DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizon tilt....me or the gimble?

Another horizon test...(added wind direction),
On my return I reinstalled the firmware (510) and did a test inside with my leaf blower.
And it seems to be the wind which is not taken into account as Done said.
I will do other tests with the older firmware version.

lines.jpg

Last edited:
Another factor to consider is if you take off from a slope as opposed to flat ground, the horizon often has an offset for that flight that needs to be nullified via the adjust gimbal roll menu.
It *should* adjust for wind assuming its a constant strength and direction.

I have exactly the same problem, set gimble to level and fly east, turn the drone around to face west and the horizon is no longer level. I sent it back to DJI last week under warranty I should hear on Monday what the diagnosis is. Hopefully I won’t be getting a bill from them.....but with DJI you can never be sure.

Another factor to consider is if you take off from a slope as opposed to flat ground, the horizon often has an offset for that flight that needs to be nullified via the adjust gimbal roll menu.
It *should* adjust for wind assuming its a constant strength and direction.
Exactly gnirtS, but the test I did inside with my leaf blower was clear. It is a problem of compensation in my case.

OP here. I tried mine again in the same scenario I first posted. Moving slowing left or right I still got a little tilt. Here’s what I found.... for the shot I was trying to get I had the camera angle down pretty far. I took some of that angle out and it worked much better. I think wind and speed(amount of stick movement) also factor in, but the the third factor for me is angle of the gimble.

OP here. I tried mine again in the same scenario I first posted. Moving slowing left or right I still got a little tilt. Here’s what I found.... for the shot I was trying to get I had the camera angle down pretty far. I took some of that angle out and it worked much better. I think wind and speed(amount of stick movement) also factor in, but the the third factor for me is angle of the gimble.
Got mine back today and it’s worse than it was. I’m returning it too the shop it came from as unfit for purpose

Got mine back today and it’s worse than it was. I’m returning it too the shop it came from as unfit for purpose

Here are a couple of screenshots, in obviously recalibrated every thing including the gimble. Even if I pan slowly soon as I pan 90
degrees the horizon is no longer level. As you can see from the photos it’s not just a little bit out.
This is my replacement drone that replaced the one that was doing exactly the same thing

Attachments

• 60FD7C02-AC6A-400A-9560-D6DA8B924D07.jpeg
    60FD7C02-AC6A-400A-9560-D6DA8B924D07.jpeg
    219.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 5CE70EE3-108D-4FC5-A30F-A84E2A59E0EE.jpeg
    5CE70EE3-108D-4FC5-A30F-A84E2A59E0EE.jpeg
    214.3 KB · Views: 16
it would be interesting to try with a previous firmware.
my drone didn't do this before, and I never crashed ??!

Last edited:
it would be interesting to try with a previous firmware.
my drone didn't do this before, and I never crashed ??!
I have messaged DJI and given them one more chance to repair before I demand a refund as the drone is not fit for purpose.

As suspected, I recieved a different drone (and smart controller). The manufacturing date on this one is January 2020 whereas the previous one was November 2019. Unfortunatly won't be able to tell if the repair that was stated was actually the problem. Getting batteries charged to take it out and see how it is.

As suspected, I recieved a different drone (and smart controller). The manufacturing date on this one is January 2020 whereas the previous one was November 2019. Unfortunatly won't be able to tell if the repair that was stated was actually the problem. Getting batteries charged to take it out and see how it is.
Mine apparently had a r/h gimble arm sensor fault, the drone they sent me was manufactured on 05/2020 but has the same issue as the one they replaced. I think this is a firmware issue not hardware

I've yet to see someone on any forum say that the problem was fixed by sending it in, I was hopeful. Then again people usually only go to forums when there is a problem so the viewpoint is skewed.

Well, after 2 batteries the gimbal seems to be perfectly level in all directions. Firmware was updated to latest on controller and drone first. If you are under warranty, and dont mind not having it for 3 weeks, cant hurt to send it in. Your milage may vary.

Well, after 2 batteries the gimbal seems to be perfectly level in all directions. Firmware was updated to latest on controller and drone first. If you are under warranty, and dont mind not having it for 3 weeks, cant hurt to send it in. Your milage may vary.
That is good to hear, I will send mine back for the second time and hope for the best.

I thought I had it figured out, but I’m still unlevel too. Even moving very slowly. Guess I’ll look into sending it in.

I noticed that my M2Z would do a slight gimbal tilt when there was a strong a consistent wind blowing on the sides

Well, today I tried two new things. One was the latest firmware update and the other was using waypoints for the same pattern I’d been hand flying and getting tilt. As is the case with real airplanes, I cannot outfly the autopilot. Zero tilt. Must’ve been user error/bad technique on my end. Hand flying, I had to circle at a snails pace to avoid the tilt. Using waypoints(autopilot) it ran at 10mph.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom