DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HOT Battery

airbuspilot

Reactions
This afternoon I flew my MA2 for 10 minutes in 35-55 MPH winds.

The drone battery reached a peak 50.7°C (123°F) due to the sustained high power draw.

Is there a DJI Fly caution message that annunciates above a certain battery temperature?

Thanks!

The drone battery reached a peak 50.7°C (123°F) due to the sustained high power draw.

Is there a DJI Fly caution message that announciates above a certain battery temperature?
If there were such a message, I suspect you would have seen it because that is beyond the drone spec (104 degrees F).
I've seen battery temps above 100 (although not as high as 123), but just as important is how you handle that battery after flying: let it cool down (substantially) before charging again, and I tend to remove my battery from the drone (for same reason) when it is noticeably hot.

If there were such a message, I suspect you would have seen it because that is beyond the drone spec (104 degrees F).
I've seen battery temps above 100 (although not as high as 123), but just as important is how you handle that battery after flying: let it cool down (substantially) before charging again, and I tend to remove my battery from the drone (for same reason) when it is noticeably hot.
I learned something new - the maximum battery operating temperature of 104°F.

And yes, I agree with you regarding battery care. Postflight I removed the battery from the drone and let it cool 2 hours before recharging.

Last edited:
104 is not the max battery temp. That's the max OAT. I have hundreds of flights with battery temps above that according to Airdata.

104 is not the max battery temp. That's the max OAT. I have hundreds of flights with battery temps above that according to Airdata.
I think DJI should reword this section of the MA2 User Manual:

“... the battery cell temperature operating range is 41°F to 104°F.”

Because I enjoy using the MA2 to its fullest potential.

We have pushed are Air 2 into 30 Mph winds back to back and have never gotten a warning on the battery and that is with an Air 2 Wet Suit . Never had any issues with the battery .

Last flight in the heavy winds was this week.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2 in the Rain / Snow and Land on Water.

Airdata says my hottest battery flight was 141F (60.5C) with my MA2. I've used the battery several times since with no issue. I didn't receive any Temp warnings or anything else.

Back when I had my MM1 I would routinely see Low Voltage warnings when flying in hot humid weather in Sport mode, and also a few times flying below freezing. (Humidity makes the air less dense thereby requiring the drone to work harder, just like flying way up in the mountains).

I suspect that the Low Voltage warning would pop up before a Temp Warning with the MA2, though this is only conjecture.

I say fly keep flying, if it's an issue your batteries firmware will warn the app and you can get it warranty replaced.

Personally If I need to replace a battery out of pocket I just look at that as the cost of flying. I think these drones are built pretty well and they are usually crashed before something fails.

Best of luck out there, happy flying!

Airdata says my hottest battery flight was 141F (60.5C) with my MA2. I've used the battery several times since with no issue. I didn't receive any Temp warnings or anything else.

Back when I had my MM1 I would routinely see Low Voltage warnings when flying in hot humid weather in Sport mode, and also a few times flying below freezing. (Humidity makes the air less dense thereby requiring the drone to work harder, just like flying way up in the mountains).

I suspect that the Low Voltage warning would pop up before a Temp Warning with the MA2, though this is only conjecture.

I say fly keep flying, if it's an issue your batteries firmware will warn the app and you can get it warranty replaced.

Personally If I need to replace a battery out of pocket I just look at that as the cost of flying. I think these drones are built pretty well and they are usually crashed before something fails.

Best of luck out there, happy flying!
Thanks for sharing your firsthand experience of hot battery temperatures.

I have nothing to worry about since you have flown with a much hotter battery.

As for flying in cold temperatures, just 2 weeks ago I flew in -23°F (-30°C) weather and had no annunciations or warning messages. However, the battery never got cooler than 75°F (24°C) during the flight due to preheating the battery. Incredible!

Reactions: joeywestside

Is there a DJI Fly caution message that annunciates above a certain battery temperature?

Thanks!
yes if the batt exceeds usually 70c
You will get a message for over heating battery.

I think DJI should reword this section of the MA2 User Manual:

“... the battery cell temperature operating range is 41°F to 104°F.”
Are you sure the manual actually says that?
I can't find it at all.
The closest I can find is regarding battery charging on p25 where it says:
Temperature Detection:
In order to protect itself, the battery only charges when the temperature is between 41° and 104° F (5°and 40° C).

It's normal for batteries to become hot when supplying power.

Are you sure the manual actually says that?
I can't find it at all.
The closest I can find is regarding battery charging on p25 where it says:
Temperature Detection:
In order to protect itself, the battery only charges when the temperature is between 41° and 104° F (5°and 40° C).

It's normal for batteries to become hot when supplying power.
Screenshot_20210223-144538.png

That's exactly the part I referred to above.
Read the whole sentence, not just a couple of words (you highlighted) from the sentence.
Well, according to the manual the "operating range" is 41°F to 104°F.

End of conversation, I'm over this. DJI should reword this sentence for clarity.

The manual editing team should replace this section with "charging temperature range" or something similar.

See ya - safe flights ✌️

Well, according to the manual the "operating range" is 41°F to 104°F.

End of conversation, I'm over this. DJI should reword this sentence for clarity.

The manual editing team should replace this section with "charging temperature range" or something similar.

See ya - safe flights ✌️
And the operation being discussed is CHARGING.
That's very clear from the section you refer to.
Unless you are charging your battery during flight, you don't have a problem (except with reading).

If you want to proofread DJI manuals you'll find plenty of contradictions and actual misinformation without worrying about such trivial things.

And the operation being discussed is CHARGING.
That's very clear from the section you refer to.
Unless you are charging your battery during flight, you don't have a problem (except with reading).

If you want to proofread DJI manuals you'll find plenty of contradictions and actual misinformation without worrying about such trivial things.
End of conversation, good day.

Safe flights ?

Elsewhere in the manual (under "specifications") you'll see that the operating temperate of the drone is -10 to 40 C (14 to 104 F). Again, that is the ambient air temperature for flying in - not the temperature of an internal component.

As for the OP, 123F as a battery temperature is not really an issue for the MA2. While most of my flights are under that, I've had several higher. My original Air was almost always higher than that. Keep flying, you are good to go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BugHunter