DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Home weather station anyone?

umanbean

Reactions
Just looking for thoughts and recommendations.

I've long fancied a home weather station, well before I got into drones in '17... went 'shopping' recently (google) and found prices are down and features are up - wireless between outdoor sensor array and indoor display, with 330 ft range, tablet sized color display with all the relevant information in a neat, well laid out UI... has barometric pressure with trend arrow, heat index, dew points, feels-like temperature, and comprehensive historical data, etc etc.... even has local forecast. All that in a 100usd package.

Does anyone who has a home weather station have a brand recommendation, features to look for, or other thoughts? TIA

Check out this older thread in PP.

Reactions: umanbean and db4476
Well I open the door and look outside,,she's good flying today,suns up and no wind here
Duno what that dot on screen is though,planet ?,,,,UAV to check the winds
20220402_085258.jpg

Reactions: umanbean
I'll admit it... I'm a weather junkie as I have 3 weather stations on my property, 2 commercial units and one custom-built.

There are many models to choose from, and your choice really boils down to features and price.

Here are 2 that I currently own, each do the job well:

Ambient 2902c WX Solid unit, These go on sale quite often for less than the mfg price.

Davis WX Considered by some peeps to be the best system with a base station that provides more info than you would probably need.

For discussions on WX stations check out this forum:
Weather Stations forum

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Reactions: umanbean
I'll admit it... I'm a weather junkie as I have 3 weather stations on my property,
All we really have to do down here in Mississippi is listen to the weather warnings. It’s ether tornadoes, severe thunderstorms
or just hot. I’m bald on top of my head ,so I use it as a Doppler unit.
walk out,take off hat and can tell ya 😀

All we really have to do down here in Mississippi is listen to the weather warnings. It’s ether tornadoes, severe thunderstorms
or just hot. I’m bald on top of my head ,so I use it as a Doppler unit.
walk out,take off hat and can tell ya 😀
I can relate to the 'Doppler Unit' ;)

Check out this older thread in PP
Thanks man, I searched this site, didn't find anything, didn't think about looking at PP.
Crazy this topic comes up. I just set mine up minutes ago.
Funny how things work out that way sometimes ain't it? Hope you enjoy it, let us know how you like it.
I'll admit it... I'm a weather junkie
There's been plenty of weather to pay attention to down here in the Southeast corner this year... thanks for the links.

Funny how things work out that way sometimes ain't it? Hope you enjoy it, let us know how you like it.
I've been using it for years. I just set it up at our new spot back in California today after letting it sit for 2 years.

Reactions: umanbean and db4476
I've had a Wx station for several years. Here is the one I've been running for 3 years now and it does everything I want and with the additional sensors I can tell you the temp in every room and on each of the decks on my home.

with the additional sensors I can tell you the temp in every room and on each of the decks on my home.
Thanks Big Al, that's a feature I didn't think of at first, but is definitely going on my must-have list.

That Ambient WS-2902C you linked is the same model recommended by @db4476 in post #5, must be a good one, I'll put it at the top of my research list.

Reactions: BigAl07 and db4476
I've had the Ambient 2902 for about 5 years now. Not had one bit of trouble. You can receive text or email notifications of weather alerts you set. Responsive tech help

Curious - with the wireless" connected" option, does it require an account set up somewhere?
You need to create an account within the lacrasse app. Connect to the app with your phone and make sure the phone is connected to the wifi you want the station to be connected to and make sure it's a 2.4 ghz connection as it won't connect to 5 ghz connections. Scan the barcode on the base station within the app and it will ask for the password to the wifi. Then it (base unit) will connect. Once your devices are put out and turned on you can just scan for them within the app (or scan their barcodes directly on each device) and add them individually. Sounds a lot harder than it is. They have videos on youtube for it all.
It's not an expensive setup like the others are posting. It's more of an amature setup compared to those. Does the trick for me though.

Last edited:
Reactions: eEridani
Yo I am new. GreAT I used a month ago pos to help ressel mfg products. I liked it. Ambient is great!

First off WELCOME to the forum :)

Could you please be a bit more clear? Not so many abbreviations etc.

Yo I am new. GreAT I used a month ago pos to help ressel mfg products. I liked it. Ambient is great!
:D Hehehe great post!

I agree, the Ambient 2902c seems to be the best mid-priced option out there at the time. In one review I read online, the Ambient 5000 was the most recommended based on price versus features - and accuracy close to the Davis model they reviewed.

I had right eye surgery last Wednesday, still wearing a patch, left eye not doing well either... so having a hard time reading, especially on this tablet, and Impossible on a phone. Planning on reading some more reviews but I'm tempted to just go ahead and order the 2902c and some extra sensors.

Reactions: BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.