in the background! Yikes. So I decided to give it an orange skin from Decalgirl skins.
Talk about a difference!!!! 1000% + Flew it in front of those same trees and it was like looking at the sun! So I did a straight away test, bout 150 feet high and just started flying it in a straight line and watching my distance meter on the screen... I could see that orange easily all the way out to 795 feet!! Bringing it back closer and just flying it around at a couple hundred or so feet it was amazing how noticeable it was now. I am so glad I skinned this thing!!View attachment 118825

View attachment 118826
Glad you found a way! I wantone fir my a2 and a2s. Enjoy!

So I got a MA2 a couple weeks ago for my 65th birthday, love it but my vision is not as good as it used to be and I have a hard time seeing it sometimes. The other day I had it hovering about 30 feet in the air and about 50 feet away, I was messing with the phone screen and when I looked back up I could hardly see it against the trees in the background! Yikes. So I decided to give it an orange skin from Decalgirl skins.
Talk about a difference!!!! 1000% + Flew it in front of those same trees and it was like looking at the sun! So I did a straight away test, bout 150 feet high and just started flying it in a straight line and watching my distance meter on the screen... I could see that orange easily all the way out to 795 feet!! Bringing it back closer and just flying it around at a couple hundred or so feet it was amazing how noticeable it was now. I am so glad I skinned this thing!!View attachment 118825

View attachment 118826
Where did you get the lettering? And what size?

I ordered my drone skin two days ago from DecalGirl. It is coming today. This is the skin I got. I did not want solid orange.
djima2s-solarstorm.jpg

Reactions: A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura