DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hope someone can help analyze my Mavic’s data.

enzo65

Reactions
Hi hope someone can help analyze my Mavic’s data.

I got my Mavic pro only one week ago. It is my first drone and I am not experienced in drone flying at all. Cause of bad weather the last days I have only been able to take it up a few times, only a few meters high and always close to me. I had no issues before.
Yesterday I have planet to take an evening picture of my house. First all was fine but when I had it at the right position I went from sports mode to tripod mode to prepare for my photo. At that moment the satellite connection changed to weak (red) and it dropped into ATTI mode. It turned around a couple of times and then starts to drift away. I didn’t felt I cut control it at all like if was in a strong wind. I did not feel I could do anything to stop it. I just stood there and saw my drone disappearing over the top on my neighbors' houses. The last data I got on my remote was from the point where I lost control. After a few minutes the remote lost all contact. I went to the map on my phone to see if I could see where it had crashed but the route ended where it went into ATTI. I started my car and drove in the direction where I had seen the drone disappear. After some time my remote connected again but still no satellite. From the camera I could see some plants but nothing significant. I drove and walk around in the area the next 2 hours. When I had almost given up (battery on the drone was down to 5%) I saw a red light in a field of barnacles. If it had not been dark, I had not seen it. I went in and found my drone. It looked as if it had just landed and nothing was destroyed. All led lights lit steady red on the drone.

I do not trust my Mavic no more. I do not want to fly again until I know what happened and have found a solution.

Hope that with more experience than me will be able to look at my data and tell what happened and possibly what I can do to prevent it from happening again

Do I need to send the Mavic for reparation? And does anyone know if DJI can fix this problem or will they just send it back to me again same as before.

I am very grateful for all the help I can get.

Link to my data Dropbox - Mavic Data

Hi hope someone can help analyze my Mavic’s data.

I got my Mavic pro only one week ago. It is my first drone and I am not experienced in drone flying at all. Cause of bad weather the last days I have only been able to take it up a few times, only a few meters high and always close to me. I had no issues before.
Yesterday I have planet to take an evening picture of my house. First all was fine but when I had it at the right position I went from sports mode to tripod mode to prepare for my photo. At that moment the satellite connection changed to weak (red) and it dropped into ATTI mode. It turned around a couple of times and then starts to drift away. I didn’t felt I cut control it at all like if was in a strong wind. I did not feel I could do anything to stop it. I just stood there and saw my drone disappearing over the top on my neighbors' houses. The last data I got on my remote was from the point where I lost control. After a few minutes the remote lost all contact. I went to the map on my phone to see if I could see where it had crashed but the route ended where it went into ATTI. I started my car and drove in the direction where I had seen the drone disappear. After some time my remote connected again but still no satellite. From the camera I could see some plants but nothing significant. I drove and walk around in the area the next 2 hours. When I had almost given up (battery on the drone was down to 5%) I saw a red light in a field of barnacles. If it had not been dark, I had not seen it. I went in and found my drone. It looked as if it had just landed and nothing was destroyed. All led lights lit steady red on the drone.

I do not trust my Mavic no more. I do not want to fly again until I know what happened and have found a solution.

Hope that with more experience than me will be able to look at my data and tell what happened and possibly what I can do to prevent it from happening again

Do I need to send the Mavic for reparation? And does anyone know if DJI can fix this problem or will they just send it back to me again same as before.

I am very grateful for all the help I can get.

Link to my data Dropbox - Mavic Data
You only provided a part of the flight data. I only have the first half of the flight data. Please upload the remaining data files with a similar timestamp on it.

Thanks for your help.
I uploaded only the first since it was there all the action happened.
The rest of the time it just lay on the ground.
I'm uploading the remaining now.

Once again, many thanks for spend time on this.

Unfortunately, my computer is being uncooperative right now. I can't load the CSVs correctly in my viewer. I can't see the data I want to look at.

I do see you GPS Health dropped to 1 quite unexpectedly. This already flags to me as a defect in the drone. I want to look at rudder information, but other than trying to read the huge file in Excel, I'm not having much luck pulling it up.

Taking a look now.

Your problems in locating the Mavic seems to be a perfect example of when a Marco Polo tracker can be invaluable.

Unfortunately, my computer is being uncooperative right now. I can't load the CSVs correctly in my viewer. I can't see the data I want to look at.

I do see you GPS Health dropped to 1 quite unexpectedly. This already flags to me as a defect in the drone. I want to look at rudder information, but other than trying to read the huge file in Excel, I'm not having much luck pulling it up.

Which DAT file are you looking at?

The drone appears to still have been responsive to control inputs. It was receiving data while it was still connecting and logged the changes in controller stick movements. For instance when you pulled your left stick down, the drone acted by altering the height. It's a little harder to gauge whether or not horizontal movement was happening as should, but as far as vertical movement goes, it was responsive. Your GPS Health dropped to 1. That should never happen during flight. So 2 things come to mind, either a drone jamming gun was being aimed at it, which is unlikely, or a there's a hardware defect in the GPS module. Alternatively, are you in a zone where the GPS reception is bad? With that in mind I guess you could have still brought the drone down before it drifted away. Since a GPS health of at least 4 is required for GPS flight, your system switched to Atti mode. When the controller connection got lost, which was in a surprisingly short distance, the system auto landed immediately. Are you in a strong interference area? I see you tried to start the drone up a couple times as you were searching for it, but the drone never actually took off. (I'm assuming those spikes in the log viewer is the CSC being used). All in all, this doesn't look like pilot error to me. The signal got lost fast, and the GPS health dropped. Either something is jamming the signal, or there is a defect on the onboard communication and positioning system. I would prefer the even more experienced pilots provide their analysis as well, as I'm not the most experienced when it comes to reading flight logs, and may have missed something.

Reactions: Mavicsailor
Had to leave the house, just got back. I had left the PC downloading 29. I will now Download 26

Thanks for all the time spend on this.

I live in the country with only a few houses around me. 8o km away from Copenhagen, Denmark, most around me is fields. There is absolutely nothing here that should affect my satellite reception. It is mostly peasants who live here and I doubt very much that anyone would have jammed my signal. I tried to start up the drone a few times in the hope that I could hear it or see it if I flew it a few meters up. It would not start and came with an error that saying that one of the engines was blocked.

This is certainly a strange one. You had 20-21 satellites throughout most of the flight. The GPS health Glitched for one second 93 seconds into the flight. Then half a second later it came back up and you went into tripod mode and that lasted about 16 seconds and the wham the GPS health just drops to One.

Still, this will take some time but so far Cyberpowers assessment is right.

Some have speculated, myself included, that the gpsHealth-drops-from-5-to-1 situation occurs because the FC sees something it doesn't expect. Take a look here
Maiden Flight -GPS issu

This flight is a good example of that happening. Prior to the gpsHealth-drops-from-5-to-1 there was a Toilet Bowl Event.
upload_2017-3-4_15-42-20.png
The TBE had a lot of pitching and rolling starting around 62 secs. Then the gpsHealth-drops-from-5-to-1 happened at 93 secs then again 110 secs when the switch to ATTI happened.
upload_2017-3-4_15-46-26.png

@ScrappyMavic

Budwalker I noticed the spiral on the map but I do not know how to coordinate the map position with the time. How do you do that?

Rob

Budwalker I noticed the spiral on the map but I do not know how to coordinate the map position with the time. How do you do that?

Rob
Start a SigPlayer along with the GeoPlayer. The Players are time synchronized. When you move the value tracker (i.e. mouse cursor) in the SigPlayer the value tracker in the GeoPlayer moves. And. vice versa. Makes it easy to associate events in the Players you have running. (BTW you can have more than one SigPlayer running). So to answer your question place the value tracker where you want in the GeoPlayer and read the time in the SigPlayer.

At some point You'll probably want to use the Pick vs Track feature in the main panel
upload_2017-3-4_16-3-58.png

Thanks Budwalker. The Pick works really well, now I have one of those missing pieces of the puzzle.:)

The drone appears to still have been responsive to control inputs. It was receiving data while it was still connecting and logged the changes in controller stick movements. For instance when you pulled your left stick down, the drone acted by altering the height. It's a little harder to gauge whether or not horizontal movement was happening as should, but as far as vertical movement goes, it was responsive. Your GPS Health dropped to 1. That should never happen during flight. So 2 things come to mind, either a drone jamming gun was being aimed at it, which is unlikely, or a there's a hardware defect in the GPS module. Alternatively, are you in a zone where the GPS reception is bad? With that in mind I guess you could have still brought the drone down before it drifted away. Since a GPS health of at least 4 is required for GPS flight, your system switched to Atti mode. When the controller connection got lost, which was in a surprisingly short distance, the system auto landed immediately. Are you in a strong interference area? I see you tried to start the drone up a couple times as you were searching for it, but the drone never actually took off. (I'm assuming those spikes in the log viewer is the CSC being used). All in all, this doesn't look like pilot error to me. The signal got lost fast, and the GPS health dropped. Either something is jamming the signal, or there is a defect on the onboard communication and positioning system. I would prefer the even more experienced pilots provide their analysis as well, as I'm not the most experienced when it comes to reading flight logs, and may have missed something.

I see you tried to start the drone up a couple times as you were searching for it, but the drone never actually took off.

Yes he made 3 attempts to restart the Mavic.
It's interesting that only the Right Back Prop could spin. It seems like the other three were caught in the Grass or bushes.

Anyway this seems like a clear case of something being wrong with the GPS module.

Rob

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78