DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home Lock vs. Return to Home

Bob52

Reactions
Hi, "return to home" seems to be a more popular topic than "home lock" at least from my searching around the web for tutorials. I came across the Home Lock and do understand how it works but am still scratching my head as to the advantages of HL over RTH. For me RTH would be the choice since I have checked out the area I am going to fly in and have been able to set a safe RTH altitude. Others have said that you have control using the HL because RTH is hands off and HL is hands on. After looking at both of these I am not seeing the logic.

What am I missing here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Bob

Hi, "return to home" seems to be a more popular topic than "home lock" at least from my searching around the web for tutorials. I came across the Home Lock and do understand how it works but am still scratching my head as to the advantages of HL over RTH. For me RTH would be the choice since I have checked out the area I am going to fly in and have been able to set a safe RTH altitude. Others have said that you have control using the HL because RTH is hands off and HL is hands on. After looking at both of these I am not seeing the logic.

What am I missing here? Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Bob
My understanding is that Home Lock sets the MP so that regardless of the orientation, front of the Mavic, (mode 2) pulling back on the right stick will have the Mavic move backwards, if you have only flown straight ahead, then it would move back towards you, but if you were flying around, you cannot be sure that "straight backwards" would really get it to you, vs. computer controlled RTH based on GPS and Compass. I think that you really need VLOS to get back a Mavic on Home Lock. I use Home Lock to get sweeping video shots while keeping camera at target.

Actually, HL will ALWAYS bring the Mavic back towards the home point (launch point) when pulling the right stick back, no matter where the drone is, or its orientation. It does not fly backwards, perse, it flies in whichever direction is home ~even if that means that the craft is flying sideways at an odd angle. It was developed, along with Course Lock as options for cinematic shots. It just so happens that it comes in handy for getting the drone home as well.

Reactions: BD0G
Hi, thanks much for the input. I believe the one point concerning cinematic shots would be the logic here, as RTH is just what it is and it has the altitude preset. I don't know if the Alt preset can be changed prior to executing RTH, but I would guess it could be changed just in case you forgot to set it. To me at this time, and I am just starting out, RTH would be my default come home button.

if you have not already, read the online manual (several times).

Home Lock and RTH are two very different features. First a lesser note: RTH is when you lose your connection to the Mavic and Smart RTH is when you initiate the RTH even though you have a connection.

When RTH is started, the Mavic rises to your present altitude and flies back to the home point. It does this automatically. It will then hover and eventually land.

Home Lock is a flight mode that changes the direction the Mavic flies when using the sticks. Instead of the sticks being oriented to the Mavic itself, they are oriented to your direction when Home Lock is set.

What you are considering is that pulling the stick toward you means that the Maciv will fly toward the home point regardless of the direction it's facing. There are several differences. First, you need a connection to the Mavic using Home Lock. You don't on RTH. You then need to hold the stick toward you using Home Lock. The Mavic will not automatically rise up under Home Lock as it does under RTH. Lastly, you may be flying the Mavic to the Home Point backwards or sideways using Home Lock so the collision avoidance won't work. Under RTH the Mavic will fly back to the home point in a forward direction so collision avoidance will work.

These are two different modes. Again, if you have not read the online manual, I'd recommend reading it _several_ times. You mention above that you don't know if the RTH altitude can be changed. You need to set it for your flying area _before_ you fly! You _need_ to know that this can be set.

IMHO, RTH should only be used when you lose the connection to the Mavic. Otherwise I'd recommend that you manually fly it back to the home point. Some people don't share this view. It's up to you.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Great advice given about reading the manual.

Just realize that tcope's description of rth, which was very good, is only accurate if mavic is below the rth height and not near the home point.

... IMHO, RTH should only be used when you lose the connection to the Mavic. Otherwise I'd recommend that you manually fly it back to the home point. Some people don't share this view. It's up to you.
I completely agree with and share this point of view. Due to my limited (ie, never) use of RTH, I have learned how to fly the drone back to me and to manually navigate obstacles ~even when *something* has gone wrong. I have launched in thick wooded areas (ie, my house) where I have to rise up above the tree line to fly. When bringing it home manually, it's like threading a needle to get it back overhead, then bring it down through the trees. It's the kind of thing that improves your skills for *that day* when everything goes wrong.

Reactions: Clinton1
Thanks tcope. I will read the manual again. It seems in most of the videos that RTH is used as a common flight mode and not an emergency so to speak. My question about altitude was not whether it was set, rather if it could be changed after it was set initially. Thanks for your input. I can hardly wait to get out there and fly, but I will not until I got it all down pat.

Bogb

Reactions: Lapeer20m
Thanks tcope. I will read the manual again. It seems in most of the videos that RTH is used as a common flight mode and not an emergency so to speak. My question about altitude was not whether it was set, rather if it could be changed after it was set initially. Thanks for your input. I can hardly wait to get out there and fly, but I will not until I got it all down pat.

Bogb
Yes ~you can reset the RTH altitude while in flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan