DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hot Pixels? Anyone else experience white dots in dark video?

JerseyDroner1

Jersey Droner
Reactions
Site
www.youtube.com
DJI has had my drone for over a week now. I sent it to them because of stars that were appearing in video and moving with the camera. The drone is just under a year old. Anyone else experience this? Some photographers in the Jersey Droners have said they look like hot pixels and agreed it was worth sending in. There are three forming a triangle in the rop of the screen so anything with a dark sky makes them really prominent. I'm still waiting. DJI said my drone was out of warranty, but I think thats because I sent in the confirmation from best buy with my order and pick up date but not the actual receipt. They have not been clear if thats the issue so I'm still waiting... This is not the best example, but you can see the brightest one here. (hot pixels)

I was trying to film a night shot of a ship coming through the channel and actually switched to my zoom because the three dots were so bad..

Anyone else experience this? Any reasons why?

I have had a couple of issues with DJI. Firstly they billed, and sent, x2 DJI Mavic 2 Pros when I only ordered one.
I received them yesterday. Rejected one as the parcel had already been opened by the courier.
Having tested the drone camera indoors, on the one I kept (no flying involved) I could see on the stills there were red and green and white pixels.
Assuming this was extreme low light conditions I could live with a few red pixels on stills, but white ones on video, not so much.

Having done a video, I can see the white stuck pixels and will be requesting to return the drone, today.
Annoyingly I bought a second hand Mavic 2 Pro, a week before, and the video from it was perfect, except two blurred areas at the bottom of the shot on video and stills. That was a 2018 model. As the blurry images on video on that one was not mentioned, that was returned also.

I thought buying direct, from DJI, and brand new would solve the quality control issues. Nope.

As for why. I have been told in the past that this is normally when a company is getting ready to 'launch' (pardon the pun) a new product, the last machines produced are what is commonly referred to as a, 'parts bin', product.

They throw anything they have handy together and refurbish older items and make a product.

I wonder if it was due to the sensor getting warm?

Having just tested it again after letting the drone cool down the white spots have diminished, but are still visible.
That also maybe because the sun had come up and the available light was better in my living room, thus not stressing the sensor as much as I did in the previous testing, which was before the sun came up.

Sadly, for me, I do not think I am going to accept mine in this condition. Good luck with yours.

Attachments

• DJI_0015-Edit.jpg
    DJI_0015-Edit.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.37.18.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.37.18.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.20.54.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.20.54.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.40.15.jpg
    Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 07.40.15.jpg