DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Horizontal vs vertical antennae in the drone, is there a difference in their theoretical capabilites?

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
Horizontal vs vertical antennae in the drone, is there a difference in their theoretical capabilites?
This question just popped into my mind.

Let's add to that by asking ..... With the, I think, 'flat', 'two dimensional' antennae ( antennae mounted on boards ) is there a difference in their reception/radiation capabilities with regards to 'looking' at the edge of the board or looking at the face of the board?
I've just answered my own question while thinking about post 3 ...... I think lol.

Last edited:
I've always used this as reference when people have asked:

That being said, in my area I do not have a lot of obstructions like some may have in larger cities. I haven't personally noticed a difference in any particular orientation.

Reactions: JonMu
Thanks, yes I understand the lobes thing especial with regards to when the drone is over head, a frequent problem with the Mavic Mini. But I was thinking more along the lines of the mini 3 pro, where I guess the antennae are horizontal in the legs, against the mini 3 where the antennae maybe vertical in the front 'undercarriage'.

Last edited:
Unfortunately no subtitles.
But basically it looks like he's saying with a vertical antenna there is better horizontal radiation and less vertical radiation. With a horizontal antenna the vertical radiation is better but the horizontal radiation is less.
The latter might well fit with the susceptability of the mini 3 pro to disconnection i.e. the drone radiates horizontally in a narrow field that might easily miss the controller..... all the more so if a 'flat'/planar antenna produces lobes rather than a torrus/doughnut.

@sar104 ???

Unfortunately no subtitles.
But basically it looks like he's saying with a vertical antenna there is better horizontal radiation and less vertical radiation. With a horizontal antenna the vertical radiation is better but the horizontal radiation is less.
The latter might well fit with the susceptability of the mini 3 pro to disconnection i.e. the drone radiates horizontally in a narrow field that might easily miss the controller..... all the more so if a 'flat'/planar antenna produces lobes rather than a torrus/doughnut.

@sar104 ???

"But basically it looks like he's saying with a vertical antenna there is better horizontal radiation and less vertical radiation. With a horizontal antenna the vertical radiation is better but the horizontal radiation is less."

I'm a long time ham radio operator who has computer modeled and built LOTS of antennas. He's absolutely right.

There is a huge caveat, though. RF from a horizontal antenna is usually going to be mostly horizontally polarized, and the opposite is true for a vertical antenna (i.e., vertically polarized RF). Polarization matters (a lot) for receiving as well as for transmitting, so you want to make sure that the controller and drone have the same polarization. A controller oriented with the antennas vertical will give a broader azimuth pattern, but if the drone's antennas are oriented horizontally the connection won't be very good. This is all really basic stuff, so the best plan is to assume the manufacturer knew what they were doing ... hold the controller like they expected you to do and do your best to keep it pointed at the drone, whether vertical or horizontal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne