DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home Inspector buying Pro 2 or Zoom

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I fly and take video and photos and give them to a friend, I'm breaking the rule of 107?
No - you are wrong. Money has nothing to do with it. There is nothing ambiguous about the law on this subject - even the title of 49 CFR 44809 sums it up, and is explicitly defined in 44809 (a)(1):

Sec. 44809. Exception for limited recreational operations of unmanned
aircraft
(a) In General.--Except as provided in subsection (e), and
notwithstanding chapter 447 of title 49, United States Code, a person
may operate a small unmanned aircraft without specific certification or
operating authority from the Federal Aviation Administration if the
operation adheres to all of the following limitations:
(1) The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

Wow they got you convinced. Watch Drone U Podcast. I suppose you will say you can't get a permit to fly in a National Park too?
Consider it this way. If you are taking pictures for anything other than to put in a photo album to show your grandchildren ten years down the road or you are using the information gained from flying your UAV to make any kind of official decision for anyone or anything other than your private use, you need a 107. That pretty much will set the tone for what you need a 107 for. As sar104 said, it is not determined based on compensation. As I stated earlier, I work in the Emergency Management profession. As you can imagine, the use of a UAV has become critical for those in public safety. However, if I am using my UAV for any part of my job, I must be 107 certified. If I am dealing with a flood situation and I’m wanting to fly to get a better common operating picture and to give myself better situational awareness, by law I am required to have my 107. Even though I’m not sharing those pictures for any official use or selling them for money. If I am using the information gained from them to help make any decision, I am required to be certified.

I'm sure it does. Zoom is same bird, just differant camera, and if I have a Drone business, I sure want the best camera I can get, especially for only 200 more dollars. That's all I am saying. I almost got the Zoom, but when I learned to shoot in HQ mode, not FOV mode, then crop or zoom, it changed my mind. Of course a 20 MG photo can be edited and. Zoomed just as much as the Zoom camera does, in post. Just Sayin. It was a hard decision for me too, but now that I have the M2P, it is the best Drone I have ever seen. I know a few guys that do inspections with DJI Inspire, but bought the M2P to use on a lot of jobs because it is so much better to get into tight places. A lot of Realtors and Inspections companies won't deal or hire you, unless you can take 20 megipixel or higher photos. It is all over the internet.
I use the Mavic 2 Zoom for roof inspections. Does a great job

Nope. I just know you can give anyone you know a video or photos as long as you don't receive money or anything in return. Watch Drone U Podcast. You will see. The law also say you can't fly in National Parks, but you can if you get a permit. There are ways around everything. I'm not saying if he is going to be in business that he doesn't have to have 107.
I guess you have run out of arguments.

Nope. I just know you can give anyone you know a video or photos as long as you don't receive money or anything in return. Watch Drone U Podcast. You will see. The law also say you can't fly in National Parks, but you can if you get a permit. There are ways around everything. I'm not saying if he is going to be in business that he doesn't have to have 107.

You can dissemble and deflect as much as you like, but it doesn't change the law. Perhaps you could point out what you find to be unclear about 49 CFR 44809 (a)(1)? I'll quote it again:

The aircraft is flown strictly for recreational purposes.

And no - the law does not say that you can't fly in National Parks. Even NPS policy doesn't say that - it says that you need authorization.

It's amazing how many people are fixated on the "zoom" factor, but loose focus on the better camera in the M2P. Simple stuff....
Tool boxes have many different tools to help do different tasks.
Some have props. The more tools you have, the more options you have available to you to meet those needs.

Drone footage helps realtors a lot. I think the better the camera, the better off you are.
There ya go! You just confirmed what everyone is pointing out, it helps realtors a lot. Therefore, it is helping them in their work and for that you need a Part 107 because helping a realtor has absolutely nothing to do with flying for a limited recreational purpose.

You did not state that it helps them (realtors) in their recreational fun flying time. My point entirely, was that it helps them in their job! And in that case they are not doing it for limited recreational fun, and that is why they will and do need a Part 107 to use/fly it in anyway associated with their work. Are you somehow not understanding that, because you just stated that drone footage helps a realtor a lot?

Wow they got you convinced. Watch Drone U Podcast. I suppose you will say you can't get a permit to fly in a National Park too?
Not true, only if getting paid for commercial use, or any monetary reasons is when u have to have 107.you can take photos or videos of anything and as long as you aren't getting paid you are fine.
Even if you follow you’re own logic, a realtor or inspector taking pictures for use on a project, in the end is directly associated with being compensated for that project. Therefore, they are being paid for their work. The laws are not based around selling photography.

Reactions: Cymruflyer
Is a 107 required if it is incidental to your work? I’m in real estate and use a drone to have a more complete set of pics for marketing. I don’t sell the pics. Appreciate any response.
"A statement as you have made... Use a drone to have a more complete set of pics for Marketing" means you are attempting to furthering or improving your business and that in itself is for gain and that is far removed form "flown strictly for a recreational purpose". Therefore, a Part 107 is required to use your drone in that manner.

Reactions: Thomas B
So if I fly and take video and photos and give them to a friend, I'm breaking the rule of 107?
This discussion has been had on this forum several times as well. And the conclusion has been, if you go in to a scenario with the INTENTION of providing a service for someone else’s gain, (aka to the “friend”) then you are providing a service and require a 107.

Twist it how you want but these are not my rules or SARS rules. Those are the FAAs rules.

Reactions: Thomas B
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots