DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

White dots in night photography

blackbirdsr72

Reactions
I am noticing pronounced white dots like hot pixels, in the images taken at night. I have everything updated from the DJI Fly app down to the Battery Firmware. Is this a problem with my settings (Manual 100 ISO with Auto shutter speed) or the image sensor is degrading? I don't recall seeing these in any of my early images taken by the Air 2S. Below are the links to the original DNG image and enhanced JPGs for your convenience.

1. Original DNG: 1. Original DNG.DNG

2. Enhanced JPG (1): 2. Enhanced JPG (1).jpg

3. Enhanced JPG (2): 3. Enhanced JPG (2).jpg

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am noticing pronounced white dots like hot pixels, in the images taken at night. I have everything updated from the DJI Fly app down to the Battery Firmware. Is this a problem with my settings (Manual 100 ISO with Auto shutter speed) or the image sensor is degrading? I don't recall seeing these in any of my early images taken by the Air 2S. Below are the links to the original DNG image and enhanced JPGs for your convenience.

1. Original DNG: https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... jG/view?usp=sharing
2. Enhanced JPG (1): https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... BU/view?usp=sharing
3. Enhanced JPG (2): https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... B9/view?usp=sharing

Thanks.
All three links show this error message. You need to make the files publicly viewable.

"Sorry, unable to open the file at this time."

All three links show this error message. You need to make the files publicly viewable.

"Sorry, unable to open the file at this time."
Sorry for the trouble. I have replaced the links with new ones. Please try again now.

The tiny white dots are hot pixels, a common problem on almost all camera sensors during long exposures.
Your photo has a 20 second exposure, and it is inevitable to get some dead pixels. Some DSLR-cameras have built-in long exposure noise reduction, but the exposure then takes twice as long to complete.
There is not much you can do except remove the dots with a clone tool or similar, or carefully using the dust and scartches filter in Photoshop.
Here is some reading:

I see a few hot pixels, one red and several white ones. That,s very normal, every sensor has them.
But I also see something like a white hair/scratch just under the structure, a little bit to the right. That looks not normal to me. You better check if it occurs on all your shots. If yes, better change your drone for a new one.

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
Below are the links to the original DNG image and enhanced JPGs for your convenience.
Your images are mostly black.
The subject occupies only a small area and it's very poorly lit.
The key to low light photography is to have low light, rather than no light.
Look for some subjects/scenes that are lit rather than such a large area of blackness.

The tiny white dots are hot pixels, a common problem on almost all camera sensors during long exposures.
Your photo has a 20 second exposure, and it is inevitable to get some dead pixels. Some DSLR-cameras have built-in long exposure noise reduction, but the exposure then takes twice as long to complete.
There is not much you can do except remove the dots with a clone tool or similar, or carefully using the dust and scartches filter in Photoshop.
Here is some reading:
Thanks for the article!

I see a few hot pixels, one red and several white ones. That,s very normal, every sensor has them.
But I also see something like a white hair/scratch just under the structure, a little bit to the right. That looks not normal to me. You better check if it occurs on all your shots. If yes, better change your drone for a new one.
Thanks for pointing it out I will have to see my previous images of similar fashion and find out.

Your images are mostly black.
The subject occupies only a small area and it's very poorly lit.
The key to low light photography is to have low light, rather than no light.
Look for some subjects/scenes that are lit rather than such a large area of blackness.
On point.

1. Original DNG: 1. Original DNG.DNG

2. Enhanced JPG (1): 2. Enhanced JPG (1).jpg

3. Enhanced JPG (2): 3. Enhanced JPG (2).jpg

Thanks.
They are flying insects attracted by light. It's common during nights . Just my opinion .
Thanks

Reactions: blackbirdsr72
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne