DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Holy cow- that was scary

Hayabusa

Reactions
just picked it up from Shop-they replaced camera- (in other post)
I took it up to test out and it was a little cloudy and windy but had plenty gps. All was fine until I took up to about 300’ and was flying around when all of a sudden I got a calibrate compass signal and all of a sudden she just started to fly away. I was panicking too much to look and check anything. I finally got some control but was not locked on satellites. So I think it wasn’t flying away but being blown away. As soon as I would let sticks go it would drift in same direction quickly. I then brought it down and regained everything and landed that sucker.
I’m not exactly sure what happened but Is it possible that with all the clouds I lost all satellites and the reason that it drifted? As i said, I panicked and didn’t read any of the displays. Was concentrating on visual.
Not sure about compass!
On my old P3s- I could go right into the settings and always calibrate (needed or not) and I always did. Am I blind, but I don’t see that option. I tried before the flight but it said normal and I didn’t see an option for doing it anyways. (I know, read the manual)
I honestly thought my brand new Mavic plus the extra $400.00 in a new camera was just going to keep flying away. It got about 300’ away before I was able to get control. Scary!
Anyway to check a flight record to see if it gives me a better story and some insight of what went wrong or better said, what I did wrong?
Thanks
Mike

Reactions: joejaxvic123
You'll have to upload a flight log for anyone to help determine what went wrong. If you just had a repair done you should calibrate the compass as well as the IMU before flight.

just picked it up from Shop-they replaced camera- (in other post)
I took it up to test out and it was a little cloudy and windy but had plenty gps. All was fine until I took up to about 300’ and was flying around when all of a sudden I got a calibrate compass signal and all of a sudden she just started to fly away. I was panicking too much to look and check anything. I finally got some control but was not locked on satellites. So I think it wasn’t flying away but being blown away. As soon as I would let sticks go it would drift in same direction quickly. I then brought it down and regained everything and landed that sucker.
I’m not exactly sure what happened but Is it possible that with all the clouds I lost all satellites and the reason that it drifted? As i said, I panicked and didn’t read any of the displays. Was concentrating on visual.
Not sure about compass!
On my old P3s- I could go right into the settings and always calibrate (needed or not) and I always did. Am I blind, but I don’t see that option. I tried before the flight but it said normal and I didn’t see an option for doing it anyways. (I know, read the manual)
I honestly thought my brand new Mavic plus the extra $400.00 in a new camera was just going to keep flying away. It got about 300’ away before I was able to get control. Scary!
Anyway to check a flight record to see if it gives me a better story and some insight of what went wrong or better said, what I did wrong?
Thanks
Mike
If you go back and watch your log from the flight, you might be able to see if and when your GPS dropped and it went into ATTI mode. Probably you could get someone to look at your flight logs too to verify what happened. Hope it won’t be a reoccurring problem and keep you out of the skies. -CF

How do download flight logs? I’m am not a tech person.

I will look at calibrateing the Imu as well.

Mike

Somehow this reminds me a GPS loss that happened to me about half a year ago or so. Gladly, despite being out of VLOS at that moment, the video reception was good, flying back in ATTI, navigating by video, was a non-issue. Unlike in this case, though, i did NOT regain the GPS until the bird has been rebooted. I think i've got a textual GPS error message of some kind before it went ATTI, but all i've got on the logs is a GPS reception loss, no descriptive errors. This has never happened again, and i've never found out what went wrong

I have heared that in case of compass errors and falling into Atti mode you can do an emergency calibration by just rotating the Mavic several turns around its yaw axis. After landing you will need to do a full compass calibration. Never tried by myself as I never had that problem.

Reactions: frank candor
I have heared that in case of compass errors and falling into Atti mode you can do an emergency calibration by just rotating the Mavic several turns around its yaw axis. After landing you will need to do a full compass calibration. Never tried by myself as I never had that problem.

I’ve been thinking about it all night. I need to retrieve the flight log. I want to know what happened, how to react if it ever happens again and more importantly, how to prevent.

I calibrated the imu and compass.
I figured out how you have to go into the settings and sensors to calibrate these, unlike on the P3s, it was right there.

I’m still not confident until I see exactly what went wrong or what I did wrong.
I want to find a video tutorial on a how to fir the flight log.

Thank you
Mike

Do I need to download from both A/C and remote or just A/C?
The .DAT from the AC is best, but can sometimes be difficult to get. If you have trouble with this then the .DAT from the tablet can sometimes yield useful info. Look here
How to retrieve a V3 .DAT File from the AC and
How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

You can also retrieve the .txt from the tablet which may help some. To see how to do this look here
DJI Flight Log Viewer

The .DAT from the remote can't be used.

I found the file on the tab. At the point that it started drifting or “flying away”. On the logbor map it shows the ac just sitting. Then after a while, all of a sudden the ac shows up in the area where I then regained control.
I’m downloading the assistant now. Hopefully i or someone can shed some light on this so I don’t freak every time I fly.
Mike

Reactions: WizDrone
I tried with assistant 2. The tutorial said to go into main settings/ac/advanced/data files at bottom. But do not see data files anywhere.
I also logged into dji assistant 2 but do not see ac.
I hate tech stuff.lol

Reactions: Bogey
GPS is not affect by clouds what so ever. I've been flying with GPS since almost its inception with my aircraft both in the UK and the USA and in the UK 80% of flying was under clouds. We know in aviation that a GPS is not affected by cloud cover in the slightest, therefore the same holds true for any Drone with GPS. What can happen is that something affects the signal, something that might be in that area, such as other radio interference, or strong Microwave signals, something that you may not be aware of.

I recall a number of years ago when flying WNW out of Memphis TN I would fly through an area whereby my engine and flight instruments on the glass cockpit flight display would go crazy, yet the engine sounded fine and the aircraft would fly perfectly normal, then about a minute or two later all went back to normal. Who knows what was being beamed through the area at that point, but something extremely strong was and always affected my instruments every time I transitioned through that area.

If clouds bothered a GPS, every time it was cloudy your car GPS would not work, nor any Aircraft GPS. I have no idea what caused your problem but what ever it was, it was not and never will be cloud cover, so you can put that worry to rest. I'm looking forward to hearing what caused your problem, lets hope you find out soon.

I celebrated both IMU and compass. Just took her out for a quick test. Everything seemed fine.
Btw. The area I was flying in is at my home and flown the most time there.
Something went wrong. I’m still going to try and download log to see.
For now, my confidence is up a little bit again.
Mike

I celebrated both IMU and compass. Just took her out for a quick test. Everything seemed fine.
Btw. The area I was flying in is at my home and flown the most time there.
Something went wrong. I’m still going to try and download log to see.
For now, my confidence is up a little bit again.
Mike
Nice one Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada